The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2009.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

711 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Above Average

213 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Average

84 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Below Average

46 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Poor

77 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

My love for the film isn't exactly subtle... but I'll second this.

My dads seeing the movie tonight and I'm looking forward to his reaction. As a bonus someone bought tickets for me this weekend so we could watch it together - this is someone who had no interest in Star Trek and since she saw the 'Two steps from hell' ad she's watched all the best of my TOS, DS9, movies and TNG.

Good film + new interest = Awesome. For me at least.

2. timmay2411

timmay2411 Captain Captain

Did anyone see James Cawley?

I looked but didn't see him. He wasn't credited either.

Heard Greg Grunberg's voice though.

3. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

However Kirk was already a 3rd year cadet. He was also Pike's "golden boy". So he had some heavy weight sponsorship in Starfleet, plus his dad was a Starfleet hero.

-Chris

4. Chess Piece Face

Chess Piece Face Commodore Commodore

I voted Excellent. I loved it.

I only have 2 very tiny nits to pick. The car stealing scene was cheesy and the ice monster chase was pointless and fake looking.

THAT'S IT.

The fucking movie is amazing. I consider myself a hardcore trekker. It is a good movie. Period.

My two non trekkie pals loved it. One is 25, the other 32.

5. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

As far as I know his and Jeff Quinn's scenes were cut. :(

6. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I just realized that every officer in Starfleet has the arrowhead on their uniform. In TOS, every ship had their own crest and the arrowhead was only used on the Enterprise.

7. Chess Piece Face

Chess Piece Face Commodore Commodore

Plus, you know, they all saved the planet Earth. Heh.

Also, it is implied that the natural order of Destiny is to have him be the captain and spock the XO, by old Spock.

Finally - it's a movie.

8. Agent Richard07

I was just looking at the IMDb and noticed that he played the stepdad.

9. cbspock

The Enterprise design and Bridge design didn't bother me like it had been when I first saw them in the trailer. I thought it all worked. If you looked closely the layout on the consoles was very in line with the old TOS consoles, the buttons were laid out in the same half circles.

-Chris

10. cbspock

Yep. It all worked IMO. When old Spock was looking in on the promotion ceremony, and he says "full thrusters", and we cut to the Enterprise, I thought that was a nice touch at the end.

-Chris

11. cbspock

The Ice Monster chase, and the little one being eaten by the other just screamed ILM, Star Wars BS effects for the effect sake.

-Chris

12. Mr. B

Mr. B Vice Admiral Admiral

I think your review nailed it. This film is just as bad judged as regular cinema fare as it is judged as part of the Star Trek franchise. I know most people seem to disagree and find that this two hours of loosely strung together one-liners and explosions ranks among the best of Star Trek. I'm sure Paramount and Nokia couldn't be happier.

13. Agent Richard07

I'll be on the lookout next time. I seem to remember some blurb from a few weeks back about a blonde actress playing a nurse, but I forgot about it and didn't look out for anything when I actually saw the movie.

14. galleywest

galleywest Lovable Flake Premium Member

I didn't see or read ANY spoilers for this film. Not one. So for me, it was a LOT to take in all at once. I didn't have the benefit of several months or weeks to digest the new direction the movie was going to take. I understand the frustration of having to hear these comments for months before the film even opened and can see why the "deal with it, already" crowd is so strong here. Having not been prepped on the alternate universe thing, however...I'm still reeling! Give me time.

Oh, and: Sulu and the samurai sword scene. That was AWESOME, and I absolutely LOVED it.

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not quite true. Especially in the first year that practice was spotty and inconsistent in TOS. In "Court Martial" Kirk chats in a bar with two officers who are clearly not assigned to the Enterprise ("I haven't seen you since the Vulcanian expedition") but who wear the arrowhead.

16. Agent Richard07

Guess we can write the different crests off as a temporary thing around the time of TOS then.

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

You know, I didn't notice a single bar-code scanner during the entire film - I know they were all over the place, but I didn't notice. :lol:

In fact, none of the complaints I had before seeing the film - about the score, or Engineering, or the bridge - bothered me a bit while I was watching it. I was just so there.

18. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

Thats another thing - the score was brilliant! I've been listening to some of it in YouTube today - just some really nice work.

19. thesadpanda

thesadpanda Commander Red Shirt

Loved the movie. My only complaint was that the action was so unrelenting. It was almost TOO MUCH. I started to feel a little sensory overload and I think it kept me from taking in how truly awesome what I was watching was. The brief respite when Kirk meets old Spock on Delta Vega was VERY welcome but it didn't last very long -- they were up and running with more action almost immediately. I'm not trying to argue in favor of endless talking heads but I would have been nice to have a few quiet scenes just for contrast! Still, when the worst thing you can think of to say about a movie is it was too freakin' exciting, that's a good thing!

As for the rest, yeah, I could quibble about some things. How'd they know Nero was a Romulan if they'd never seen Romulans? Spock and Uhura, huh? Why didn't Nero use red matter to destroy the star that was going to destroy Romulus instead of going after Federation planets? But you know what -- WHO CARES? The Onion video that was linked to earlier in this thread hit the nail on the head. Everybody should go watch it.

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/trekkies_bash_new_star_trek_film?utm_source=videoembed

I prefer to concentrate on how much butt this movie kicked and leave it at that!

20. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Come on :(

I always value people that make me laugh. Please stay....