Star Trek Imponderables #1 - continuity errors video

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by F. King Daniel, Apr 16, 2012.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFq-37a7pk0[/YT]

Something I've been working on in my spare time. I wanted to teach myself video editing, and I thought this would be fun.

A look at some of Star Trek's myriad continuity errors. I'll make another if anyone enjoys this one.

2. free2131

free2131 Ensign Red Shirt

A few of those can be explained away.

* nuChekov could have been born earlier than in the Prime Universe because of the attack on the Kelvin. Chaos Theory allows that one thing could affect many other things.

* Riker was referring to a setting of "Level 17" which would obviously be more powerful both in intensity and technological wise to the TOS phasers. Also, using a setting that could bring down "half a building" would be a pretty dumb thing to do in a cave.

*It's long been known that TAS isn't considered canon.

* All the pulses would have the exact same modulation because Data programed them in all three time periods. Since present Data's reading showed three identical pulses, it logically follows that those pulses would have come from the same source, and Data even prefaces the statement with "It's as if..."

* "Future Guy" was messing with the timeline, so something he told the Sulibon to do obviously prevented the war that Picard spoke of. Again, chaos theory allows for this.

* D7's were retired decades ago. Those could be D15 or so. The Federation used Excelsior class ships in the 24th century. Surely a scan would reveal them to be much more advanced than the one captained by Sulu.

The rest were errors. As for the video, it is very well put together. Very good job!

3. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

One of the easiest explaination would be that Starfleet doesn't keep very good records, so that Picard couldn't have found out about the Borg, even though Archer had previously encountered them.

I can't buy this, Starfleet loses ships on a regular basis, how could losing one ship effect the timing of birth of a Russian child?

:)

4. david lowbridge

david lowbridge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

have to agree with that one. the klingons seem to use the same hull configuration for a lot of ships. There are numerous types of bird of prey, yet they all look very similar but have different capabilities.

Loved the torpedo one though. It is true...

Well put together video I must add.

5. Captain Mike

Captain Mike Commodore Commodore

Not to mention the K'Tinga Class which has the same design from TMP. At a glance you could say they look exactly alike. ;)

6. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

* The galactic boundary thing is kind of strangely depicted in Star Trek. In one case, it's the edge of the galaxy and in another it's the center?

* Although the age of Chekov doesn't bother me, I do find it kind of silly how the writer didn't bother to look up his age in TOS. Given how he's only 4 years off... very close. Why not be right on target, right? The effort to check it would've taken only a few minutes.

* I do agree that the Klingon D-7 design went through numerous upgrades over time. There is "official" retirement, but then there's time when you pull everything out of mothballs for an all-out war; every ship becomes valuable, even the retired ones (if they can be retrofitted for service).

* With an enemy as powerful as the Borg, I'd find it unconscionable for Starfleet not to keep very good records on them! The simplest explanation is that it's a timeline error. ENT "revised" a number of previously established "future" events.

* The torpedo gaff in VOY was one of the more glaring ones... although, remember it's just one line in one episode, not something that is emphasized repeatedly. So, I like to chalk it up to "writer's blunder" and continue with the assumption that they can manufacture replacement photon torpedoes periodically on their own.

* I can forgive the time calculation based on light years. We didn't see a solid formula presented in TOS, where multiple calculations were presented in several different episodes that all followed the same formula. I think we saw some disparities even in TNG. Even within VOY, there were some inconsistencies. But, as long as it's "background" info that is only momentarily presented and not lingered on, it's not a big deal IMHO.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  7. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

I did want to add KingDaniel, that I thought that was a extremely well made video, nicely put together.

Please make more.

:)

8. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

KingDaniel, this was a very well done video. I would love to see more. For me, ST in all its forms is joyful entertainment. I don't get wrapped around the axle if continuity isn't perfect. I love to chuckle at things like this. Nicely done.

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thank you all! :)

10. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At the office and can't access YouTube, so I don't know what was presented in the clip. But someone suggested something years ago about the galactic barrier business to reconcile its location. Rather than a spherical or a convex lens shaped "shell" of energy, it follows a pattern not unlike the lines of magnetic force around a planetary body. It's a "torus" or "doughnut" shaped. Thus, from the position of the spiral arms, if you head "out" of the galaxy, ZAP, you hit it. If you try to head "in" toward the core of the galaxy, ZAP, you hit it again.

Yeah, there are a lOT of other plotholes to patch, but I must admit I never considered that arrangement for the "barrier", but I kinda' like the alignment.

Sincerely,

Bill

11. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

Easy - because of the attack, Chekov's Starfleet father shipped out early, and therefore his five year mission ended earlier, so he could get back home and start a family sooner than in the Prime Universe. :)

12. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Love it! Can't wait for #2. :techman: