Things you liked about voyager

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by KaraBear, Aug 19, 2013.

1. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

i'm not taking anything personally, it's just a tv show. But when someone says something I disagree with I will say so

2. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

I didn't deride them, I like them a lot, I just pointed out that I thought the voyager characters were more interesting. I didn't say anything negative about the characters

3. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

Harry had a good premise, just like the other characters on the show. The problem was that the writers made him the "whipping boy" of the series, the guy who mostly is beaten up and/or the young, unexperienced kid who everybody feels sorry for. He's actually better in some of the books where he's doing something useful and where his computer skills are developed and used. Unfortunately, he has the bad luck of ending up in sickbay in many of them too, badly wounded and in some cases close to death.

But don't forget what the man, or more correctly, The Clown, said:

The spoil goes to the winner and you are the spoil, Harry! ;)

By the way, am I one of the few who actually like "Favorite Son"? Harry ending up in a future version of Dracula's castle and manage to get out of there. Definitely better than the rather boring "Emanations".

4. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Harry must have gotten stuck with all the leftover "O'Brien Must Suffer" ideas from DS9. Garrett rarely had the chance to shine as Colm Meaney did.

5. teya

teya Vice Admiral Admiral

I've seen no evidence (not even in "Timeless") that Garrett Wang is anywhere near Colm Meaney's caliber.

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I guess I've never been a breast woman (this has just occurred to me). Though I'll admit I could not stop staring at Christina Hendricks during my recent Mad Men run through, which is probably the effect 7 had on some.

7. teya

teya Vice Admiral Admiral

But, really... Jeri is flat-chested next to Christina Hendricks...

8. Melakon

I had to do a Google image search for Hendricks, as I've not seen her anything. Looks like she has a couple of Goodyear blimps in there.

9. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

The only thing I disagreed with in Karabear's characterization of DS9 was that Voyager characters were more relatable because they had more flaws. DS9 characters were just as flawed as Voyager characters, just the DS9 writers knew how to write those flaws without making the entire episode just ABOUT those flaws.

It's true Wang is no Meaney, but he's way better than Beltran and a couple of the other Voyager actors. But he's considered one of the 'Boring ones' because of the scripts he got. The Voyager writers just had no idea how to write a character without just writing about their central gimmick.

10. teacake

MELAKON HAVE YOU NOT SEEN FIREFLY????????

I am very good at nagging people to watch Firefly..

Hendricks is even more stunning in Mad Men when you realize she is a very unique looking person. But I think she shares some qualities with Jeri Ryan, the big eyes, the composure.. lovely. Striking.

When I saw Jeri Ryan at a con things were.. less visible.

11. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Don't worry Melakon, I never got around to watching Firefly either.

12. teacake

Who's up for a 'thon?

I tried that some months ago but a lot of first time viewers in the thread hated it so it kind of lost some fun.

13. Melakon

I never saw the series itself. I did have the Serenity film for a while, but I couldn't figure out what the hell was going on and didn't like it. So I gave it away. The only characters I sort of liked were the guy played by Adam Baldwin (whom I'd first noticed in 1980 with the film My Bodyguard), Alan Tudyk's character, and the bad guy played by Chiwetel Ejiofor. Baldwin was the only actor I was familiar with.

Dang, I've been on the site today for over 13 continuous hours.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  14. teacake

Well the movie is the finale/wrap up of the series.

All the characters are fabulous :D

15. Melakon

But that's the problem with the film. There's not enough background information about the universe for someone who's not already a fan. To the uninitiated, it's a completely incomprehensible mess.

It was like being someone who has never seen Star Trek, wondering what all the hoopla's about. I've not seen the revamped Battlestar Galactica either. Or Farscape.

16. teacake

Okay so watch the series. It's only 13 episodes.

17. Melakon

I'll check the used video store next month, they might have the set. I only have about $5 in the bank at the moment. I'm still trying to understand Inception, which I only got about 2 weeks ago.

18. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I guess I misremember Yesterday's Enterprise when Picard sacrificed the Enterprise to restore the timeline, and All Good things where Picard sacrificed 3 Enterprises, then.:rolleyes:

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Anywhooo.....

The things I liked about Voyager:

1. I liked most of the crew

Janeway being the first female captain with a show was very interesting. Also, I think she was probably in some ways like the missing link between Kirk and Picard, and displayed similarities with both, in command style. I just wish they had more personal growth with Janeway...it was like she was set from day one, and changed not all that much over the 7 years.

Chakotay on paper, as someone said, was interesting because not many Native American characters get screen time. The first several seasons I liked Chakotay, as the series progressed, writing for him suffered.

Tuvok was just pure AWESOME. Tim Russ was probably my third favorite Vulcan, after Spock and Sarek. I loved his dynamic with Neelix. His final goodbye to Neelix, where he moves his foot, where he maintains his logic and showing htat was as close as a Vulcan can come to dancing, but gives Neelix that acknowledgement that he really cared for him as a friend, was great.

Neelix, I found annoying at first, but he grew on me, like Rom from DS9. He is a great character, actually.

Be'lana, I loved the concept of a half human/half klingon who actually resented her Klingon side in the beginning, yet was a dynamic character and in the end, embraced it. I always though of her as sort of like K'ehleyr

Tom Paris wasn't overly interesting. Sort of a stereotypical smartass, but his best function of the show was that he is the type of "every man" guy if you met in real life, you would want to have a beer with because he is someone most people would actually identify with the most. On a ship full of Mary Sues, jargon, and McGuffin, Tom Paris is the guy to keep things grounded.

The Doctor is probably my second favorite doctor, after Bones! Picardo is an excellent actor, and always a treat.

I liked Kes, and it was a shame she couldn't have stayed on as a semi-regular, sort of like a "Caretaker in Training" guiding Voyager from time to time, and helping them avoid dangerous situations.

7 of 9 was a great character. I know the show gets accused of being the Seven and Doctor show in later seasons, but I liked the growth of character they showed in Seven. Just was a bit disappointed with her hooking up with Chakotay

2. When Voyager was good, it was AWESOME.

Sure there are a few stinkers, but more often than not Voyager was actually written well. When you encountered a great episode, it knocks it out of the ball park
    Some of my favs
    Scorpion
    Phage
    Lifesigns
    Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy
    Timeless
    Drone
    Dark Frontier
    Tuvix
    Cold Fire
    Mortal Coil (yeah I know not popular, but I LIKED it.)
    Dragon's teeth
    Year of Hell
    Barge of the Dead
    Endgame
    ...and I am sure I am forgetting a lot of others

3. The FX still hold up, particularly the space scenes. Sure Enterprise probably has the best FX, being the latest, but FX in early TNG episodes don't hold up, yet FX in early Voyager episodes still do.

4. Simply liked the design of Voyager. At the time, it still retained the traditional silhouette of dual nacelles and a semi-saucer section, but also still looked radically different and modern looking. Way better looking than a Defiant class! And the interiors were pretty slick, too. combined the utilitarianism of the TMP Enterprise refit, with the comfort of TNG Galaxy class.

5. While I wish Voyager was a little more serial, like DS9 or Season 3 Enterprise, I liked the premise of being stranded in the Delta Quadrant, and trying to get home.

6. Villains: Some say the Borg were over used, but I really liked the Borg as adversaries. I also liked the Vidiians, and thing they should have been featured more. the Kazon were sort of like the Delta Quadrant answer to Klingons, but I liked their back story.

19. teacake

I hated Inception. Fight Club Lite.

I'm sure you can rent Firefly at any dvd rental. It's just a suggestion, such a fun show in so many ways and gorgeous sets, people.. I'm like, "here, you need to just try this cake, no really it's delicious, you should try it, just a here a forkful.. "

20. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Firefly is worth the money.
    The show had only 14 episode's but they were very good.
    And in some ways very realistic, no sound in space, no aliens and no utopia like Star Trek.

And you will eat the whole cake and then you only want more of it but you can't :(