Lost 5x06: "316"

Discussion in 'Lost' started by Agent Richard07, Feb 18, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

57.3%
  2. Above Average

20.0%
  3. Average

17.3%
  4. Below Average

4.0%
  5. Poor

1.3%
  1. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Hurley must have brought Charlie's guitar. Maybe that was what Jack's father's shoes were to Jack.

2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Good call (and Mr Light who also noted it). I didn't even think about why Hurley had a guitar, but that makes a lot of sense.

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I was surprised to see everyone "learning" that Bentham committed suicide in this episode. I thought the whole point was killing himself to convince the O6 of the import of his mission. It was in the newspaper article he was found hanging from a beam. Or were they just assuming he was murdered by Widmore's people?

4. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, Jack was in pretty bad shape when he read that. I don't know if it really registered at the time.

5. The Habs Fan

The Habs Fan Commodore Commodore

Hmmm...well, I have to give this episode an Excellent.

This is the best episode so far this season, and this season has been great (back to season 2 levels.)

Obviously lots of questions were raised this episode, but I was quite surprised that most of the Oceanic 6 made it back to the island so fast. I thought it was going to be during the season finale for sure.

6. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Damon & Carlton said early on that they would be getting back to the island soon, which I am grateful for. They're not going to stretch it out like they did last year when we already knew the outcome.

7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Oh right I forgot the whole Hawking speech. I'm assuming she was talking about Gerald DeGroot. Hey, maybe we'll finally meet the DeGroots in the flesh in the 70s era! And Alvar Hanso! Remember how important they seemed back in "Initiation" and then they just kinda disappeared? :p

Also interesting that there are similar energy sources throughout the Earth and the Island is just the most interesting one. And there's one in LA?! This is a reference to S2's "S.O.S." the Bernard and Rose episode where they go to Australia to meet Isaac the healer who lives over a natural magic spot and heals people with it.

Was anyone else shocked to see the O6 returning to the Island this soon? I assumed it would happen in the finale or the next premiere. I thought they would string it out more. But I guess now we'll get the O6 playing with Dharma as well, which is fun.

8. Trippy

Trippy NaNoWriMo Victim Admiral

Well, Flukie has a jpeg, but 316 is the first page of Prince Caspian where they talk about the kids and their time at Narnia, and how they have to go back, as they are sitting waiting for a train.

train/plane
    Narnia/island
    children/06

:p

9. The Nth Doctor

So did I, but I'm very glad they didn't drag it out.

However, at the same time, we won't get back to that group for the next two episodes. Next episode is about Locke and then the next will be about how Sawyer and company get involved with DHARMA in the past.

10. The Nth Doctor

Oh, good call! I had forgotten about that!

Don't forget about "The Lamp Post." That's pretty important to Narnia, too.

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Was anyone else floored that Locke being dead was a mirror of Christian being dead? I never made that connection before. But the moment we learned Locke died we knew he would come back as a ghost advisor so it makes so much sense in retrospect. And I guess this is the reason he killed himself, not to convince the O6 as I had originally assumed.

Also, was it strange to apruptly be introduced to Christian's father out of the blue? Has he ever been referenced before? It led to wonder what is it that makes Christian special to the Island when he was such a screwup in life. And it makes me wonder if there's something special about Christian's father. Is Ray somehow connected to the Island and Christian was "grand-fathered" in? Is Ray Jacob?

12. The Nth Doctor

Yeah, that floored me, too. I started to connect the dots the moment Mrs. Hawking started talking about Jack needed to get an item of Christians. :eek:

I found that transition to be very jarring, but it quickly made sense. I understand what the writers were going for and I don't think it could have worked any better, but it was still jarring.

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'm surprised that Frank was happy to fly the plane into a crash that would almost definitely kill some of the people on board. I really wish we would get to learn more about him, all we know is his buddy was Seth the pilot from "Pilot" and he was supposed to have been the original pilot, but what's his motivation here?

Also are we ever gonna get a Miles flashback episode?

14. The Nth Doctor

A couple of cool tidbits I picked up from LostPedia:

Ben was in the bathroom when the plane crashed. Just like Charlie.
    Jack was reading a letter that made him feel guilty when the plane crashed. Just like Sawyer.

Sadly, I didn't think of Frank's fate until Mr Light pointed it out, but sadly I'm certain now that Frank is dead. :(

15. Trippy

I'm wondering if the plane crashed at all...they all seemed to just 'flash' off :wtf:

16. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

"who care?"

jack-well we could get some new cast members

"ah yeah"

17. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Oh man I didn't think that Frank would die the way Seth did until you mentioned that. He better not be dead! That would really piss me off... even if he did lose the beard :p He better not be dead!

Oh yeah the Sawyer letter. Good one. The question is did Jack reading the letter magically cause the anomaly to happen? :p

Speaking of the "crash", it seems that the O6 were magically teleported off the plane and deposited in the jungle (in the 70s). Just like the way Christian's body magically disappeared from its coffin. Does this mean Christian had been to the Island in the past as we've long suspected? Will Jack meet his younger father when infiltrating Dharma?

Of course, maybe all of the Losties were magically teleported off the original plane in the Pilot. This would explain why they survived the crash... why none of our characters were shown to wake up ON the plane (right?)... why Vincent's fragile widdle doggy legs weren't snapped to bits when he landed...

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Well if you're going to die anyway you might as well start to "flash" off... :D

19. Trippy

Except we've seen the original crash like dozens of times :lol: And there were bits of plane and dead people every where too...unless they 'flashed' off at the very last second

20. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Recall that nobody was awake for the actual crash the first time. Everybody blacked out. I think they said Kate was awake the longest or something like that? I don't recall anymore.

I forget in the earlier episode when the Faraday group finds the Ajira wreckage what exactly did they find? Plane debris or just a life raft?