TOS and Matthew Weiner

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by toonloon, Sep 12, 2013.

1. toonloon

toonloon Captain Captain

Hi guys.

I think I read somewhere on these boards a while back that Matthew Weiner (Mad Men creator) was a TOS fan.

I saw an episode where one of the characters had written a spec script for TOS.

I wondered if anyone knew about Matthew Weiner's views/likes on our beloved TOS?

Thanks.

2. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

From this interview on Hitflix.com Doesn't sound like he's a fan of Trek here, but a fan of Serling.

3. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

If he had been a really big fan, he'd've had Paul's spec script called REQUIEM FOR A MARTIAN.

4. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Weiner is obviously a big Serling fan; he's recorded several commentary tracks which are on the Blu-Rays.

5. toonloon

toonloon Captain Captain

Wow. Thanks guys. Thanks Maurice.

The reason why I brought this up was it just suddenly occurred to me that Peggy Olsen IS DC Fontana.

6. toonloon

toonloon Captain Captain

Here's my reasoning... Peggy started off as don's assistant, did a bit of copy writing then became head of creative.

DC started as gene's assistant, sold some scripts on the side and did some rewriting on TOS then became head writer.

I think mr Weiner is a bigger trek fan than he let on.

7. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Or, that could just be a coincidence, and it ignores the fact that she sold scripts BEFORE Star Trek.