Lindelof On The Mysterious Harrison

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by TrekToday, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Don't you mean
    Paul Starr

2. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe he's actually...

Matthew Star! That explains his powers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Powers_of_Matthew_Star

3. WarpFactorZ

Re: Lindelof On The Mysterious Harris

In the most recent issue of "Countdown To Darkness"...

While on the new Enterprise, Capt April activates a sub-program he installed in the old Enterprise to prevent an enemy from taking over the ship, by locking out all systems to anyone but himself. Sort of a reverse prefix-code. Somehow the code was ported over to the new ship, which he subsequently "steals" from Kirk.

Note also that he allows himself to be "captured" so he can be brought aboard the ship, in order to carry out his plan. Perhaps obvious foreshadowing...

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Don't you mean
    James Starkey*

*If you have to ask, you don't know enough Beatles trivia

5. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Except 1) it would be idiotic not to completely scrub computer after this incident so it can't happen again, 2) the idea that the current Enterprise would have the old Enterprise's counter measure makes no freaking sense at all, and 3) the Harrison is a de-aged Robert April is so convoluted and fanwanky it just doesn't work

6. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

[spoiler="name]I knew Starkey right away, but, I had no idea about James until I Wiki'ed him to see if his name really was James[/spoiler] :alienblush: <hands over Beatles Fan Card> :wah:

7. WarpFactorZ

I understand. See, here's my perspective:

I don't think Harrison is Robert April. I think he's John Harrison April, the son of the former captain of the Enterprise. He's out to avenge his father's death at the hands of the Klingons, something I think that will happen in the fourth issue of the comic. This also pays apt homage to Kirk's hatred of Klingons in STIII-VI, and makes Carol Marcus' appearance in the movie even more fitting (a sign of things to come). And he's willing to put the Federation at war with them in order to do it... hence the voice-over line "Is there nothing you wouldn't do for your family?" in the trailers.

I think the actions of Capt April in the comic are foreshadowing of what John Harrison is going to do in the movie. As with the "Countdown" series in 2009, about 99% of the content won't matter for the movie, just a few simple themes. But the "family" and "sacrifice" themes are very prominent, and those will make their way in. Having JH doing the same things as his father highlights the "family" aspect. The conflict arises because Kirk is willing to do the same things for "his" family, but when the "vengence" feeling is coming from the other side, it unfairly changes the perspective.

And I don't think that fan-wanky, any more than having Prime Spock in the last movie as a bridge to TOS/TNG. It was something that served the plot, was a great nod to fans, and could be developed more in the prequel comics (but wasn't a necessary condition).

8. Shilliam Watner

Shilliam Watner Commander

Now that makes sense except for the explanation how he has super strength. It explains why he wants to kill top Starfleet brass (in that scene in the trailer) for sending his dad on that fateful mission.

9. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

I'm still at a loss to understand why so many folks seem to think that Harrison has "super strength".

I've certainly seen nothing that would indicate this. I mean, just cause we've seen pix of him holding his own against Spock in a rooftop fight scene is hardly indicative that his character possesses anything more "super-human" than a slightly better education in the martial arts than Spock has. Period.

10. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Here's a quote from Cumberbatch about the character taken from Movieweb back before Christmas:

Whether or not that equates to "super" powers is problematic. But he does possess greater strength than most people.

Link to story:

http://www.movieweb.com/news/star-t...ohn-harrison-gets-compared-to-hannibal-lecter

11. starburst

starburst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

One of the earlier trailers shows him jump around in a manner no ordinary human could... Almost like hes some sort of Jedi:p

12. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

Yeah, poor word choice on my part. Not "mystery". But leaking the name of "John Harrison", then later admitting it's a pseudonym has certainly kept the buzz going about the movie.

13. yenny

yenny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Y'all know that Vulcan gravity is much higher then Earth. That would be the reason why Spock can do what he can do.

Same with Harrison. He most liking wasn't born on Earth, but on a planet that has a higher gravity then Earth.

14. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

The payoff for who he is will have to be big. Big to fans, but big to a general audience as well. In my opinion, April's son (the guess of some folks -- not a spoiler) doesn't fit that bill. He'd be the son of an obscure character from a cartoon and a comic book. For that matter, even Robert April himself wouldn't be that big a payoff for the non-fan movie goer. And, it would give us yet another Starfleet officer gone bad. How many would that be now? Half of them? Seems like it. In ST09 Abrams deliberately tried to show heroic officers other than Kirk (Robau, Kirk's dad, and Pike).

I keep going through characters from TOS, even the good guys, and Khan is still the only one I can perceive of as having enough name recognition to be of interest to a general audience.

But that doesn't mean I'm convinced he's Khan. If he is, he's going to have one hell of a backstory that led him to becoming Harrison.

What I'm holding out hope for is Harrison's true identity is a jaw-dropping surprise. An "ohmygodreally?" moment. Khan would be OK. But would that be a surprise? Not any more. At this point, it would be anticlimactic.

15. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

In the last countdown book (issue 2) it showed Spock running off.where did he run off too?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  16. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

Completely agreed. Khan would make sense from the jawdropping point of view (although it wouldn't really surprise anyone anymore at this point), but storywise it wouldn't make any sense at all.

But who says it has to be someone well known to the general audience? Maybe his backstory will be explained in a few throwaway lines or in a flashback scene. But that still makes me scratch my head about who from TOS it could be. If it wasn't so extremely unlikely, I'd say it was someone we know from the (Prime)TNG era. Or maybe from Enterprise ... Malcolm Reed's grandson perhaps? Unlikely, I know.

17. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

The Sith returned!

Or KHAN KHAN KHAN KHAN KHAN KHAN KHAN KHAN KHAN.

18. yenny

I don't think John Harrison is someone from the Roddenberry universe. If you look at who he had target? He'd someone set off a exploded device in London England. He goes after star fleet, especially Pike and Marcus. Both of them had serve on the same ship sometime in the past together.

19. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe he's someone from pop culture, from the public domain. Tough British guy, who's available? Beowulf? Captain Hook? Allan Quatermain? Tarzan? Sherlock Holmes?

20. yenny

Try Captian April. It is something that April had done in why Harrison is doing in what he doing. Most likely Harrison was part of the group that the Klingons were supporting. He might had been the son of that group leader. April most likely had hurt or cost the death of that leader.