The Improving the JJprise thread

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Lord Garth FOI, Dec 10, 2011.

1. The Castellan

The Castellan Commodore Commodore

Since when do bike pumps, type writers, record players, record players, and so on look more advanced? Looks less like Galifrey and more like Sandford and Son.:p

2. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The classic series sets really aren't half as well finished as the Eccleston/Tennant and Smith console rooms. Even if the new ones do literally have junk as part of the controls.

The overall design is far more alien, more unique and more "Gallifrey", IMHO.

3. Captain Crow

Captain Crow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The junk consoles and dingy console rooms that NuWho seem to love ruin part of the joke about the TARDIS that the old series kind of had. To lesser advanced species the high-techish console and simplistic sterile white room would give the impression it's a very advanced high end space/time machine, when in reality it's an outdated clunker several centuries out of warranty stolen from a repair bay.

4. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Supposedly, the rationale behind the current control panel set up is that with Gallifrey gone, so is any source of actual Tardis parts, even old ones, so he's had to resort to jerry rigging of a level that even the most hardcore redneck can only aspire to.

5. Captain Crow

Captain Crow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Which is negated on screen when the Eccleston/Tennant console room is said to be a specific "desktop theme" rather than a repair job of a damaged console room. Plus the fact that Smith's console room was a brand new one also negates the jury rigged repairs idea for the junk console.

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, right. Everything about oldWho is cheap and cheesy compared to nuWho.

Yet another example of the reason that guys like Abrams and Chambliss and Davies are placed in positions to make these decisions and fan critics are not.

7. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

8. Admiral Buzzkill

It's a lot better than the oldWho versions, but still not up to snuff for a modern production with any ambition (and commensurate budget).

9. largo

largo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

i'm sure the producers of Doctor Who would be glad to know that their show is good enough that the public suspects that they actually have a "commensurate budget". when in fact, like all shows of the BBC, they make do with a relative pittance.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

"Relative" is the operative word there. They do very well.

11. The Castellan

More like they should have worked on Sanford and Son.

Plus I prefer a Who where not every woman's trying to bonk the Doctor.:p

12. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He can't help it.

It's the bowtie.

Bitches love the bowtie.

13. The Castellan

Considering he's the guy who made Lost, he does not have my confidence.:rolleyes:

Well, if they ever go and reboot Sandford and Son, they'll have my up most confidence.:p

14. Irishman

Irishman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What do you mean "what would explain" it?

Why does it need an explanation? Different universe, different artistic expression, different ship sizes.

This ain't your daddy's Star Trek, son. :)

15. Irishman

If I remember correctly, during development of the JJPrise, they had taken note of Roddenberry saying, during the pre-production of TMP that, the film Enterprise level of design was what they had always had in mind when they made the TOS design. And, had they had the budget, we'd have seen a more primitive version of the film design onscreen, if they'd had the money.

The JJPrise is said to be a backwards-in-time design using the TMP Enterprise as its follow-on, working backwards in ways that make the ship look more awkward.

And in that regard (the awkwardness), it certainly works.

16. Irishman

Respectfully, I disliked pretty much every suggestion you just laid out.

You're doing what so many have accused Church and Abrams of doing - being different just for the sake of being different.

17. Irishman

I think what I gathered from Comet's comments about ISDs, etc, was that - if you have a simple silhouette, you need surface details to create visual interest, or vice-versa, thus any redesigned Enterprise, using that observation, would need one or the other to be effective.

I might be reading meaning into it, but that's what his comment meant to me.

18. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Then JJ is an even bigger idiot than I thought, if he took GR's pre TMP propaganda seriously.

19. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

You think JJ Abrams is an idiot? Wow, I never would have guessed.

20. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i agree when when i saw that Trek nation special with his son talking to JJ i think JJ had a smug look on his face the whole time when they were talking togethor =/