How Did You Discover "Smallville"?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Dec 5, 2010.

1. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

My favorite episode is still from the first season, when the guy who played the dad in The Wonder Years was the football coach who could make fire. The field's sprinkler system spittin' out flames was an awesome visual.

:techman:

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I remember that episode. My favorite episode is "Legion". There was almost nothing wrong with it :)

3. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I knew the show was starting, so I tuned in for the pilot. A roommate was also interested in the show since he was big on comic books. Even in the pilot, I knew Clark was an idiot for ignoring Chloe while pining after Lana.

Unfortunately, it turned out the second episode with the kryptonite freak football coach was a sign of things to come, which of course I didn't know at the time. Another roommate happened to walk by while that episode was playing and thought it was the most stupid thing ever on TV.

Eventually I bailed on the show, I think sometime before or during when Michael Rosenbaum and/or Kristin Kreuk quit.

It was the second time I had watched a few seasons of a long-running show only to be burned out/annoyed by how bad it was and quit, after Star Trek: Voyager.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I remember that episode where Lana killed someone and Clark tried to protect her or something. It was never brought up again. That would have been a mature and interesting story arc to play around with if they wanted to.

5. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was living in L.A. and there were billboards EVERYWHERE. Naked guy tied up with a big "S" spraypainted on his chest. It was inexcapable.

Watched the pilot. Didn't like it outside of Rosenbaum as Lex. Watched the occasional random episode over the years: Christopher Reeve appearance, Geoff Johns penned tales, etc.

10 is the first season I've watched all the way through....so far.

6. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I started watching in 2006 I think. My housemate at uni had all the seasons that were released on dvd and we watched it while eating dinner, usually a few episodes a night. Didn't take us long to work through the first 6/7 seasons.

And then when we caught up with the show we watched them weekly.

Because we watched the first half of the series so close together it's a bit of a blur (;)) so I can't really pinpoint what really grabbed me, but it's a good show and yeah it has it's problems but you know what you're getting with Smallville. It's reliable and has pretty people it's been pretty good with DC mythology, especially in the last couple of years.

7. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

I know it was in early 2001 sometime, I just can't remember the specifics. I assume on the internet somewhere. I know I heard that The WB was coming out with a show about a teenaged Clark Kent. I also remember that first thing I actually saw of it was a preview image of the scene with Clark and Lana at the cemetery. Now, given my impressions of what WB programming was like, I assumed that it would mostly be typical teen angst stuff, with a little bit of emerging super-powers thrown in. I still planned on checking it out anyway, because it was Superman for Pete's sake. Thankfully, the angst/superhero ratio wasn't as bad as I thought it would be (though there still was plenty of the former).

I've been watching since day one. Over 9 straight years. :techman:

8. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I don't remember exactly when I heard about the show, but I did see some cast photos in a magazine in the summer of 2001 and this being Superman, I knew I'd check it out but I didn't have WB in my cable package so I couldn't. Then November 2001 came around and a station started airing it, so I started watching. As I remember it, I had taped the first two episodes and watched them while I was home, sick with a bad cold.

9. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

From the pilot. I actually think I Tivo'd it and it ran long on WGN Chicago...I still haven't seen the last few minutes of the pilot all these years later.

10. saturn5

saturn5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I first watched an ep because it had Lynda Carter as a guest star. Aside from that Kristin Keurk is hot and so is supergirl but it's nothing special

11. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Been here since the beginning...

12. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

I don't remember how I found out about it, probably a commercial on TV or something, I was watching other shows on at the time on that channel so it was a natural progression that I watch Smallville since I'm interested in that kinda stuff.

I've been watching it since it premiered on TV.

13. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm sure I read about it in a magazine or something describing upcoming TV shows. I thought the idea of a show about Clark and not Superman or Superboy would never work. Though since I'm a comics nut, I had to watch it, and I've never really stopped since the pilot. Despite its flaws it a good contemporary take on the character and the mythos.

14. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Been watching since the pilot. I think back then it was paired with BTVS.

15. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Was it ever paired with BTVS?

I watched Charmed during that time I think

I can't remember what happened 10 years ago :p

I know I watched all those shows, so whatever was on then, I watched it

16. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

^

Not possible - Buffy was paired with Angel before goin' over to UPN.

17. Aragorn

^ It was possible if you lived in a small town/city that doesn't have enough local stations to have UPN/WB affiliates. In those instances the other stations could've run UPN/WB shows on syndication time slots, e.g. Enterprise on Saturday at 5 p.m. followed by Angel at 6 p.m.

18. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

^

On the same nights? I remember before Austin/San Marcos had seperate stations for 'em, ya got WB programmin' durin' the week & UPN shows on the weekends.

19. Aragorn

The town I used to live in when I was younger didn't have any UPN or WB affiliates, so Fox ran their shows on the weekends. And since Fox doesn't program the 10 p.m. hour on weeknights, I guess they could've run shows then too.

20. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

At first I didn't want anything to do with it. I didn't like the teenage aingst shit that I heard about it and frankly the CW as it's called now, didn't produce any show that I ever liked. I always chose Enterprise over Smallvile. They were both on at the same time. I am a huge Superman fan, but Smallville to me was not Superman. One night I was bored and there was really nothing on but a Smallvile marathon on ABC Fam. They had the first three seasons. It was more than one night, but a marathon. I decided to just finally give it a chance. I watched it and I liked it, not instantly, but still. This was in the winter in the middle of the fourth season, so I sorta missed it.

I usually work at night and was unable to watch the series in real time. I decided that since I had missed the first half of the fourth season I would just wait for the dvd. I bought the season dvd and it was the fourth season that I really loved the show.I ten decided to watch in real time from season five, but work always got in the way, so I would watch up until the about the midway point then work would get in the way. I just decided to be behind one season each year. I just decided to buy the dvd and watch each season that way. I had that system up until this year. I'm unemployed now and fuly caught up. I have been watching in real time each week this season. Unless I get a job soon, I will probably get to see the entire season. I will still buy the blue ray(now) though.