Which part of the ship is this?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by asp7485, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Woulfe

Woulfe Commodore Commodore

Actually it's not Steel or Aluminum....

It's Rodenberryum !

- W -
    * Or something like that *

2. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Right, because there are NO other elements of this design that are Refit-esque. Not at all.

3. Woulfe

^ It's a joke son ! ^

If it was the secondary hull the pylons would be attched, as in the teaser it looks like the ship is all welded together as one whole unit.

- W -
    * Humor, it is a difficult concept.... *

4. Tiberius Jim

I actually didn't get the impression at all. Where in the trailer do we see the entire ship completely put together? I got the impression that its still separated into its main parts.

5. Stag

Stag Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed. It appears in the teaser that there is a welder working on one of the nacelle pylons of to the side, or at least it appears to be away from the main construction on the primary hull. It appears right after the words "the future begins".

6. Tiberius Jim

Exactly, thats what gives me the impression that the ship is being built in sections, and then they bring those main pieces into space for final assembly.

7. Woulfe

^ SIGH ! ^

Okay, if it is the secondary hull then why the Shatner Hairpiece / Nacelle Forskin / Gabe Cowl on the end of it ?

Which we've only seen on the Nacelles themselves ?

- W -
    * SIGH *

8. Stag

You can't make out that it is that for sure. Another thought could be that if you are looking forward on the top of the secondary hull, that cowl/foreskin is actually the makings of the dorsal connector between the two hulls. Albeit thicker and bigger then the one we are used to, but hey everything about this ship seems to be bigger and thicker.

(Here come the dick jokes...) :rommie:

Edit: It has to be the secondary hull. If you zoom in towards the center of the cowl in the hi-def version you can see one of the new shuttlecraft. Screencap link below:

Link to shuttle pic

9. InstantKarma

InstantKarma Lieutenant Red Shirt

Giving Gabe Koerner credit for this is misleading and wrong.

There are similarities in the design, but the producers have gone on record saying that they first saw Koerner's design a long time after theirs was made.

The raised area on the front of the nacelles is indeed the Glans Nacelles.

10. Stag

So if this is a prequel, when they come up with the design for the nacelles of TOS time period, do they use an engineer or a moyel? ;)

11. InstantKarma

InstantKarma Lieutenant Red Shirt

How can you speculate that this is a prequel? It's so different from the few things we've seen it has to be a relaunch or reboot.

There is no sane way to justify it being a prequel in the same line of canon.

12. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

There are several sane ways to justify it being a prequel.

First. Since they have the keys to the franchise, they only have to simply say that it is.

Second. We know nothing about the plot of the film to see how it respects canon.

Third. One of the writers says he's a fan. I believe he is. He seems to know the novels or at least knows to name drop the really good ones. He also has implied in his postings over at Trekmovie.com that there will be nods to the history of Trek.

Fourth. It really is all about the story being told.

Anyone who concludes that this is simply some kind of reboot or relaunch is oversimplifying something that could potentially be complex in scope.

13. TK421

TK421 Commodore Commodore

A Gabe Cowl?

Sheesh, let's call it what it really is - a foreskin.

14. shipfisher

shipfisher Commander Red Shirt

Just a little visual math here with regard to the "nacelle" shot:

Take the height of the worker with helmet walking to the left of center in the shot as just under 2 metres. Multiples of his height between the inboard side of each "intercooler fin" - about 12, so let's round this down to a very conservative 20 metres. This arc between the intercoolers is at most 2/3 the overall diameter of the nacelle - now a conservative 30 metres at the rear.

Max diameter for the TOS nacelles is quoted (I think) as 17.5 metres - less at the rear intercoolers as the nacs taper down slightly from the front. Overall quoted ship length - 289 to 300 metres

In proportion, this gives a conservative overall length closer to a 642m galaxy class (ie. nearly 600m) if this is a dorsal nacelle shot. (as an aside, I remember a scale diagram of the "Gabeterprise" when it first came out suggesting it was about this big)

I suppose we can hang our hats on the fact that the overall length of the 1701 was never explicitly stated on screen, so big movie - big ship - why not?

Addendum: If you compare the size of the welders in the 1st official pic of the upper ship from the front and compare it to the size of the figures standing on the saucer at the end of ST:TMP, the above size "boost" calc seems about right, so it looks like JJ's put canon to the cannon here, even if we assume that the ship isn't much bigger, but the relative size/dia. of the nacs is.

15. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

At first I too thought we were looking from the front of the nacelle to its back but now I'm convinced that is it the reverse... we're seeing the front of the nacelle from its back... On the left side of the image you can see something above the intercooler that could be the top of the bridge-module...

16. Thomas Riker

Thomas Riker Commander Red Shirt

The Front of the nacelles remind me of an aircraft engine. I suppose it will need those to launch out of earth's atmosphere, but after SRB seperation, the warp engines probably deploy!!!! Thank god I worked that out just about put a hitch on the whole damn thing. :vulcan:

17. sithlord

sithlord Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Another vote for secondary hull, looking towards the shuttle bay. Unless the intercoolers are now in the center of the nacelle (which they don't appear to be in the final image of the teaser,) those are the beginnings of angled pylons ala the TMP refit. If it's a nacelle, then shit, this a huge f***ing ship!

18. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Or it could simply be that the yard here is tasked with applying the surface finish, all those plates of unobtainium, on all the components that have been manufactured elsewhere sans plating. Once that's done, all the things could be shipped to various parts of the globe again, to receive their final innards. And then the whole kit 'n kaboodle is launched to space, separately, component by component, and assembled there.

Or then the surface plating is done as the very first stage of construction, on this yard, and the components are then internally furnished. You know, how they used to build ships in the past.

I mean, we'll probably never see any further shots on the actual construction of the big bad lady. The first time we see her in the movie will be when she already floats in space. How she got there is and will remain anybody's guess.

As for "back or front", I refrain from voting - but I remain convinced that the fins will be close to the back of the nacelles, because that's the definition of cool. Impressions to the contrary must be optical illusions.

Or then Star Fleet Division prefers imported labor from Dwarvia Minor.

But the TOS ship could use some scaling up, to give the saucer at least two full-height decks and stuff. TMP ship, likewise, of course, to fit in the Rec Deck without applying technology proprietary to Time Lords. Still, 3x scaleup is a bit excessive...

Timo Saloniemi

19. Woulfe

Another Poll ? Why Not ?

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Just when I think I'm a big nerd, I read threads like this and realize that there are much bigger nerds than me.

I gotta say, how do you people know that the scale is off compared to "what we're used to?"

How often have we seen people standing on the outside of the original Enterprise?