Futurama Canceled. Again (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Savage Dragon, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is Billy West still going to play nine parts?

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I see no reason why that would be desirable. Well, I guess there might be some interest in the novelty of seeing the familiar Futurama world created in live action (or photorealistic CG), as with the Flintstones movie, say. But I'd still rather see a big-budget animated feature film.

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've already posted my thoughts on this in the thread that's in the sci-fi forum, but I'll just repeat here that Futurama has proven itself quite resilient and I doubt this will be the last we see of it.

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

In my opinion, live action Futurama is already called Farscape.

Human man out of place in an alien world. Alien girlfriend who gets kicked out of her cushy government job. Wacky alien hijinks. Done.

5. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have seriously put off watching Farscape for too long. I need to go watch it. I keep promising I'll get around to it, but something else always catches my attention. No more excuses!

As for Futurama, it got a great run. Lots of hilarious episodes (most of my favorites are in the first two seasons), and a couple of decent movies. I'm happy.

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I hereby command you to watch Farscape. NOW.

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

There was an episode of Buck Rogers in the 80s where he met some off world future humans at a dance party who were clearly not enjoying themselves until Buck taught the band how to play disco... In the old timely a Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, Bing Crosby helped out the bored looking Royalty folke's at a ball by teaching the band how to play Jazz.

Fry did try so hard, but he never really convinced any one that the 20th century was better than the 31st.

8. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Except that Futurama is/was a comedy, while Farscape, as funny as it sometimes was, a drama.

9. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it's the same with me.

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Neat...?

11. The Mirrorball Man

What do you mean?

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Nevermind.

13. The Mirrorball Man

14. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Dammit, this needs to happen: (not my Photoshopping work, of course, this was posted on ComedyCentral.com at one point by somebody else) EDIT - I thought I'd found the original link, but I guess it doesn't exist anymore. I DID find a page that included this and other attempts at Futurama movie posters, though: http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/futurama/images/8082981/title/futurama-movie-posters-fanart

[​IMG]

Keep the cartoon voices for Bender and Zoidberg, though. You can't improve on perfection.

15. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Pretty cool. Though I always thought if one were to do a live action Zoidberg having the mouth something like the Ood on Doctor Who would be the best route.

16. Dr.H

Dr.H Lieutenant Red Shirt

Your not serious are you?

Imagine seeing a one-eyed purple haired sewer mutant in real life. Not for you, but for others who aren't devoted geeks to the show as you are.

Futurama would make an awful live action film. Really there shouldn't be a film in general since the series is not popular enough to even warrant one.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  17. Dr.H

Dr.H Lieutenant Red Shirt

The ratings have really been doing no better than South Park. If anything, the reason for the show being axed is because it's a very costly show to back, and let's not forget the actors want royalty for their salaries so all that factors into them canning the show. In contrast, a cheaply produced show like South Park where they can complete like a whole episode in a week and which 95% of the voices are done by the show's creators(even the females) is lot easier to back.

I'm actually excited, since Futurama will be cancelled, that means Aaron Ehasz will probably return to the Avatar verse and write for Legend of Korra.

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Well, sure, it's a given that it's always a balance between ratings and expense. What matters is not how a show's raw ratings numbers compare to some other show's, but whether they're enough to offset its own budget.

19. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I'm sorry to see Futurama go again, but at least it leaves us at a higher quality than some others than stagger ever onward. And I don't feel gutted like I did the first time because we've gotten to have quite a few new adventures with the Planet Express crew since that earlier demise. I'm grateful for what we got.

20. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

Sad to see Futurama cancelled.