One Recommendation

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Kestra, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

So people love to give advice even if they have no qualifications to do so. Even if it's not serious life advice, we're full of recommendations for other people. I was just in TNZ telling people they should try yoga. And how many of us have a friend who has become a superfan of some band and tries to get us to listen to just one song? How many of us have been that friend?

So this is your chance to make one recommendation to the people of Miscellaneous. I want to say that it can be about anything but please don't make it anything disgusting. It can be advice about love, parenting, getting a job, etc. It can be the one song that everyone should hear, the one book everyone should read, or the one food everyone should try. Or something much more interesting. I'd really like to get a large variety here so feel free to be creative!

But you are limited to one recommendation. If enough people post, I might open it up later for people to make a second recommendation, but for right now let's just get a lot of people posting.

I'll start it off by saying that I think everyone should try yoga once in their lives. You don't have to be spiritual, you don't have to pay a ton of money and go to some studio. You can try it at home even if you're not super fit or super flexible. Actually, I'd recommend it especially if you are not super fit or super flexible. There are a lot of resources online for beginner's yoga as well as the wide variety of health benefits.

So what do you recommend?

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Travel. Every chance you get. It's the best cure for ignorance and fear.

3. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Use your goddamn turn signal.

4. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

If you don't love yourself, no one else will. Fake it 'til you make it. Belief in yourself is the most powerful tool for success you'll ever have, and ultimately it's a gift only you can give.

Plus, potential mates tend to find confidence sexy. ;)

5. doubleohfive

Serious answer:

This is from Shatner's Rules, but it absolutely applied to me when I read the book last Christmas:

Say yes.

Think of all the things you have missed out on or avoided or didn't get to experience because you said "no." Think of all the adventures and good times and wonderful experiences you could have had, and will have all because you said "Yes."

Don't short-change yourself on the experience of life. SAY YES!

6. doubleohfive

PREACH IT!

It's like Dewey Cox sang:

And then in the end
    It’s family and friends
    Loving yourself
    But not only yourself
    It’s about the good walk
    And the hard walk
    And the young girls you’ve made cry
    It’s about make a little music everyday ‘til you di-ie
    It's a beautiful ride...

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Don't talk about people behind their back.

8. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I've been trying to say yes to more opportunities because I tend to play it safe and it's time to try something different. I've had some great new food!

Also your first response was also acceptable. Like I said, it doesn't all have to be some epic advice. Use your turn signal is a very good recommendation!

9. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Every once in a while, it's good to go ATM...

10. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

This reminds me for some reason of one of my favorite bits of graffiti on the Williamsburg Bridge -- tangentially, I LOVE the graffiti on that bridge; there is great art mixed in with the plain old tags, and some meaningless but beautiful phrases...my favorite is "DOOM TUBA." Anyway, someone painted "Love is always the appropriate reaction." And as cynical as I am, or try to be, I can't help but be touched by that statement.

My advice is: No matter what you are confronted with, try to find something to laugh about first -- before any other response, reasoned or emotional, seek out the humor. You don't have to let other people know that you are doing it, but do it for yourself. It's gotten me through everything.

11. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

Engage in occasional random acts of kindness.

12. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Sleep more.

13. doubleohfive

I think this is why I like Larry David, and by extension, Curb Your Enthusiasm, so much. There's a guy who no matter how angry he gets, he just starts laughing the whole way. It's a riot to watch, but I imagine it's an even better way to deal with anger and frustration than just raging.

14. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Saying no to an experience is simply another way of saying yes to a different experience. But I do get what you're saying. I'm definitely the cautious type and I should try more things without putting everything through an extensive audit first.

As for my advice, chill. Just slow down and relax ...

15. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Hug people more often.

16. Shaytan

Shaytan Vice Admiral Admiral

Life is not meant to be taken seriously.

17. RevdKathy

RevdKathy How scared are you? Moderator

Dance. Whether anyone is watching or not - dance. Get in touch with your body and its natural rhythm, find your place in space and your balance on your own feet. Dance.

18. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't hold yourself apart from other people. Similar to the advice up-thread about saying "yes", if someone - anyone - reaches out to you, accept it and respond. It doesn't have to go anywhere, but take that opportunity to be with someone, to share something and demonstrate that they matter. And don't be ashamed to let people know how much you think of them. We're not meant to be alone, it isn't good for us.

19. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

Visit Scotland. :bolian:

20. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But make sure to ask first. :)