Classic Who

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by BruntFCA, Oct 22, 2012.

1. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

So I've just started watching NuWho on Netflix and I'm really liking it so far. This is the first Who that I have ever seen and I would like to go back and watch some of the older stuff but I don't really know what is good and whats not so I'm looking for some recommendations. Thanks.

2. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

When you say Netflix, which version do you mean? If you have streaming-only, there is a very limited supply of classic titles available, less than 20 of the 130+ released stories are available via streaming.

Of those, The Aztecs is a good introduction to the First Doctor. The Three Doctors is a reunion story, with the first three Doctors working together to solve a problem. It will give you a sampling of their personalities.

The Fourth Doctor is the most-represented on streaming. Try City of Death. It's a classic, and a fun romp. His entire "Key to Time" season is also available, and it introduces fan-favorite companion Romana.

The Fifth Doctor's final story Caves of Androzani is frequently voted the most favorite story by classic Who fans. It also (briefly) introduces the Sixth Doctor. That is actually the only Sixth appearance via streaming.

I don't remember which story the Seventh Doctor has on streaming, just that it's not one of the better ones.

There will be other answers should you have the dvd option.

3. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Also, the Classic Doctor Who stories are 1/2 hour episode segments (25 Minutes without commercials), rather than hour eppisode segments (40-50 Minutes without commercials), and a single story can be 4 or 6 or more of these half hour episodes, so, the story doesn't move at lightning pace as many of the 2005 onwards ones do. So, if you find a story moves too slowly for you, don't give up, just let us know you can't handle the slower pace of the story, and someone will be able to recommend faster paced stories for you. I personally love them all, but, I know some folks can be frustrated with the older/longer stories.

4. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

Thanks for the recommendations. I only have streaming but my local library has a lot of Who DVDs so I can see them that way aswell.

5. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Isn't "Remembrance of the Daleks" available? I'd say that's the absolute best of McCoy's stories!

As to the pacing issue, I agree classic Who can take some adjusting to get used to. Actually, I'd say the fastest paced story they ever did was "The Five Doctors," largely because the entire story is spent crosscutting between 4-6 different character groups, so there's not as much time to belabor the point the way they usually do.

6. Sindatur

Heh, and I neglected to mention, I watch that las night :D

7. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Nope. Home now so I can access Netflix ... It's Curse of Fenric.

8. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For me Curse Of Fenric is the best McCoy story.

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Ditto.

10. The Borgified Corpse

Yeah, I've never really understood all the love for "The Curse of Fenric." "Remembrance of the Daleks" was the 1st McCoy story I ever saw and it made me an instant 7th Doctor fan. (He was an early favorite of mine for a while until I started watching more Troughton. And then, of course, Matt Smith showed up.:adore:) I heard everyone talk about how great "The Curse of Fenric" was but it was years before I finally found a cheap used copy to be able to see it. When I did, I could say I was fairly underwhelmed and some of the stuff with Ace just weirded me out more than anything. Like, when she's trying to distract the soldier by flirting with him, it's more haunting than sexy I think.

I still have a few more McCoy stories left to go but, so far, I'd say he only ever really made 2 great stories: "Remembrance of the Daleks" & "Battlefield." Although "Silver Nemesis" & "Survival" are both decent. And I at least respect the intentions behind some of the more oddly experimental stuff like "Paradise Towers," "The Happiness Patrol," and even some of the more iconic moments from "Ghost Light." (To the extent that "Ghost Light" fails, it's because it's just kinda hard to keep track of the story as it's happening.)

11. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

A lot of the McCoy love comes from nostalgia, I think. For the fans who are 30+ years old, he was the Doctor when they were kids, and we know how that creates a bond that is not easily broken. :) Those fans usually see the Doctor as a schemer, a mysterious master manipulator, but although that was indeed Cartmel's intention, when you actually watch the episodes, that's never convincingly portrayed except for a couple of lines here and there.

The seduction scene in "Fenric" is a bit weird, but to be fair, it's one of the rare occasions in the series where Sophie Aldred actually acts, so it is one of her finest moments by default.

12. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fenric's a good 'un. One of the four solid McCoy stories that most people will like (as opposed to the four 'A lot of people aren't keen, but it's got it's good points', and the four that you wouldn't show to your worst enemy, even as a way of torturing him. Time and the Rani & Silver Nemesis, you know what I mean.)

13. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

I've been doing a who rewatch this year, just into davison right now. So from first to the beginning of the fifth doc, these are the stories I'd say are worth watching(I've left in regenerations whether they're crap or not, but I haven't left in crap companion joining/leaving eps, let me know if you want those in as well).

Bear in mind classic who is somewhat to a lot slower paced then modern who, you may well not get into it. Also, the first regeneration is missing, as the last hartnell(first doctor) ep and the first 10 or so troughtons(second doctor) are missing

Unearthly Child
    The Daleks
    The Aztecs
    Planet of Giants
    The Rescue
    The Romans
    The Time Meddler
    The War Machines
    Tomb of the Cybermen
    The Mind Robber
    The Invasion
    The Seeds of Death
    The War Games
    Spearhead from Space
    Doctor Who and the Silurians
    Ambassadors of Death
    Inferno
    Terror of the Autons
    Day of the Daleks (watch the special edition!)
    The Sea Devils
    The Mutants
    The Time Monster
    The Three Doctors
    Carnival of Monsters
    The Green Death
    The Time Warrior
    Planet of the Spiders
    Robot
    Genesis of the Daleks
    Pyramids of Mars
    The Brain of Morbius
    The Seeds of Doom
    The Masque of Mandragora
    The Hand of Fear
    The Deadly Assassin
    The Face of Evil
    The Robots of Death
    The Talons of Weng-Chiang
    Horror of Fang Rock
    The Ribos Operation
    The Stones of Blood
    The Androids of Tara
    The Armageddon Factor
    City of Death
    Full Circle
    State of Decay
    Warriors’ Gate
    The Keeper of Traken
    Logopolis
    Castrovalva
    Kinda(Turn on the new CGI effects!)

Bolded episodes I think are really good.

I'd echo the andronzai, rememberance & fenric compliments, though I haven't got that far on my rewatch yet.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  14. The Borgified Corpse

That's a decent list, although, you seem to be one of the few here with anything nice to say about "The Mutants." I'm also not crazy about "The Face of Evil."

In the meantime, there are a few pretty good ones that I think you skipped over:

"The Dalek Invasion of Earth." In many ways, the definitive Dalek story.

"The Ark in Space." A perfect, archetypal Tom Baker space station adventure. "Planet of Evil" is also a very solid entry in this category.

"The Pirate Planet" is the only complete story officially credited to the late, great Douglas Adams, and is worthwhile for that alone. I love the Pirate Captain and I wish they'd brought him back for more episodes.

And if you want a sampling of just how weird things could get during the William Hartnell years, I recommend "The Chase," which features badly acted historical reenactments, badly dressed fish people, the Mary Celeste, the Empire State Building, a haunted house, a robot duplicate of the Doctor that looks nothing like him, and (if you get the unedited version) a special appearance by the Beatles! And then there's "The Web Planet" if you're into giant bugs, tie burnings, and Barbara & Vicki's debate over the relative merits of asprin.

I was also going to recommend "Revenge of the Cybermen." But really, the appeal for that one all boils down to a single YouTube clip:
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGdxMJ1H_Mo[/yt]
    Watch that and you're probably done.

In which case, I assume you'll be avoiding "Mawdryn Undead," "Terminus," & "Planet of Fire" like the Terullian Plague.;)

15. Sindatur

I've always liked The Mutants also, I realize it makes me a Leper out on an island, but, I like it, and don't understand the abuse

16. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Bad acting, but it had a great plot which the acting didn't manage to quash.

Oops. I put that in before I decided to jettison crap episodes where important things happen(I notice I forgot to delete "The Hand of Fear" as well for the same reason, but that ones slightly more debatable)

Nah, I hate that serial. Long & boring. "The Daleks" was far better for the era.

Oops, thought I had that on the list.

Only thing that really stood out for me about PoE was how good the set design was.

Yeah, it was imaginative(loved the inertia corridor), but I don't think it ended up working that brilliantly as a complete story.

I think the chase was (unintentionally) hilarious, but suggesting someone watches the web planet must surely be akin to torture.

Heh.

17. The Squire of Gothos

The Squire of Gothos Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He was way before my time, but I've always had a soft spot for Troughton's Second Doctor.

A lot of his episodes were lost by the BBC, but those that remain completely are happily pretty good; The Invasion, The Mind Robber, The Tomb of the Cybermen and The War Games are all good fun.

18. The Borgified Corpse

You must watch "The Hand of Fear." It is the law! Eldrad must live! ELDRAD MUST LIVE!!!!!