Honor Harrington casting call

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jiraiya, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Jiraiya

Jiraiya Lieutenant Red Shirt

I just recently was introduced to the Honor Harrington series of novels by a friend. Needless to say, I'm hooked.

I have since finished At Basilisk Station and I am halfway thru The Honor of the Queen. I also picked up the starship board/miniature game from Ad Astra Games which has some excellent background material.

If they ever made a film adaptation of any of the books, the only actress I can see portraying Honor is Angelina Jolie and the actor who portrayed Gaeta in nuBSG playing Andreas Vinizelos.

And get the FX crew from nuBSG to handle the FX if not RDM to produce it!

Any of you guys got some ideas?

Thanks,

J

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  2. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

If I remember right John McTiernan is/was slated to direct a big screen Honor Harrington flick. I like that choice if he can channel some of his old school Die Hard/Predator/Hunt for Red October vibe into the project.

A Honor movie could have the greatest space battles of all time if they find a way to slip in the exposition that explains the tactics of what is going on. We've never really had that concept in sci-fi because it requires a ton of exposition and lecturing that would slow the story to a stand still. Honorable mention to Wrath of Khan and BSG for trying however.

3. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just can't get over the dildo shaped ships . . .

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Agreed about Jolie as Harrington. I understand that Weber disagrees, but c'est la guerre.

5. aelius

aelius Commander Red Shirt

Jolie would be good if she was the same age she was in Gia. Remember, these people are Prolong recipients. They look like they are twenty when they are fifty, or even seventy.
    While I would love to see a movie adaptation I have a hard time casting it.
    I have been reading the series since Basilisk came out and am currently reading the latest "Storm from the Shadows". I am glad you are getting to enjoy the series. Keep us updated on your progress, I would love to hear your thoughts on it.

6. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

Uh, Grace Park long before Jolie!

7. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

^^
    Better; Angelina just has no Asian facial qualities, and that's an important part of Honor's appearance. Charlotte Lewis (The Golden Child) would be good, too

8. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's weird, because based on the book covers I would have never thought she was Asian.

I suppose if they wanted to keep to that, they'd get generic actresses like Maggie Q or Kristen Kreuk. :lol:

9. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Honor's mother is of asian descent, her father is (IIRC) a caucasian, so Honor should have mixed features to some extent.

In Jolie's favor: see Jolie in Sky Captain and The world of Tomorrow. Her character's appearace int hat film could almost be Honor in one of the middle books of the series.

Grace Park might be interesting, but how tall is she? I seem to recall that Harrington is supposed to be somewhat tall.

Other characters:

Admiral Sarnow - Kevin Spacey
    CPO Harkness - Brian Dennehey
    Protector Benjamin - Kevin Costner
    Michelle Henke - Gina Torres

Serveaux likes this.
  10. Admiral Buzzkill

Exactly - Weber's conception of her doesn't even make it into the marketing images for the books. Why would anyone worry about that - or the details of the "anti-aging treatments" - for two seconds if Jolie turned out to be willing to star in their movie?

No one.

11. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Stephanie Jacobsen :thumb:

12. firehawk12

I'm curious how it's important that she's half Asian? And which Asian ethnicity is she?

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Well, it never enters into any understanding of character or the direction of the stories. It just lends a bit of specificity to her background.

Any production designer who decided to keep the "hammerhead" ship designs would need to work really hard to bring some character to them that would read well on screen.

14. aelius

aelius Commander Red Shirt

It is not important at all. Her mother is Beowulfan. She just happens to be of Asian descent. As for Honor's appearance check out the original cover of "Field of Dishonor", that is my image of Honor.

15. firehawk12

So really, it might as well be Angelina Jolie then? :lol:

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Which appear to be identical in appearance among different organizations, such as the Manticorian Navy and the Republic of Haven. What are the odds that differing groups like that would use the same ship designs? :borg:

I'm down with that. :techman:

17. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

David Weber?

18. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Well the designs of the ships are governed by the physics of FTL travel in the universe Weber has created. How different is a Russian subamrine from a US submarine?

19. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

That was my immediate thought as well. She'd be just about perfect.

I think an HH film could really work if done right. Stick to the style of the first two or three novels and avoid the later "SuperHonor" period.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I heard Claudia Christian's name bandied about. I think that would be a really bad idea. :cardie: