The Romulans in JJ Trek

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Admiral_Young, May 21, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

This has something I've been curious about and forgive me if this has been brought up in the forum before but do you think Starfleet or the Federation would contact the Romulans regarding the Nero situation? Nero already separated himself from the Empire in his statement when he first contacts the Enterprise and the crew figures out that he's from the future and created an alternate timeline but with Vulcan's destruction would they have contacted the Empire to have dialogue or brief them on this situation? "Um excuse me fellas...we just had a major encounter with one of your patriots from an alternate time line that has caused the destruction of the homeworld of your ancestors and a founder of the Federation...we'd thought you'd like to know." Or would the Council not even bother and concentrate on rebuilding?

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

No.

3. G2309

G2309 Captain Captain

I wonder if Nero ever contacted Romulus, even just to warn them. I doubt the federation would contact them. But Nero left the federation and klingons in a weakened state which the Romulans could try to take advantage of. I wonder if this will be looked at in the next movie. It would be good to see a different species as villains though.

4. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    I don't think they would. I don't think the Federation cares enough. I wouldn't.

5. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"To the government of the Rihannsu Imperium/Romulan Star Empire:

Before you begin with the customary denial of any affiliation with the renegade Nero, let us spare you that effort by making the following clear: we know with absolute certainty that Nero was acting on his own. We do not hold you responsible for his actions in any way, shape or form.

"It has been rumoured in recent weeks that you are preparing a formal offer of assistance in resettling those Vulcans and other Federation citizens resident on Vulcan who survived the destruction of their homeworld. We would be pleased and gratified to begin negotiations to support that end, with an eye towards formally opening full diplomatic, cultural and commercial relations with the Imperium, should that be your choice over the longer term.

"Peace and Long Life to you and your people."

Signed - President and Council of the UFP

6. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

That scream you would probably hear after that would be the citizens of the Klingon Empire screaming in rage about that development and how this royally screws up their plans to crush the United Federation of Planets and the Romulan Star Empire. J.J. should do this just for that reason alone.

7. FarStrider

FarStrider Commander Red Shirt

This could actually be the basis of a great Star Trek story. . . in one-hundred-twenty-something years, the Romulans are going to be in the same boat as the Vulcans, so reunification efforts will kick into high gear, because quite frankly, the Vulcans won't be in a position to even refine or offer the Romulans red matter in this timeline. . . and given the political climate, there will be some in the Federation, the Klingons, and even some Vulcans (who want to preserve their culture) who will be totally against reunification efforts, and will stop at nothing to end them. . . Make a sort of "Journey to Babel" story, where the Enterprise is ferrying diplomats (including Sarek), where Kirk is chafing under the watchful eyes of a Star Fleet who doesn't quite trust him in the big chair yet, Spock being conflicted about reunification and what it means to Vulcan culture, and the crew having to figure out who is trying to sabotage the whole process, before it ignites a war. . .hell, if they don't do a story like this, I might actually have to break down and write it myself. . . .hmmmmmm. . .

~FS

8. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    It would work as fanfiction, but I don't think it would make it as a movie.

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I had similar thoughts about a Romulan/Federation alliance after STXI.

Despite half-crazed military leaders, IMO the Romulans are a decent people, with a sense of honour (not in the Klingon "Smash! Smash!" way), and I think they'd be apalled at the idea that one of their own murdered the people and home of their ancestors.

The Romulans would be probably happy to conquer Vulcan and rule it, but I don't think they'd want them all dead and their world destroyed.

I can imagine them, once convinced that Nerada was future-Romulan, offering the surviving Vulcans asylum in the aftermath and palling up a little with the UFP. Or maybe I've just read too many sympathetic Rihannsu novels :p

Also, with the foreknowledge of the Hobus disaster provided by Old Spock and Nero to Kirk and Pike, I imagine the Romulans and Remans will have long evacuated come alternate 2387.

Also also: No Vulcan = no red matter = no way to stop "galaxy threatening" supernova in alternate future. Uh-oh.

10. FarStrider

The operative words here are: "galaxy-threatening supernova". . . so It doesn't matter if, or where, the Romulans move, they'll still eventually be toast. . .and don't be too sure that being forewarned of the Hobus disaster will be enough to move the Empire's "half-crazed military leaders" into action in time; realistically, it is extremely hard to overcome ingrained military inertia, to switch gears from conquest to building the infrastructure necessary to move billions off-planets. . . It is in the Romulans' best interests right now to ally with the Federation and help the Vulcans repopulate (so they are able to focus on more than rebuilding). . . but will they do it? Are the hostilities and distrust between the cultures too deep?

~FS

11. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know that the Romulans would care what some renegades from an alternate reality get up to. The more interesting question is whether they believe Starfleet's claims that their star will go nova on X date. (Certainly Starfleet will attempt to warn them - anything else would be immoral.) At the very least, they'll have enough advance warning that they can be on their guard. Nero may very well have saved Romulus in Abrams' universe.
    If the whole galaxy was threatened, then did everyone except Spock in the original reality die? Or did the Federation somehow make an amazing leap in technology that allowed them to move to Andromeda? Did Earth, Vulcan, Andoria and (ulp!) Deep Space Nine all get vaporized and nobody had the good grace to tell us? Even if only a sizable portion of the galaxy was threatened, Earth and Vulcan are still in Romulus' part of the galaxy, from the maps I've seen. No wonder the haters hate JJ so much. He blew everything up!

Okay, seriously - I just wrote off that line as being an, um, little mistake, along the lines of Whedon's claim that "hundreds" of habitable planets could fit into a single star system. Nobody's perfect.

The Rommies still haven't been adequately fleshed out as a species, which is a major frustration, but based on what little evidence we have, I suspect they have a major streak of xenophobia that will make any dealings with them difficult. It's the same problem the Vulcans have - overwhelmingly volatile emotions that make it difficult to deal with members of their own species, never mind aliens - that must be dealt with by some means. Romulans don't use the Vulcan solution of emotional repression, which leaves open the possibility that they have no solution at all, and would therefore be impossible to deal with diplomatically by their very nature.

They'd prefer to conquer it, but I wouldn't put it past them to be just as genocidal as Nero, but without the excuse of being crazed with vengeance. Which raises dire possibilities in the JJ-verse, where Vulcan has now been largely taken out of the picture as a powerful Fed ally. The Rommies are bound to take advantage of that.

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  12. Klingon Empire

Klingon Empire Captain Captain

Hm. If my Theory on red Matter is correct in anyway, then Romulus should still be able to produce Red Matter. Atleast enough to stop the Supernova.

13. FarStrider

What is your theory? We know that in the future Romulans power their ships with artificial singularities, but we don't know if Red Matter is the catalyst for those singularities. . . If it is, then the Vulcans and Spock wouldn't have needed to get involved. . . however, according to Memory Alpha and the "Countdown" comics, red matter is an artificial substance created by the Vulcan Science Academy. If the Romulans have the capacity to make red matter, then they were negligent and it was their fault their planets were lost. . .

~FS

14. Klingon Empire

Klingon Empire Captain Captain

Here you go:

15. Rek

Rek Commander Red Shirt

Just a question, did he create the alternate timeline or go to one?

Cus' then I'm confused. If doing anything during a timeline will create another one thats alternate to the one that was originally suppose to happen, did we ever start and finish any Star Trek in the same timeline or did it create and jump to tons of timelines during each series?

If however, he just went to a alternate timeline, what was the point in that at all? Because after the movie, if the future spock went back to his own timeline then it would be the same and nothing would of changed at all(Vulcan would still be there). It would make a HELL of a lot more sense if he traveled in his own timeline to go back and take revange on the future spocks original timeline.

Although if he travled in his own timeline I am aware it would make more sense to just jump back in time and stop the supernova himself. I guess that was the writers reasoning to make it a alternate timeline, so that the movie actually would be made.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Spock didn't just go to an alternate timeline. He went to an alternate *universe*. At least that's my interpretation.

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The difference between an alternate timeline and an alternate universe is a word in a script.

18. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Alternate timeline and alternate universe are the same thing.

Nero created the alternate timeline by simply appearing in the past and changing things. It's alternate because it's not what happened originally. Up until the "lightning storm in space" which diverted the Kelvin from whatever they were doing, everything was on track for TOS, TNG etc to "happen".

Is it alternate as well as or alternate instead of? That's open to debate.

The many-worlds theory (the current real-life accepted time travel theory) says a timeline can't be destroyed. Thus TOS is still "out there" somewhen, akin to the mirror universe (which diverged from ours long ago, judging by the "In a Mirror, Darkly" intro) or the many slightly different ones in "Parallels" (one of which diverged as recently as "Best of Both Worlds").

This does make a mess of "Endgame", where Old Janeway attempts to "fix" the past and bring her crew home intact, as well as other episodes and movies. By MW, the future she left is unchanged.