Round Robin

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Phil, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Phil

Phil Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

In the last Writing Challenge, I made the suggestion that people might want to try for a 'Round Robin', in that, all those taking part would write their own part of the story....a couple of lines....a paragraph....a page....whatever they chose, based only on what the others had written

In other words, there was no plot outline to go by....everyone free to use their own imagination, and again, basing their part purely on what had already been written by the others taking part (well, aside from the first person, obviously)

All are welcome to participate, and if you choose to do so, you can include the result in the Writing Challenge, as long as the people taking part are identified (and if possible, what parts each wrote)

Any takers??

2. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

It does sound like an interesting idea, definitely something different to try.

3. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

I am in! :)

4. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I've done these before; they can be hilarious!

5. admiralelm11

admiralelm11 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wouldn't mind, giving it a try.

6. Phil

Okay....that's four so far, plus myself....any others?

7. Phil

Okay....let's get this party started then :-)

As there doesn't appear to be anyone else interested at this stage, the order will be as follows....

Myself, Bry_Sinclair, HIjol, Timewalker, and Admiralelm11

If there are any more, they can be added as well :-)

We can start with part of a story I wrote a little over 20 years ago, which should suit our purposes here :-)

This is set during Second Season TNG

TO KILL A KLINGON

“Captain” announced Lt. Worf as he looked up from his console “I’m picking up a signal.”

“Friend or foe Mr. Worf?” Captain Picard inquired.

“Unknown at this time Sir.”

“Very well Lt.. Monitor it and keep us informed.”

“Aye Sir” Worf replied “recommend we go to Yellow Alert until we’re sure.”

“Make it so” ordered Picard.

Lt. Worf proceeded to monitor the signal and to find its source. Worf was feeling a bit tense because he seemed to recognize this style of signal, but he was also able to conceal such feelings from Counselor Troi, as he didn’t want to alarm the crew until he was sure.

What made Worf so tense was something he was told about as a child. Androids that were built on Qo'noS, the Klingon homeworld, that were given the outward appearance of a normal Klingon, but would be programmed to seek out and destroy Klingon renegades. They were also designed to broadcast a variety of signals, often at the same time to confuse their enemy, and it is a signal similar to this that Worf is currently monitoring.

Worf then walked to the Science 1 station behind him.

“Computer” Worf commanded “request information on Klingon history regarding ‘jan HoH’.”

“Something wrong Lt.?” Inquired Commander Riker.

“Unknown at this time Sir.”

“Would you care to explain that?” inquired Captain Picard as he and Commander Riker joined Worf at the computer panel.

“Working Sir.” Worf replied.

“Captain. Sensors have picked up a ship at bearing 034, mark 36” announced Lt. Commander Data.

“Can we get a visual?”

“Not yet Sir the ship is too far away.”

“Very well Mr. Data. Inform me when she comes into visual range.”

“Aye Sir.” Data replied.

“Mr. Worf can you explain any of this?” inquired Picard as he Riker and Worf turned back to the console. “And does that ship have anything to do with that signal you picked up?”

“I believe so Sir. Yes here it is. Many years ago, just after the war ended between Klingons and the Federation, the Klingon High Council built what we called a jan HoH or Killing Device. We built them to infiltrate the Klingon Empire and seek out and destroy Klingon renegades; no matter what their rank. And I believe that’s what may currently be on its’ way here” added Worf as the three of them turned back to look at the screen.

“I don’t get it. Why would a Klingon Terminator be seeking us out?” inquired Ensign Crusher.

“I would theorize Wesley” replied Data “that it may think that Lt. Worf is a renegade.”

Next :-)

8. Fashion Victim

Fashion Victim Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

This seems fun! It you all don't mind a noob joining, I'll take my place in line. :)

9. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

Troi was in her quarters, absently combing her hair...looking in her mirror but not really seeing...she felt...something...something vaguely disturbing...she could not put her finger on it, but she did not feel it important enough to repo... "...ow!...," ...she had caught her brush in a snag, and the pain snapped her out of her distraction...

...she tsked herself at her inattention...she was on-duty in 10 minutes, and she needed to be focused and ready for the crew and the Captain...humming absently, a child's song her mother used to sing to her, she finished preparing and exited her quarters...

...Worf felt it again...qaStaH nuq?...he looked about the Bridge, but all were occupied at their stations, full of purpose and focus and duty... "...this is how I should be!," he scolded himself. he knew a Warrior felt no fear and had no doubts, but...

..."Captain, the ship is within visual range. Shall I put it on-screen?," asked Data.

..."indeed, Mr. Data...let us see who we have here."

10. Phil

Sure....the more the merrier :-)

11. Fashion Victim

Fashion Victim Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

The crew of the Enterprise held their collective breath in the second it took for the ship to appear on the view-screen and then, Commander Riker could not help but smirk.

"This 'bird of prey' is decades out of date! It might have given an old constitution class a run for it's money, but I doubt it's a match for the Enterprise."

Worf felt his heart begin to pound, in anger he could barely contain his irritation towards Commander Riker. He understood of course why his superior officer would make such an assessment, the vessel which for now floated serenely at the center of screen was indeed considered obsolete for purposes of combat. He could however not shake his unease, the jan HoH were not to be taken lightly.

"Commander!" He said, perhaps a bit louder then he would have wanted.

"If this is a jan HoH ship, and the fact that this is such an old vessel seems to confirm my suspicions, that we must not underestimate them, I recommend we raise shields and prepare for combat. They are said to be relentless, they fight with the fury of a Klingon warrior and the unwavering focus of....a machine." Worf said, those last words as if the fact they were machines made them the greatest abomination known in the galaxy. From the aft station Data twitched his head ever so slightly in a manner he often does, and continued his scans.

"I would tend to agree with you, Mr. Worf it's always wise to side with caution. However we're still compelled to investigate if we're really dealing with old Klingon terminators, if they're still active then we must inform the high-council, and besides it is indeed intriguing to run into such a significant piece of history."

"Captian I am not reading any humanoid life signs, the vessel also has no life support of which to speak of, conditions inside are comparable to a vacuum," said Data.

"Captain they are powering their weapons array!" yelled Worf.

"Raise shields."

A crimson flash could be seen emanating from the antiquated 'bird' moments later the Enterprise shook ever so slightly.

"Shields holding, no damage," said Worf, he sighed in frustration as if he were disappointed with the results. After all he knew such a lack luster first attack would only help to increase his fellow officers' complacent attitude towards the vessel.

Worf was stirred out of his, musings when the door to the left swished opened Counsler Troi walked in, his eyes met hers for only a moment, the look of concern in her face, made him feel shame, he promptly looked away.

"Evasive Maneuvers Mr. Worf."

"Aye sir!"

"Obsolete ship or not there's no sense in providing stationary target, we need to put some distance between us until we can get more answers." Picard said, as he straightened his uniform.

"Mr. Crusher get us away from the immediate area warp 7 engage!"

"Yes sir!"

Before Weasley was able to comply with the captain's command, a blue beam originating from the ship, engulfed the entire view screen.

"I-I can't sir, engines seem to be unresponsive."

"This is Picard to engineering, status?"

Geordi's frazzled voice came through amongst a storm of static. "There-scratch-seems to be some kind of-scratch-graviton particle field thats-scraaatch-that's preventing a proper warp bubble from forming sir."

12. Dulak

Dulak Commander Red Shirt

Oh, please count me in...I can't miss a round robbin!