Generation Kill

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by apostle83, Aug 18, 2008.

1. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, if you believe Wikipedia, apparently it's required reading for officers in training now; the idea being that the officers need to learn how to work with NCOs better.

2. Tomato

Tomato Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's the truth. Read Generation Kill the book, which the show was based on. Mattias was a new breed of Generations who believed in doing things unconventionally. Hence Force Recon being chosen to do what they did.

3. firehawk12

Well, then there's the thing of Rudy Reyes playing himself... so, I'm sure he had a say.

4. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Evan Wright mentioned that, although, in the book, there's a lot of criticisms of Godfather, if you asked anyone in the battalion afterwards if he was a good commander, they would answer yes.

5. apostle83

apostle83 Admiral Admiral

I just saw something.... disturbing. Very disturbing.

In the episode before the finale, at the end Brad shoots an Iraqi who is gonna try to kill them. After he fires his weapon, he moves his selector switch - you would assume to safe. But the thing is, he moves it TO the firing position FROM the safety position.

This is a serious continuity area.

6. firehawk12

Isn't up the safety position?

But then again - and I just noticed this - when you tag a thread with "guns, killing, war", maybe I shouldn't ask. :lol:

7. Orintho

Orintho Vice Admiral Admiral

I've seen a couple of episodes, but not from the beginning so my comments might not be totally fair.

On the one hand, I like the interaction between the Marines and from what I have read, it is not inaccurate. The cast is pretty good and it is something to see the rather frightening efficiency of what current weapons can do.

On the other hand, I get a slight impression of the people behind the show seem to be slathering on that old 'Nam' aspect to the show. Episode I saw last night even had them singing that 'What are We Fighting For' song from the 60s and they keep throwing the old 'soldier as the baby killer' thing at the audience. I have not read the book, but some things, like the Marine officer inviting his men to openly critique him (in the field no less) felt like a Hollywood contrivance to me.

8. firehawk12

That whole Whopper Jr. thing was meant more to develop Walt's character than it was an examination of Twombly. It's probably the only character development that character will get though... and I guess that makes sense. Of everyone in the show, Brad, Ray and Twombly are the most interesting characters.

9. apostle83

**goes to look at his**

No. Flat pointing out is safe. Up is single shot. Pointing back is either 3 shot burst or full auto, depending on your mode. Unfortunatly, as mine is civilian, I only have the first two positions.

10. apostle83

Church was good. :)

Anyone watching the Generation Kill finale?

11. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I can't watch it live, but I'll either watch it get rebroadcasted or on demand.

12. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

What if you pencil in FULL AUTO and move the switch there? It works for Bugs Bunny.

13. Tomato

Guys,

I've read the book and EVERYTHING that happens in the GK the show, happens in the book. Even Evan Wright is one of the producers/writers and even Fruity Rudy plays himself. Stop looking of a "Hollywoodization" of the war, or some sort of grand agenda. The idea behind GK is how this generation was suppose to sit around eat potato chips and watch TV were somehow transformed into the men you see in GK. And how they became that and what factors caused that.

The only thing inaccuracy which I could remember (my memory is a bit hazy) was Brad's Humvee they got a new gunner or something which they didn't talk about.

14. apostle83

Sorry, it doesn't work irl.

15. firehawk12

Anyone catch the ending? Such a nice cap to a great series. Everyone's reaction to that video at the end pretty much summed up the whole experience entirely.

16. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

it's a pretty accurate window into the minds of the marines in Iraq, you wouldn't believe some of the shit i've seen (and yes the guard is that reckless, and i have the scars to prove it)

17. Tomato

Amazing ending!
    Can't wait for this series on DVD.

18. apostle83

I liked the ending.

I would love to see something on Fallujah.

19. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This particular group of Marines wasn't in either of the battles at Fallujah. But, if you're interested in an absolutely riveting book on that battle from the boots-on-the-ground perspective is House to House by David Bellavia.

http://www.amazon.com/House-Soldier...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219857860&sr=1-1

This is one of those war stories you just can't put down.

20. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well I have to say that kind of surprises me. I guess I really have some misinformed notions about what miltiary life is like. There seemed to be a lot more open insubordination than I would have imagined that the Marine Corps would have tolerated. In at least 2 instances last night, I saw a subordinate officer directly refusing an order from a superior. I just can't imagine that would be tolerated.