DRGIII posted the cover for his The Fall novel on FB.

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Mage, May 22, 2013.

1. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I really the new design of the station, although I agree with others who have it looks "too CGI-y." Nonetheless, it's very exciting to see.

Fantastic interview with lots of insights on the upcoming series, particularly George's entry (complete with a brief excerpt). I look forward to the following interviews of the other authors.

2. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So two years have passed since DS9 was destroyed. So The Fall will be set in mid-2385.

3. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, I wish the pictures were bigger. :( But the new station does look great!!

4. rahullak

rahullak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Creeping up on 2387. :techman:

5. AdmiralMike

AdmiralMike Ensign Newbie

It's probably the Denorios Belt

6. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Doug Drexler AND Andrew Probert designed it? Neat!

7. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

What's it docked too? The shuttle bay of the Galaxy? It looks more like its backed up to the station (maybe there's a Canadarm in the Galaxy's shuttle bay that the engineers need to use on that section of the station).

8. mindx2

mindx2 Commander Red Shirt

I guess I've been out of the loop but when reading the startrek.com article DRGIII mentions his editors as both Ed Schlesinger and Margaret Clark . I thought Margret Clark was no longer a Star Trek editor? When did she come back? If she is back that great news! :techman:

9. DorkBoy [TM]

DorkBoy [TM] Captain Captain

That was a good article. I'm really excited for these books now. :)

Really enjoying the TOS interlude, but DS9 is my favorite. The new DS9 looks great! And I'm so glad that the DS9 series is finally back (after years of neglect).

10. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If I'm not mistaken she is working as a freelancer for S&S, so she isn't permanently with them, but only brought in when she's needed. Basically what Keith R.A. DeCandido has done in the past.

11. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Have any more images (or plans !) of the new station been released yet ?

12. Mage

13. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

It does like another book cover rather than a generic image, you can see the Enterprise-E so it's either book 2 or 4.

i wonder if the return of the wormhole will mean the return of a certain character? All 'dead' Trek characters these days seem to return...

14. EddyDrama

EddyDrama Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I like the cover. Great that we get to see the new station on the cover.

15. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Great Interview with David R. George about this book and designing this bookcover and a lot of stuff about this novel and the upcoming TNG/Ds9 crossover there's also a interview with Doug Drexler about how artists design book covers .It's Really interesting to hear how the editors writers and publishers & artists design the covers for the upcoming Star Trek crossover books.There's some interesting stuff about some of ds9 characters mentioned in both interviews.:techman:

16. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

Plus, having the wormhole in the background lets the more casual reader know "This is the new DS9!"

17. datalogan

datalogan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I’m a little disappointed in the new DS9 for 2 reasons not yet mentioned here:

1) It seems too small. I mean, with the Galaxy-class ship apparently docked with DS9 and the Excelsior-class ship in the background, it makes the station seem fairly small. I thought one of the big points made in Raise the Dawn was that the old station was just too small to keep up with the large amount of traffic in the area and that a bigger station was going to be built. I was expecting and really looking forward to a truly massive station. One with rings large enough to actually allow a Galaxy-class ship [or similar] to enter the ring for docking and repair, etc. Still, this is just a drawing; maybe the station really is big once you actually read what is inside the novels about it.

2) It’s bulk is too focused along one axis. The way the station was described in Raise the Dawn, I was expecting all of the rings—in all three dimensions—were going to be large and full of docking ports and bays. This just makes sense in space; no dimension is any more important than another. It also implied to me that gravity would be oriented differently in the rings; not all oriented in the same direction as the center core. Maybe all oriented toward the center like a world. But this design makes one axis much bigger—and therefore more important—than the others. And that’s a bit of a disappointment.

18. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Pre-ordered the book today:)

19. Mage

20. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

That station looks awful.
    They took a fantastic design, managed to nostalgic the shit out of it and turn it into a fan kit-bash.