Sir Terry Pratchett launches independent production company

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Bob The Skutter, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Sir Terry has launched a new production company along with the producers of the previously made Discworld stories. With Good Omens and The Watch being the first productions they're looking at making.

2. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

"The Watch" certainly sounds very interesting. The City Watch related books are by far my favourites of the entire Discworld canon (followed hotly by the Death/Susan books.) I mean there seems to be no stopping the unending tide new police procedurals from being made every year, so one of them may as well have a werewolf, a troll and a Nobby Nobbs. ;)

3. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Watch certainly has potential, although it doesn't seem like much has happened with the production since it has been announced. A lot of it depends on the casting, the unsuitable casting in the TCOM adaptation really hurt it, so they need to cast Vimes and the others well for it to work. I'd like to hope that they could get Charles Dance to reprise his role as Vetinari as he was damn-near perfect, but that might not be possible.

4. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

I suppose more Pratchett on TV could be good, but...

Pratchett books have a lot of important narration and the thoughts of characters are prominent (except for Carrot, so that we mainly see him through the eyes of others), and so far, this hasn't translated to the adaptations. For me, that's half the book thrown out of the window. Even Going Postal (the best of the adaptations, for me) was neutered in such a manner.

Just my two penneth.

:D

5. Bob The Skutter

Looks like there's some early movement on The Watch, and appears it's the BBC working on it...

6. TheGodBen

I'm surprised that it's the BBC that's producing it, I was expecting it to be Sky again. Not that that's a bad thing, if anything I'm more interested in seeing what they'll do with it.

I'm not sure what to think about Rihanna taking over the Discworld. As ITL said, the narration is a huge part of the series and that's all Terry. She may end up being very good at it, but I'm hopeful that Terry still has a few novels left in him yet and, more importantly, he's able to get them out.

7. Bob The Skutter

Sky's deal came to an end, that's how the production company ended up getting put together. But it'll be interesting to see what happens with it.

In the interview he said that he can't type at all any more and writing by pen is getting more difficult, so it's all dictated or done using Voice to Text software.

8. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Are they still doing 'Unseen Academicals', or did the licence on that run out too?

Looking forward to the new series and I like the idea that'll be a continuation of the books rather than an adaptation. For me, a major part of the appeal of the City Watch books has always been the ever growing ensemble. Because of this I've always been a bit wary of them adapting any particular story since it took a few books for everything to really click. With that in mind, I think starting with the full cast of characters is the most appealing way to go.

In a way I think this is best for the characters too since they've become such a large an nuanced group that it's been hard to give them all due time in the novels.

9. TheGodBen

The last few novels were written like that, so he might be able to get a few more done before his memory and concentration give out. Hopefully his planning for the future of the Discworld after he's gone is just prudence and not an indication that he'll be taking a holiday to Switzerland any time soon.

10. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, if it's managing the property vis a vis making it TV series and movies then I think she could be a good custodian because she'd know what works and doesn't with Discworld adaptions.

But I really don't think there should ever be a Discworld novel that isn't by Terry Pratchett, i.e. I hope she'll be more of a Christopher Tolkein (albeit one more in favour of media adaptions) and less of a Brian Herbert.

The Watch is something I'm excited about because it's really the best novel series to adapt for television particularly given TV's long dependence on the police procedural. But that casting is gonna be key.

I just can't think of anyone I'd want to see as Cheery Littlebottom, for example, and I love her.

11. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^For practical purposes I think they'll probably be casting midgets (are we still allowed to use that word?) to play the dwarf roles. I can't see a TV budget being able to deal with the kind of in-camera forced perspective or post production compositing that would allow someone of average height to appear to be under 4'.

With that in mind, whomever they cast as Cherry would probably be an unknown actress. Either way, I can't help but wonder if they'll chicken out and loose the beard. ;)

To my mind, Carrot and Angua are the real challenge. It's not enough to cast people that look the part, they really need to embody some really rather complex and subtle characteristics.

The trolls might be a little bit tricky too. I mean I'm sure they can build a costume, but getting it to emote might be tricky.