Marvel release dates: Thor and The Avengers delayed a year

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Mar 12, 2009.

1. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

It does seem as if Captain America has its work cut out for it; but if they go the World War 2 route (and from what I have heard, they are) then the camp factor can be lessened. After all, it can be made into a story about an elite soldier battling Nazis, which is something that can jive with audiences

2. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Captain America is only a camp character if he's written that way. True, that tends to be the portrayal usually associated with the character, but one can look to the Ultimate line for an example of the perils that come with such naiveté and nationalist attachment. And while this film will, by all indications, take place mostly if not entirely in the WWII period, an Avengers movie can reduce or outright eliminate any camp factor with a more realistic, nuanced portrayal of a man experiencing the culture shock of seventy years' worth of social progress. (I'd love to see a scene such as this in an Avengers film: Cap challenges Fury about the ethics of some action saying it goes against his principles, or else questions whether the present [which would seem very loose and immoral from his perspective] is worth defending; Fury responds by telling him, in brief, about "Truth" and all the black men who were involuntarily experimented upon so that he could be created; the look on Steve Rogers' face as he is forced to confront the ugly side to his own idealistic existence).

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

3. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I figure that the first movie as a shoot-nazis-up will do well. Something like Ultimates Vol 1 #1 is what I would have in mind. Lots of action and adventure without being campy.

4. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm glad Marvel was smart to move Thor from the same weekend as Nolan's Inception. Now he has the weekend all to himself. :D

5. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

I think that's a totally wrongheaded way to approach the character.

Firstly, Truth (which, technically, did not lead to his creation; it was an attempt to duplicate the process he had already underwent), while it led to Patriot, who's a cool character, was a bad addition to the Cap mythos, and it's not one you'll likely see brought into a film universe.

More significantly, Steve Rogers is not naive. That kind of approach to the character completely ignores his background; he grew up in a single-parent household in the Bronx in the 1930s. He knows the reality of World War II American society, from the grinding poverty to the many disadvantaged groups (the guy's a bleeding-heart New Dealer, in his standard portrayal); he's idealistic in spite of all that, not because he's oblivious to it. He wants the future where a black man can be elected president.

6. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40410

^ Interesting article about Marvel's slate. If it's to be believed, Skaarsgard is in the running for Thor and his Dad might be Odin! Cool! And John Hartnett is up for Loki because Branagh liked his performance as Hugo/ Iago in 'O', the high school take on Othello. Makes sense, when you think about it.

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Moving Captain America to one week after Deathly Hallows II is a big mistake. They should bump it up to Friday, July 1--the Fourth of July weekend.

8. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Having announced these new target release dates just a few days ago, Marvel Studios has already, once again, changed the target release date for Thor. They now plan to release it on May 20, 2011 instead of June 17, 2011. So unless the date is changed again, that means it'll be released two weeks after Spider-Man 4.

9. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I guess Marvel wants Thor to fail?

10. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Two weeks is plenty of time in this hyper-swift film market.

11. Buck Rogers

Buck Rogers Captain Captain

It was reported in advanced iron.org website that Fav's will be directing Avengers after IM3 is post-production,and ready for release.

Buck Rogers

12. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

That's great to hear. The last thing I want is a hack director taking over the third Iron Man while Jon Favreau is distracted with something else. :lol:

13. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

There's speculation and rumors that he'll direct The Avengers, but nothing has been officially announced yet (although I think the speculation is very likely to turn out to be correct). But if he does direct it, it would be after Iron Man 2, not Iron Man 3.

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

If they are serious about making The Avengers they have to delay Iron Man 3 then. They can't have Favreau making two films at the same time.

15. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How the heck can Captain America NOT BE a July 4th release?

It just friggin sells itself lol.

Or Memorial Day can work from that aspect as well. I like the July 4th setting a bit more.

DVD release for Veteran's day

16. TheMasterOfOrion

TheMasterOfOrion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

17. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

It's Branaugh, so even if the movie isn't a massive success it'll at least be worth going to for the sheer larger-than-life element he'd bring to it. Wonder if he'll cast himself in any of the roles.

18. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

All that says is that JMS's run is over. I didn't see anything about the series being over.

19. Welshie

Welshie Lieutenant Red Shirt

It's possible. However, he's already managed to find the perfect Odin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaDibW_BTvg

20. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I was hoping he'd cast himself as Loki, but I suppose maybe he is too old now. Damn shame, since he was great as Iago.