MLB Season Discussion - 2013

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Bobby Valentine. Problem solved.

2. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

I'd ask Ernie Whitt to give it a shot.

3. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Matt Harvey is hurt.

:brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

5. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

Damn! And he was having a stellar year too.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

He may not have to have Tommy John surgery - they don't know yet.

7. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I was going to come in here and go on some rant about the lol Mets, start singing Meet the Mess, meet the Mess, step right up and great the Mess. I just don't have it in me, for only the Mets can trade Marlon Byrd only hours before Marlon Byrd tee-shirt night at Shea Stadium.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Apparently they did manage to invent time travel though. ;)

9. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

When ever I get mad at the Mets I then refer to Citi-Field as Shea Stadium. I know that pisses off Jeff Wilpon just a little bit...

10. Danny99

11. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

I'm not sure Gibbons can really be held responsible for the starting rotation being a dumpster fire. He doesn't build the roster.

12. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Someone has to get the blame. I'm sure the folks at the front office don't mind the finger being pointed at Gibbons while they pretend they don't exist right now. ;)

13. Danny99

Yeah, the rotation has had a horrendous year, but watching this team as much as I have this season, there are things Gibbons and his team did have control over:

1) They lack the basic fundamentals in batting and in the field. So many mistakes repeated and repeated that they could have worked out with some coaching.

2) People have praised him for use of the bullpen, but he never lets his starters, when they are having a good outing, go any further than six or seven innings. He's either married to a pitch count or doesn't have any trust in them. And when he did have one of the best bullpens, he relied completed on Cecil and Delabar, the latter ending up on the DL from overuse.

3) This team has been under .500 for the majority of the season, yet when this team hits a home-run, they do the stupid V salute or jump around like idiots. They win one game in ten and they are doing stupid jump celebrations in the outfield. It's so bush league for a team that has been absolutely dreadful.

The only other theory I subscribe besides AA and Gibbons complete incompetence is that this clubhouse is being run by Bautista and has stopped the staff or the new players from having any kind of influence to make this team better or they have been sucked into this black hole as well. Why do I blame Bautista? He's been constantly consulted by ownership or the front office over the manager or anyone else. He's got no fear of goofing off in the dugout in Houston when they are getting bitchslapped by the worst team in baseball. If you aren't going to fire AA and Gibbons, trade Bautista and pick up some useful pieces to shore up the other holes. Let him be someone else's problem.

14. Timby

The major-league level is not where players should need to have coaching in fundamentals. A dude learns where the strike zone is by the time he's 21 / 22, and a pitcher generally has his stuff around the same age, outside of really random outliers like Dickey who defy any statistical probability. If Toronto players' fundamentals are broken, then that speaks to an institutional problem.

You can't agree that a starting rotation is a tire fire (and say Gibbons should be fired for almost all of them being terrible) and then say that the Jays aren't letting their starters go deep, so Gibbons should be fired. You're trying to have it both ways.

When you're a dogshit team, you celebrate a win. Sometimes a shitty team needs to have a celebration, just to keep going for morale.

I do think that AA is definitely in over his head, mostly because his "get all the mediocre relievers, ever, and let's go all-in on the big-name players we can get" plan has fallen flat on its face.

15. Danny99

Gibbons was a horrible re-tread to start with and though this team has been nothing short of a complete disaster, one has to think that a fresh face and not one from the past. It's like if the Cubs decided to re-hire Jim Riggleman.

AA has been on a decline since he took over and one has to think that as soon as the owners opening the purse strings, he went on a save his skin kind of binge instead of building. This fan base really didn't expect anything from the Blue Jays this year; they didn't need to go crazy.

16. Timby

Yet you're excoriating AA and Gibbons. :lol:

17. Danny99

I meant that as before they made the Reyes and Dickey deals.

18. Timby

Someone needs to invite Starlin Castro to go on a horseback riding trip with them:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/are-ml...-132156423.html

19. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How often do people get hurt playing paddleball? :p

And really... bad contract or not don't you think it's a bit harsh that you're wishing bodily harm on this person? ;)

20. Timby

It truly is. So I'll switch to my other favorite whipping boy, Rubén Amaro, Jr., who traded Michael Young (still inexplicably perceived as a legitimate asset) for a minor-league pitcher.

I know I say "Rube gonna Rube" a lot, and Alidar Jarok will probably smack me if we ever meet up in-person ... but, man, Rube has had a historically bad year as a GM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.