1994 Voyager article, original crew and Capt. "Bara Kennedy" mentioned

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Candlelight, May 30, 2011.

1. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

I've had this magazine for years (Australian ST Fan Club, issue 2), although it got chucked out at the weekend after I had to make space for mum and dad moving house. Managed to take a scan of this article before it went. I don't know whether this is full of typos or this is part of the original plan that got modified as the show went on. There are also numerous spelling mistakes (Robert Deltran, Robert Ricardo).

[​IMG]

There was also a large interview section with Piller/Moore, and talks about the handover from TNG to VOY, the creation of the Defiant (which at the time was just an enlarged Runabout) and a mention of the infamous Bara Kennedy, although it does contradict what was mentioned above in the same magazine!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope Mods don't mind me posting this. I know I'm not supposed to post entire articles but they're from scans of a 17 year old magazine!

2. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: 1994 Voyager article, original crew and Capt. "Bara Kennedy" menti

I feel sorry for Ethan Phillips. I wonder how his agent told him that he'd be sending him to read for a role as a "short, ugly jack of all trades junk dealer." And "Neelik" is just an awful name. Interesting that he was originally supposed to be from another galaxy.

What's the deal with the captain being named Bara Kennedy in the Ron Moore section.

My favorite typo is "Robert Ricardo," which makes me think of Ricky Ricardo's younger brother. I guess this was what you got in the days before IMDB!

3. Candlelight

Bara Kennedy was apparently an original name for Kathryn Janeway (like 'Nicole' Janeway before her). This is one of the only publications I've seen it mentioned however.

4. Candlelight

A couple of things I do like about this is what they ditched. Having the Doctor live in the ship's "only holodeck" might've been a bit different, forcing him to shutdown whenever someone wants to use it. Maybe he could've moved into sickbay after B'Elanna develops the holo-projectors.

I also think it would've been cool if the replicator system had gone offline. Neelix as the chef rather than 'morale officer' (aka we don't really know what to do with him) would've been interesting, although he may end up similar to Quark (stuck behind a bar for 7 years).