Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I never read the Marvel Comics when I was in comic book mode. The only films I've seen of theirs are the first Spiderman and the first two X-Men. I know of some of the other characters though, due to a crudely animated series of 5 minute cartoons in the 60s. Each one just had one hero, like Captain America, Thor, Hulk, Iron Man, Spiderman, and Submariner. They each had their own theme song.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The 60s Marvel cartoons... You know how south park animation is more like pupeteering than animation? That's what they did, they took cut outs from real marvel comics with a boxcutter, and then just stop motioned the comic art while super imposing animated mouths and blinking eyes.

(You don't watch South Park? Shit, dude. That's harsh.)

3. Melakon

No working tv. But I've seen South Park clips on YouTube, and they always looked like construction paper cutouts to me. Didn't know that about the Marvel cartoons, but it explains why the animation looked about as bad as Clutch Cargo.

4. Guy Gardener

If you want to read comics, go to your local library.

Unless you live some place Jesusy horrible, they should have everything.

If you don't want to read comics, carry on, you're doing fine.

5. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

6. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

FYI that's not how the 60's Marvel comics were done. And second, there were two 12 minute stories in each half hour episode, sometimes one 24 minute story.

7. Melakon

That may be how they were broadcast in your area, but not mine. According to Wikipedia, The Marvel Super Heroes program of 1966...
    In my area, the individual short cartoons were mixed in with a jumble of unrelated cartoons, like Roger Ramjet and Dick Tracy. And I was mistaken about Spiderman being in there. I'll attribute my error to not remembering things quite clearly due to how long it has been, and that it was nearly 3 a.m. when I made those comments.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Marvel_Super_Heroes

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  8. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I've just realised that he played the villain in The Escape Artist, a thriller which aired on BBC last year, with David Tennant (Doctor Who) in the lead. He was excellent in it. Haven't seen him in anything else but on the basis of his scary psycho Liam Foyle in Escape Artist, I think he has the makings of an excellent Victor Von Doom. Depending on how the character is written and directed, obviously.

9. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

In NY, it was on Channel 9 (WWOR) Monday thru Friday.
    Monday was Captain America
    Tuesday was The Hulk
    Wednesday was Iron Man
    Thursday was Thor (Thorsday)
    And since you couldn't eat meat on Fridays, it was The Submariner.

10. Melakon

I never had trouble eating meat on Friday, since I wasn't Catholic. ;)

11. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I LOVE those cartoons for precisely that reason! It is like a readers theatre more than a cartoon!

12. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I loved those cartoons, too, as bad as they were-- and they did inspire the motion comics of today.

I don't remember how long each individual segment was, but in my area the show was hosted by a real guy in a Captain America costume.

13. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

The Freedom Force PC game also did some great origin cut-scenes in the same style.

14. Guy Gardener

You are talking about this but, I am thinking of this.

My fondest memory of Freedom Force is during the John Walker Captain America era when they were under cover pretending to be the complete staff of a US Court Room, and "Judge" Blob is manically whacking his gavel against his desk screaming "Shut the hell up before I sit on ya!"

15. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Writer/producer Simon Kinberg discusses the tone of the film and the casting.

One passage that I found particularly interesting:
    Because the Fantastic Four are all about being gritty, grounded, and realistic.

16. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I am so sick and tired of that phrase lately. You're correct, the FF were never gronded, gritty or realistic.

17. Guy Gardener

The Thing got really grim after Wolverine cleaved half his face off.

:)

They have had their moments, but yes, only moments.

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I wouldn't mind an element of realism, at least in the kind of verite approach to a fantasy subject that Trank employed in Chronicle. It can make a wild fantasy easier to buy into if it's presented in a way that feels naturalistic.

But "gritty?" The Fantastic Four? That doesn't seem right to me. I'm not as familiar with the FF as I am with characters like Spidey or the X-Men, but from what I've read, they seem to be sort of the Star Trek of the Marvel Universe -- the explorers and builders, defined by a spirit of optimism and adventure. They should be upbeat.

19. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

At this point, I'm not even sure what people mean by gritty. I'll take that comment with a grain of salt. I'm already on record as not being enthusiastic about this project and I'm waiting for a trailer before I care at all either way. I'll see what the tone in the trailer is before deciding if it's too gritty.

20. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Spider-Man 3 was certainly gritty every time Sandman was on screen.

I'm here all night folks!