Why wasn't Naomi more socially maladjusted?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by JirinPanthosa, Jan 10, 2013.

1. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

When I imagine how a child with a childhood like Naomi might turn out, I imagine somebody who's good at charming and manipulating adults, but has boundaries issues, a sense of entitlement, a need to be the center of attention, and difficulty relating to other children her age.

They could have done episodes that show this and still keep her likable without taking it to extremes. Were the writers being forced to just keep her this cute likable kid or did they just never consider the realistic consequences of growing up isolated from other children?

2. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

I assume she spent a lot of time on the holodeck.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would have liked to see her play with the Doctors children on the holodeck.

Naomi "You're the Doctor's children? Wow!"

Jeffery "He locked us in a box and forgot about us."

Belle "Be careful he doesn't do the same thing to you."

Gosh, the actress who played Belle, is now Sookie's cousin on True Blood.

I might have seen her boobies.

How disturbing.

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wish I had her childhood.

NO SCHOOL. No little shits tormenting me.. interesting adults who went out of their way to interact with me to make my childhood a positive experience. Important impressive people like the Captain full of good will about my development. ADVENTURE. Never having to go shopping. Lots of books and holoprograms and the best windows ever in any childhood to look out of.

5. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Indeed, why should it necessarily maladjust her when it could as easily make her life extraordinary.

6. Guy Gardener

And it didn't make her entitled?

Although, this is what she was like while having 5 to ten hours a day of care and tutoring from Neelix... So what's she going to be like after all the insipid treakleness from the Kitchen rat is out of her system?

Miral Paris (In the original timeline) spent 14 years of her childhood on Voyager, and (All that human DNA must have made her age a lot slower than a Klingon child who looks like an adult, and is an adult by the time they're 8 or nine.) didnt mind at all when Admiral Janeway ordered her to dig not only her own grave, but the grave of every other bugger in the universe.

But she was pretty too.

7. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    I'd still love to have seen a future Naomi more akin to the future Scarlett :) If only VOY had continued a few more series we might have got Wildman: The Goth Years.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  8. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

The Wednesday Addams of Star Trek.

9. Draculasaurus

Draculasaurus Commander Red Shirt

I bet she was really messed up.
    When they made it back to Earth, she probably would try and get her boyfriend to dress up like Flotter, in bed.

10. JirinPanthosa

I would think it's more likely she just can't handle teasing and has to have everything her way.

11. teacake

She would just look at the teasers like they were pitiful maladjusted lower life forms and walk away.

12. JirinPanthosa

Exactly, except she would run to an adult and try to get them to intervene because that's her conflict resolution on Voyager. She hasn't learned any social coping skills, she just knows, cry to an adult and they will fix any problem for her.

And when she was a teenager and started dating, I think she'd insist on everything being her way, and at the slightest hint of resistance she'd start crying and interpret the situation in terms of "Why are YOU doing this to ME?" Then when they dumped her she would come to the conclusion "He was just a horrible person."

She'd basically have all the personality traits of a rich home schooled kid but none of the money that lets them get away with it.

13. Guy Gardener

Yes, I've seen the pictures, but don't you mean... Wildeman:The Wildwoman Years?

14. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because one Wesley was enough.
    That and Will Wheton received tons of hate mail from fans due to his character. TPTB were kind enough not to want to put another young child thru that again. Good for them, nobody needs another Dana Plato.

15. Guy Gardener

Adult Naomi seemed lovely in Shattered.

Why didn't we see an older Naomi in Before and After which was at it's furtherest was an alternate season 7?

16. teacake

OH nonsense. Crying?!

At the "slightest hint of resistance" she would shove that boy back into the couch and tell him Resistance is Futile! You're adaption's bitch and you better get used to it! And then he would cower and probably flee and her little forehead spines would pulse with rage.

17. Guy Gardener

She's an alien.

Maybe she's got no oestrogen?

But Naomi buddied with the Borg kids fine.

Even the other blonde female.

Blonde females at their height are like rats in a cage fighting over cheese.

Or did Janeway eject all those other children for all their own safety because she was stuck with her own bad seed?

18. jpch

jpch Commander Red Shirt

Delta Quadrant Borg Queen appartement 8472
    Well solitude has a major impact of people especially children,but with the Holodeck i don't think it is a problem,in addition the military concept of Starfleet will inhibit the maladjusted child,it is seen that in many families with fathers in the military children grow either excessively organized and socially aware or have major ADD.

Also a fact to consider that Naomi has never seen any other children,she has no emotional needs to be with any,the concept of ''reinforcement'' applies,in this case a neutral reinforcement.(excluding the Holodeck)

Psychologically speaking it hard to know if Naomi has issues at that time in her life,we usually observe issues like this starting form the age of 13+.

19. Guy Gardener

She was 5, played by a 12 year old when the show finished.

20. teacake

She'll come out the other end intolerant of unambitious, time wasting peers. Her curiosity of what she missed out on will be quickly satisfied and she will deem her own childhood extraordinary. I think she's quite self contained and naturally given to a life of the intellect and I can't see that she would turn out dramatically different had she been raised on earth. I don't think it's completely applicable to the military as Voyager is a tight knit community rather than a shifting transient population.

She made friends with the Borg children fine.. I think once on Earth she will naturally seek out peers who have lived different sorts of lives. It will be hard for her to relate to those who have never been in space. She's going to be looking for people like Jake and Nog to hang out with and people like Icheb to be friends with.