Do you love or hate the Ferengi episodes, overall?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Navaros, Aug 17, 2008.

?

Do you love or hate the Ferengi episodes, overall?

1. I love the Ferengi episodes, overall.

65 vote(s)
    69.1%
  2. I hate the Ferengi episodes, overall.

29 vote(s)
    30.9%
  1. Navaros

Navaros Commodore Commodore

I see a lot of hate for DS9's Ferengi episodes. I too hate Profit and Lace. I don't really like Moogie as she can be extremely annoying. However, I love Quark, Rom, and Nog. So overall, I have to say that Ferengi episodes of DS9 are awesome because they showcase the magnificent characters/acting of Quark, Rom, and Nog.

A lot of fans seem to dismiss DS9's Ferengi episodes as "filler", but I think that's incorrect. They are not filler. Rather, they are doing a great job of fleshing-out Quark, Rom and Nog as deep & compelling characters.

I'm putting a Poll up so I can get a sense of what percentage of DS9 fans love and hate the Ferengi episodes, overall. Just vote for your overall feeling about the Ferengi episodes; Ie: it doesn't mean you have to love every Ferengi episode if you vote for that you love them, and vice versa.

2. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

I think they're some of the best of the DS9 eps, especially during the early seasons. My favorite Ferengi episode is probably Little Green Men, not only was there mostly Quark (best DS9 character), but there was hardly any Sisko (worst DS9 character).

3. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it depends on the episode--"The Magnificent Ferengi" was excellent, as was "Little Green Men."

That image of Keevan's body Frankenstein-walking into the wall...PRICELESS.

I also liked "Business as Usual" in that it showed Quark finally running up against an ethical line he wouldn't cross.

4. Katrine

Katrine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Overall, I'm not crazy about the Ferengi, but I tolerate Quark & Nog. I did not like them AT ALL in TNG, tho.

5. Lateralus

Lateralus Commander Red Shirt

There are no bad Ferengi episodes. They should have gotten their own sitcom on NBC when DS9 ended.

6. Apogeal Alpha01

Apogeal Alpha01 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Like many here, I really enjoy a number of the Ferengi episodes, and some, like The Magnificent Ferengi are excellent. But others are so horrible they drag the rest towards the wrong end of the curve; I must vote in the negative.

7. AdmiralGarak

AdmiralGarak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Remeber, only Ferengi episodes give us Brunt, FCA!

That alone should be enough to push most sane folks answer into "love them!" territory.

8. ZMistress

ZMistress Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Personally, while I really like Nog and Rom, I prefer episodes that feature the Ferengi in the B plot, but hate episodes that focus on Ferengi only.

I also hated "The Magnificent Ferengi". I thought Keevan was a character with so much potential and couldn't believe they killed him off for a few laughs. Oh well, each to their own, I guess.

9. ninetofive

ninetofive Lieutenant Red Shirt

I experience a near allergic reaction upon hearing Zek's voice. I do however like Little Green Men, Family Business, and Body Parts. Business As Usual is also watchable. But anything with Zek is revolting farce.

10. Apogeal Alpha01

Apogeal Alpha01 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, Zekky should have died in season 2. The Ferengi are survivors.

11. Captain Leslie

Captain Leslie Lieutenant Red Shirt

What! I cant resist Wallace Shawn's Ferengi laugh. The Ferengi are the perfect counterpoint to the pomposity and self righteousness of the worst federation stories. I love 'em

12. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

My favorite Ferengi moment is when Quark finds Zek in his closet.

13. Python Trek

Python Trek Commodore Commodore

West Consin, People's Republic of America
    Actually, there's only one Ferengi ep. that I don't like: Profit and Lace. It was bad. Threshold bad. Nemesis bad. Very bad, in other words.

But y'know, it's sort of strange to me that people forget sometimes that Trek is often at its best when it's doing comedy. How about TOS's tribbles, McCoy's sarcasm, A Piece of the Action, nearly any line spoken by Chekov, etc.? TNG's A Fistful of Datas, lots of Geordi/Data schtick, Guinan stuff? DS9's Bashir/Garak lunches, O'Brien's exasperation at just about everything, Dax's one-liners? VOY's EMH, Tom and Harry bantering?......Trek is pretty damn funny, sometimes! :)

14. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

I voted that I love them overall.

But in reality, that is not really correct.

The Ferengi episodes are sorta much more extreme when the rest of DS9 because they were all intended to be funny. And so when they were good, they were generally very, very good...and when they were bad they were horrible.

Very few fell in between.

The House of Quark, Little Green Men, Body Parts, and The Magnificent Ferengi were all awesome. The comedy worked and so the episodes were great.

Profit and Lace?

Not so much.

15. LutherSloan

LutherSloan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm more indifferent. I prefer the episodes involving Garak or the main part of the crew.

16. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

love them. except Ferengi Love Songs and Profit and Lace.

17. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

They're just kind of there. They don't bother me, but I'm never enthused to watch one.

18. ninetofive

I absolutely agree. A large part of the appeal for me is the humour. Some people, like myself, just don't find the Zek brand of humour funny. I like comedy films in general, but I hate the recent spate of stupid, low-brow comedies starring any member of "The Twat Pack", namely Will Ferrel, Adam Sandler, Rob Schneider, Eddie Murphie (Nutty Professor style stuff), Steve Carell and the original: Jim Carey. (Although Judd Apatow is partially responsible for the quality of many of their movies.)

19. ninetofive

It's actually closer than I thought, now that I've done a fully inventory.

Bad Ferengi Episodes:
    1. The Nagus
    2. Rules of Acquisition
    3. Prophet Motive
    4. Ferengi Love Songs
    5. Magnificent Ferengi
    6. Profit and Lace
    7. Emperor's New Cloak

Good Ferengi Episodes:
    1. Family Business
    2. Bar Association
    3. Little Green Men
    4. Body Parts
    5. Business As Usual.

Someone mentioned House of Quark, but I don't consider it or Par'mach to be 'Ferengi' episodes. But I like them both, so if I were to include them, it would actually be 7 vs. 7.

20. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

:guffaw::rommie::guffaw:

OH MAN, I just about fell out of my chair at that one!!!

Permission to use this in other venues, PLEASE!!!

Being a fan of the original Rat Pack, not only was the pun great but the contrast itself was just...WOW.

I am SO glad I'm not the only one who despises those guys.

Though I make an exception for Steve Carell...I can deal with him, but not any of the others.