Hawaii 5-0 Season FIVE

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Top41, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Top41

Top41 Vice Admiral Moderator

It's almost here, people!! Who else is excited?

Just read a few general spoilers--doesn't give away too much--over at TV Line that got me totally excited for the new season.

Especially this one!
    Steve and Danno are going to therapy! And apparently it plays like couples therapy, lol. I can't wait!!

Who else is excited?

2. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

I am looking forward to this, as well. Hawaii 5-0 is a must watch show in our house - and even more-so since we visited Hawaii a couple of years back.

3. Top41

Yeah I can't wait! I still miss it being on Monday nights--I was home much more often on Mondays than Fridays, but it's a treat for sometime over the weekend if I'm not around to watch it live.

I've never been to Hawaii but the show has made me want to go. They definitely make the most of the scenery!

I'm curious about how the addition of Grover and Jerry will affect the team dynamic.

4. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Hard to believe it's 1972 already!

5. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It is the one must watch by both of us all week. They swing for the fences but when a episode connects they hit it out of the park

I think they can handle Grover and Jerry just fine. Jerry especially I don't expect to be more than Max is, a reoccurring character with star credits. While Captain Grover works better then shoe horning in a Navy CO or girlfriend. And so far there have seemed to be a lot of injuries, illness and travel distance for actors necessitating and mix up of teams. But I do think CBS should do another NCIS:LA crossover for the two SEALS who they have acknowledge a prior relationship.

6. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For me, the show has gone from "must-see" in the 1st season (with Wo Fat and gov Jean Smart) to lately "if I miss a bunch of episodes that's OK".

7. Star Wolf

I think Wo Fat has been overused. A second escape from a supermax prison in three years is a bit much

8. Top41

:lol: :lol: :lol: The time does fly!!

Wo Fat has been a little overused, and the guy's prison escapes have become absurd. But I think they need to answer the question of McGarrett's mother and his connection to her since they've been teasing that for what, two seasons now? Really all four if you count the Shellburne stuff.

I want more carguments, too. My favorite part of the show is definitely Steve and Danno's relationship. I loved the ep last season when they got stuck in the building collapse.

9. Star Wolf

I have to admit one of my favorite moments was with Aisha Tyler doing an Oprah and that angel of chaos Wo Fat turns up at a crime scene and a running shoot out starts

10. Top41

^That was pretty hilarious. That episode in general was just really funny and a departure for them.

Damn Wo Fat, he stole McGarrett's thunder on live TV! :lol:

11. Top41

Have you guys seen this sneak peek video from the season premiere? No spoilers for the plot of the episode itself: it's Steve and Danno in therapy! And it looks a lot like couple's counseling :lol: even though it's some sort of mandated review. It starts out with them bickering over how long they've been "together." :lol: It's also a kind of cool intro into the characters and how they all came together for anyone one new delving into the series. Definitely worth a watch!

Less than a week to the season premiere!!

12. Top41

Is anyone else watching the new season? I thought Friday's episode was really powerful: I didn't expect that ending! I figured they didn't get Dane Cook back to play Danny's brother since there was no promotion, but I didn't think he'd end up dead in a barrel! :eek: Poor Danny. :( I hope they play out the emotional arc because Danny is way too emotional to get over this in the course of an episode or two. I love that Steve went with him, though. And that Steve kept wanting to go to Columbia and kick ass. Such a Steve response.

I've been enjoying this season so far! And the marriage counseling scene did not disappoint. I love how Steve knew, to the day, how long he and Danno had been "together." :lol: :lol: :lol:

13. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

The first episode with Hurley and the cgi drone was too over the top. Haven't seen this weeks episode yet.

14. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Joe Carroll is going to do exactly that, or The Following is over. :)

15. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Perssonally felt it was unpleasant and uneeded storyline that we could of done without - especially the last part.

Danny isn't a brutal killer like that and I don't see the point in doing it to him.

Wasn't impressed with them going to criminial elements to try and get the remainder of the money.

This is the second time a team member has carried out such a killing with no consequence (I doubt we'll see any sort of emotional turmoil for Danny - the producers and writers aren't show such capabilities).

One more similar story line and I'm done with the show. If I want to watch crooked law enforcement I'll watch The Shield.

Almost dumped it last year with the bullshit with Kono and Adam. Yes I know Grace Park was pregnant but I wanted the Yakuzza to blow him away just so the story line would go away - it was tedious.

16. Top41

I wasn't a huge fan of that, either. The show has always tried to contrast Danny and Steve--with Danny being the one who adheres to the law much more closely. It would have played better if it had been during a fight so that the killing could have been self-defense, but I guess the point of it was that Danny was getting revenge.

Yeah… continuing storylines or focusing on the emotions of the characters definitely aren't their strong points for sure. I do think we'll see some fallout for Danny emotionally, but it could be that I'm just being overly optimistic.

I wasn't crazy about that either--it dragged on for a little too long.

17. Top41

Thoughts on Friday's episode? I thought it was okay… it felt a little like filler to me. And Danny being absent from an episode is never a great thing. Not only is he my favorite character, but the dynamic between Steve and Danny is my favorite thing about the show. It made sense story-wise, though. I did like Steve's call to him about midway through.

So I guess Ellie might be a new love interest for Steve? She seemed nice--not completely memorable, but there is a kind of sweetness about the idea that Steve's dad sort of brought them together from beyond the grave.

I figured out the mystery pretty early on--STOP READING HERE IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT--as soon as Steve and Chin visited the guy in jail, I put together that the drug dealer had killed the bartender because he was trying to save the kid from working for the drug dealer.

Jerry's whole counterfeiting case hasn't grabbed me yet but I guess it's going to kick into high gear next week.

18. Marc

Well they wrapped up one little plot line last night that's for sure and I think that fight at the end involving McGarrett must have been the most violent we've seen on the show.

Though the framing was a bit of bizarre - not sure why the drugs would have been making Steve think about an alternate history scenario. Guess best not to think about it.

19. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

That was an odd episode. Not bad odd, but just disjointed. Felt like something you would do for a series finale with the big Baywatch cheesy musical montage at the end.

The weird alternate history flashbacks were kind of funny, but ultimately didn't add anything because it wasn't even a flashback to real events. It didn't even really provide any insights into how Steve views his comrades, instead going for funny role reversals or exaggerations like Danny as a easygoing Hawaii-loving torturer, Kamekona in prison, or Jerry as a mentally ill homeless man.

The fight with Wo Fat was awesome, but I think taking down the biggest big bad on the show needed a story with a bit more heft to it than Wo Fat kidnaps and tortures Steve, then Steve gets loose and kills him with no further develop leading up to that.

Plus, we already had a whole flashback to the pilot episode before, so it sort of felt like a rehash of that. Like I said, not a terrible episode or anything, but not really what I would have wanted for such a major villain being taken down.

20. Marc

My EPG said that the it was the shows 100th Episode so I guess that's why they did the montage etc and wanted to do something big. It just didn't come off.