Jadzia Dax Appreciation

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by DalekJim, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

From her perspective, she got more years of work out of it. She did Becker for 4 years, 3 years after DS9 ended. Except for William Shatner and Patrick Stewart, how many other Star Trek actors have gone on to have that much acting work after their show ended? And even though it was a mediocre sitcom, it was on a big network so she probably made more money, and I'm sure she thought it would be better exposure for getting more jobs.

2. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

To be fair to it, I've only seen like two episodes of Becker in my life so maybe I'm way off base there.

3. Sadara

Sadara Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm not an expert at acting skills so I don't take issue with Farrell's acting chops. I did not like the character though. She frequently sounded like she was talking down to everyone. She just rubs me the wrong way.

4. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

True, but a lot of characters are like that. Odo is elitist and misanthropic to the point of hilarity.

5. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

Well...I'd disagree on the "smug" thing. One of her defining traits was her wisecracks at the expense of the world around her.

Still--Terry is indeed a good actress. I mean--heck, TPTB at Becker must have seen something in her, to invite her on as a regular!

I agree. She and others regarded herself a warrior, she deserved to go out like one, dying to save lives, that sort of thing. And to add to that--are we to believe Worf never expressed any feelings of vengeance against Dukat?

To be honest--I'd say who you like or don't regarding the two Dax's of DS9 is akin to whether you prefer Diane or Rebecca (Cheers). I and many others will take Diane any day--but I understand fans of Rebecca. I don't care for Rebecca, personally--but I understand those who do. It's just a matter of what kind of woman strikes your fancy.

(TBH...before Rebecca's "breakdowns" and gold-digging, she strikes me as kinda like Jadzia, personality-wise. I don't know. I certainly see some of Ezri in Diane--some....)

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is genius.

All that almost-gumpy trying hard and naturally genial sweetness. They both have it. Just add some bubbles for Ezri.

7. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

^Thanks. :cool:

I actually find Ezri's bickering with Worf in "Penumbra"--and the "I seduced you?" sequence in "Strange Bedfellows" as having some shades of Sam/Diane--to an extent. The campfire scene has an "Are you as turned on as I am?" vibe to it....