September 2012 Challenge: "I have dreamed a dream..."

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Cobalt Frost, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Cobalt Frost

Cobalt Frost Captain Captain

Cobalt Frost in Phineas & Ferb's backyard
    "I have dreamed a dream... and now that dream is gone from me." ~Morpheus, The Matrix Reloaded

Everyone has dreams. Big, small, impossible, attainable; no matter what sort, dreams are a thing common to all. But each person, in their heart of hearts, has one secret dream, the pursuit of which is often a lifelong quest.

Everyone who has had a dream has also lost a dream, and that loss has affected them to one degree or another. This month's challenge is to describe how a secret dream was fulfilled (or was tantalizingly close to being fulfilled) and then was snatched away. The dream can belong to a character (canon or your own), or perhaps it's a dream shared by a ship's crew or even the population of an entire world. Basically, give them what they most earnestly desire, and then yank it away.

And now, The Rules:

• Word limit: 10,000 words max, with a little wiggle room above or below. .
    • Story must be original for this month’s challenge, nothing posted here before please.
    • Let’s keep the challenge in the Trek arena, canon or your personal fic.
    • Only complete stories will be eligible; finishing the story before posting it is a good idea.
    • Post a link to your entry in this thread when you’re done.
    • Contest to run until midnight (US Eastern Standard Time) October 1st, with voting to follow from Oct. 2nd to Oct. 5th.
    Any questions can be directed to me here or via PM.

Allons-y!!

2. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Mmh, the dream theme resonates strongly with me because there's a song describing an utopian vision of the future (where people and animals live in peace, the people are free and there is no poverty anymore - sort of like the Federation though in the case of the song it's more reminiscent of descriptions in the Bible) which is a favourite of mine. This vision comes to the singer in a dream and the chorus line is, "The dream is over. But I will giver everything to make it come true." It's one of my life mottoes but of course, it's a dream that will never come true (not for me, anyway). It's more of an ideal.

That the dream has to be snatched away is rather specific. Not sure I can come up with anything although I certainly hope many others can.

3. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

My characters dream all the time (but it's bed-sleep dreaming). Hmm. Time for character torture.

4. Count Zero

So, is anyone working on anything?

5. RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy Commander Red Shirt

You know, I really really wanted to do this. I even had a great idea for a story. But I was busy working on my massive 58 page TOS fan fic I had just started at the beginning of September.

6. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought I would throw something out there, so this is my entry: Future Aspiration

Set in 2300, as a group of newly graduated Ensigns head off for their posting. A certain young woman has her sights set on her dream ship (which she does eventually get, before going on to command one of her very own in 2320).

7. Cobalt Frost

Do we need to extend the deadline by a day or two?

8. Count Zero

It doesn't sound as if anyone is still working on anything. Maybe give them another day to post here if they do and if not declare Bry Sinclair the winner by default? (by the way, this happened at least once before)

9. RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy Commander Red Shirt

I got nothing planned for this month. I think Bry wins this.

I am really looking forward to the October challenge though :bolian:
    Is the October challenge gonna be a spooky/Halloween challenge?

10. Cobalt Frost

If there are no other entries by the time I get home from class today (today being Oct. 2nd, and I usually get home about 11pm Eastern time) I'll call it for Bry and we'll see what challenge awaits for October...

11. Cobalt Frost

Congrats to Bry for a well-written (and the only) entry to this month's challenge!! Can't wait to see what she has for our October challenge.

12. Bry_Sinclair

Um, I'm a guy :lol:

And wait a minute :bolian:

13. Cobalt Frost

My bad, dude! Apologies for the slip-up.

14. Bry_Sinclair

Don't worry, I've been called worse :)