Comic-con news

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Turtletrekker, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good to hear that Bacco comes back. And since you have proved that you're good at cleaning other peoples mess in the past, I'm looking forward to this.

Margaret Wander Bonanno's name alone makes that a must buy. It doesn't hurt that I like the stuff by most of the others as well, though. :)

Very good. If someone is able to bring the series back on track after the disappointing Sword of Damocles it's Christopher.

Wow. They finally get rid of Golden, and hire the only writer whose past stories have made Golden's stuff look decent in comparison? I guess that was the final nail in the coffin for my Voyager-Relaunch reading. :(

Nothing new here, with the exception of the date. Would have liked to see it earlier, but I guess the editors are trying to get the whole Destiny related stuff out as close as possible.

Good Line-up. :)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  2. JAG

JAG Vice Admiral Admiral

I am looking forward to all of these. Thanks for the info KRAD. I think I am most looking forward to the COE omnibus.

3. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

sounds great, looking forward to the destiny trilogy and the aftermath of it.

Still no New Frontier, very dissapointing (yes I know we have the comics) but i would love some new frontier books soon

4. 8of5

8of5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well Peter David is in Shards and Shadows, so that probably means you've got a New Frontier short story to keep you going.

5. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Except that's a Mirror Universe anthology. While Cutting Ties is by far my favorite story of the Mirror Universe duology, I want more of the "normal" universe. As a full novel, not short story or comic. :p

Yeah, yeah...I'm being picky and impatient. So what?

6. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I realise this will come across like a fabulously wealthy man complaining that his massive piles of gold aren't quite shiny enough for him, but...

No DS9-R after Fearful Symmetry? :(

7. 8of5

It's only the first few books of the year announced so far, doesn't mean there couldn't be new DS9-r, New Frontier, Enterprise, TNG, etc etc out later in the year.

8. Julio Angel Ortiz

Julio Angel Ortiz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Exactly. We've seen only, what? The first five or so months of releases? If the latter half of 2009 is anything like the first half, Pocket Books will be getting quite a bit of my money. That first half is loaded.

9. Titus Andronicus

Titus Andronicus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

All I'm going to say is that I'm going to have to allocate money and save up now for all of these great works coming out next year!

10. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

11. Jim Johnson

Jim Johnson Writer Premium Member

Awesome. I finally get to see everyone I'm sharing the anthology with. Looking forward to it. :)

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Hi, folks! Had a good time at the con, and right now I'm posting from my laptop at the New York Public Library.

Actually, the books by Keith, Kirsten and me will revolve entirely around Mr. Mot, Mortimer Harren, and Ensign Panyarachun. Not necessarily in that order. :D

As Keith said, some covers were revealed, and should be online soon. I'll just say I'm pleased with the Greater Than the Sum cover, and that the cover to Destiny Book 2 is gorgeous.

Not wrong, just slow, and only where the covers are concerned. The duology is still on track for July/August release.

By the way, there's a bit more Trek news from Comic-Con that's not novel-related. I happened across the booth for GIT, the company that has put out DVD-ROM collections of the entire runs of various Marvel comics (their Amazing Spider-Man collection was invaluable to me in researching Drowned in Thunder), and they had posters up proclaiming that a complete DVD collection of Star Trek comics is coming this fall. I asked the people there about it, and they said it's due in October and will contain the complete runs of "all four" publishers of Trek comics. I didn't find out for certain, but I guess if you count Wildstorm as part of DC, that would pretty much cover everything pre-IDW (Gold Key, Marvel '80s, the two DC runs, Malibu's DS9, Marvel '90s, and Wildstorm). Hopefully that's what they meant, but don't take my word for it. Anyway, this is great news, since I've been wanting to catch up on the comics from the '90s that I missed, but it's very hard to find back issues of them (and I don't have the shelf space for them anyway).

13. Titus Andronicus

Titus Andronicus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks for the news, Christopher. I've been getting back into Trek comics thanks to the IDW run recently, and I can't wait to go back and read some of the DC Comics that I grew up on as a kid.

14. 8of5

Woooow! I have most of Marvel and WildStorm, but my DC sets are full of holes, everything in a set of DVDs would be fantastic *rocks with excitement*

15. Turtletrekker

That's awesome! I'll buy it. :)

And it's not completely unrelated to the novels, as several comic characters have shown up in the lit. "moron"/Bernie/Kobry from DC's first run showed up in Strike Zone, which also wrapped up one of PAD's comic storylines. Several of Diane Duane's novel characters showed up in the comics. Transporter chief Sara Tuchinsky from DC's second run appeared in Mere Anarchy: The Blood-Dimmed Tide, IIRC.

From Marvel, Burns-With-Moving Grace from Early Voyages appeared in Where Time Stands Still and Burning Dreams. Pava from Marvel's Starfleet Academy book has appeared in three Titan books (BTW, Christopher, check your e-mail for my traditional request-to-the-Titan-author-to-include-Pava-in-your-book message.;)) Part of Marta Batanides' backstory from the SA comic was used in Section 31: Rogue, and one of Omega Squad's adventures from SA was mentioned in Mission Gamma: Cathedral.

And, of course Wildstorm's DS9 comics were all compatable with the post-finale DS9 fiction, sharing the characters of Vaughn, Shar and Jast.

16. Baerbel Haddrell

Baerbel Haddrell Commodore Commodore

Wow, I have been looking forward to read this thread all day but had to wait because my husband had to do some urgent computer maintenance.

I love the idea of putting comics on DVD-ROMs! I will certainly get the Spider-Man and Star Trek ones! I will see how this practically works but an additional incentive would certainly be some extras, some behind-the-scenes stuff what you also get when you buy movies or boxed sets.

"Mack`s Mess" - I love that! Well... if I will stick with that will depend. It could be "Mack`s Mess" or "Mack`s Masterpiece". Or maybe both will be correct. A masterpiece can also be messy. :)

Anyway, I can certainly say that I am very curious to find out what I will think. I welcome the news of more Bacco and who this civilian character will be. KRAD has created some very memorable characters and whoever this man or woman is, he or she could add a lot to the Star Trek universe.

I am happy that there will be more Titan and Vanguard. Voyager, we will see... At least it is good that there is more.

I was hoping to find some NF news (I know, I am greedy) but am aware that the next book will probably be a hardcover and could be added at any time. After everyone else seems to get a good Destiny treatment, I hope NF won`t be the exception.

17. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

You missed Elizabeth Sherwood's cameo appearance in the novel "Gemini" by Mike Barr. :cool:

18. Turtletrekker

The company's website has two Star Trek DVD Roms listed, Star Trek: The Complete Collection, due late 2008, and Star Trek: TOS due early 2009.

19. Turtletrekker

But is it the same Elizabeth Sherwood? Gemini is set in 2267, while DC's Who's Who in Star Trek tells us that the comic Sherwood was one of Spock's trainees in TWOK, set in 2285. ;)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  20. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm glad KRAD you're going to have Bacco returning in your Singular Destiny novel I liked her character in the ATime to series.and that Titan will be continuing where the Destiny books leaves off. Sounds like we're going to have some really cool books coming out.