Ridley Scott directing Forever War

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ridley Scott directing Forever War.

Hope he does Forever Peace as the sequel, even though the stories are not strongly connected...

Either novel would lend itself to a TV series pretty easily.

2. Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri Commodore Commodore

Ruaidhri...Toronto in body, Philly in spirit!
    This is really great news! The Forever War is my favorite novel, and I think Scott has the pedigree to make a decent adaptation and a strong film that focuses on the right things.

Forever Peace might make a good bookend, but the stories aren't connected at all. A thematic sequel, though not a story sequel.

3. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

So he's doing this and Brave New World ?

4. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Fingers crossed.

5. Caleuche

Caleuche Commander Red Shirt

In the hands of a lesser director, this would be worrying news -theres too much that could be done badly (or offensively). This one could be more interesting to see the level of studio interference and story rewriting that occurs than the actual finished result. If it wasn't someone like Ridley Scott, I imagine the themes would go out the window for war scenes.

6. Quantum

Quantum Captain Captain

Do you guys think it will be like starship troopers?

7. JuanBolio

JuanBolio Admiral Admiral

Bolio is pleased. Great book + great director often means a great movie. I can't wait to see what he does with this.

If it is, I'm holding you personally responsible. :klingon:

8. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Ridley Scott != Paul Verhoeven.

9. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sounds interesting.
    I'll have pick up the novel, it sounds like a good read.

10. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

I wonder if the director realizes just how much homosexuality there is in this book? I'll be there opening day. ;)

11. Titus Andronicus

Titus Andronicus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is some of the best news I've heard all day! If Scott can do the book any justice in this movie, then I'll be a happy man.

12. Quantum

Quantum Captain Captain

I read an article a while back I remember Clancy Brown wanted to be in the inevitable Forever War Movie.....

I hope to more focus more on the war and combat as opposed to the drama side of comeback to earth several hundred years after you left...

13. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is awesome. I'm glad to see serious Sci-fi making a comeback. I really need to reread the book. I've forgotten a lot.

Focusing on the war instead of the effects of war on the protagonist would be completely against the point in my opinion. (This is a weird expression when typed.)

14. MyCylon

MyCylon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm wondering about this. It would be terrific if this is in fact the case. I've always thought it was a shame he stayed away from the genre for so long even though he'd influenced it so much. I'm really looking forward to these films.

15. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Huh. So I guess this is the film he was talking about back when he said he was working on a sci-fi project. Interesting; another book I'll have to read sometime soon.

16. Goliath

Goliath Vice Admiral Admiral

Awesome. Ridley Scott directing The Forever War. David Fincher directing Rendezvous With Rama. The Coen Brothers making The Yiddish Policemen's Union.

If all the cards fall right, the next few years are going to be great ones for cinematic SF. I can't wait.

17. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Given his track record, I wonder if we'll get mostly the CGI warfare or the actual story... as much as we love him, he did make that cheese-fest Gladiator :p lol... no way know which way this one'll go.
    [​IMG]

18. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh right, everyone was required to be gay. :rommie: That would play like a right-wing lunatic paranoid fantasy about the slippery slope of gay marriage.

19. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Awesome, awesome news!!

20. Captain Intrepid

Captain Intrepid Vice Admiral Admiral

So basically remove everything about the story that makes it... well, an actual story? The whole point of the book is the shock of coming back to a changed society.