Anyone else hate the "New" Deep Space 9 design?

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by HoserTrek37, Jul 29, 2013.

1. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

But that's my point. What difference does it make in a book? Just imagine it looks like it always did.

2. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I rather like that one actually. Nice use of the spacedock and drydock elements. However, I changed the image to a link because you should only link to images on your own host.

3. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Why destroy the station in the first place? Besides didn't they tow Empok Nor into the Bajor System (it was a DS9/SCE crossover)? Couldn't they have just activated it and had it become Deep Space 9-A?

4. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

For the same reasons the original Enterprise and the Enterprise-D were destroyed--to do something shocking that forever changes the status quo.
    I think in-universe, Starfleet may have decided to build a new state-of-the-art starbase that met Federation specifications and requirements rather than try to repurpose another abandoned Cardassian ore facility.

5. Storyteller

Storyteller Ensign Red Shirt

Somehow, the new design doesn't bug me much. That window probably isn't glass; does anybody remember that scene in "First Contact" where Picard demonstrates a force field window to Lily? On a slightly (un)related note, I wonder if this picture rings a bell with anybody?

[​IMG]

6. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Was that one of the conceptual space station desgns from "Beyond the Farthest Star"?

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

IIRC, Empok Nor wasn't repairable as a whole, it was just useful for spare parts.

What I want to know about the pylons on the new DS9 is, what exactly are they for? When the pylons on the old station didn't connect at the top, it's obvious what they were for - starship docking. Do the pylons on the new station stand for anything except decoration? They don't connect to anything, do they?

8. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Those Nor class space stations were old and decrepit rust buckets

I'm not surprised they would opt for a modern replacement

9. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They ripped out the old fusion cores for DS9, since those were ejected when they overloaded thanks to sabotage early in the Relaunch. Cardassia couldn't supply new cores since their entire industrial infrastructure was messed up after the war.

As for a new station being build, if you read the books, it was made clear it was as much a symbol as a necesity. To show the Typhon Pact that the Federation won't be bullied down, and that they will rebuild. I think you could almost compare it to what the new Tower being build in New York. To rebuild exactly what was, can open up old wounds for some. But to build something new, something out of the ashes so to speak, is a powerfull symbol for some.

10. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

And they still should have build two towers, not only one.

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

There are docking ports along the length of the pylons.

12. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

From the images it looks like there are only ports near the base, two on each side. There might be some on the outside edge, but you can't really see any in the images that are floating around.

The cover of "A Ceremony of Losses" shows these ports side ports. I wonder what that thing at the base of the pylon is, maybe a weapons emplacement?

Apparently those rings above and below the central core are magnetically suspended defence rings.

13. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like it, I have no problem with the new designs. New E, love it. New DS9, A+.

14. Lego Thrawn

Lego Thrawn Lieutenant Red Shirt

I don't hate it. I'm not a huge fan of it, but they certainly could have done worse. They also could have done better.