Comprehesive stats on what happens in the films!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Decker-ftw, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Decker-ftw

Decker-ftw Cadet Newbie

2. Argus Skyhawk

Argus Skyhawk Commodore Commodore

I posted this response over in the other forum, but this thread is more appropriate for this one:

Interesting, but I don't understand some of the stats. For example, one of the stats is simply labeled "Violence" and The Wrath of Khan gets a "1" while Generations gets a "4". How is the violence measured? There is certainly more than one violent scene in TWOK, and more than one onscreen death. If it is just a judgement call, someone thought that Generations was four times as violent as TWOK, than that is more of an opinion than a statistic, and not an opinion I would share.

Also, what about the stat labeled "Something Impossible"? The first two movies get a "1" each, and the rest receive "0"? Some might argue that there were "impossible" things in just about all the films: Spock's Katra, Time-travel, flying to the middle of the Milky Way in a few hours, the Nexus, more Time-travel, a planet that keeps you eternally young, etc. I'm not saying that I personally think those are all impossible, but one could argue that they are.

Those stats are fun, but I don't get some of them.

3. Brian

Brian Vice Admiral Admiral

Could "Something Impossible" mean that a character in the film stated that something is not possible? That would be a Trekism, of which much of the list is comprised.

4. Argus Skyhawk

^Perhaps, but offhand I don't recall anyone saying that in Star Trek 2 (or TMP, but it has been decades since I saw that one). Also, I am not aware of it being a common Star Trek saying.

5. Brian

Ye canna change the laws of physics!

6. Decker-ftw

Decker-ftw Cadet Newbie

Hi guys, thanks for your input. Your correct the 'something impossible' tally was more about a character feeling that something was impossible and then, somehow, overcoming that obstacle.

It's true that doing something like this isn't an exact science - so we may well have missed some - but it gives a general overview and breakdown on some aspects of the film franchise.

The same goes for Violence with that being extremely subjective. We have debates on what was actually violent and we settled on these results but, of course, every one will have different views.

We really appreciate the feedback guys. If anyone has anymore then please share it so we can improve the site.

P.S. Being cheeky here: if you want to follow us you can on twitter or/and facebook by searching for Randomfilmstats. Sorry for the obvious plug! We're just starting out :)

7. Argus Skyhawk

Yeah, that's not something that can be measured quantitatively. Still, when I think of the violence in Wrath of Khan, I think of brain-eating larvae, and the bloody corpses found on the Regula 1 station, and the burned-up body of Scotty's nephew who left a bloody hand-print on Kirk's uniform, and all the bleeding wounds all over Khan as he activated the Genesis Device while muttering "... I spit my last breath at thee..." and I find myself thinking: They thought Generations was four times as violent as that? Really? Huh.

8. Brian

Maybe it's the difference between seeing the effects of violence vs. seeing the actual act?

9. Argus Skyhawk

So are you saying that TWOK shows more acts of violence or more effects of violence? Either way, it feels more violent than Generations to me.

10. Brian

Well, for the items you listed:

brain-eating larvae: act
    bloody corpses found on the Regula 1 station: effect
    the burned-up body of Scotty's nephew: effect
    a bloody hand-print on Kirk's uniform: effect
    bleeding wounds all over Khan: effect

I'm just speculating that when they counted acts of violence, seeing a dead body or blood on someone may not have been counted, because technically those are not acts of violence.

11. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Generations" has a lot more fist and gunfights than "Wrath of Khan". That's the distinction in my mind. In "Wrath of Khan" all the action sequences in the movie are starship battles and racing countdowns except for a brief tussle and one dude killing himself with a phaser. "Generations" has people getting knocked out, shot at, punched, kicked, and knocked off rocks and bridges.

12. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Have you guys read the reviews on that link? They guy is a hard core Star Wars fan and he gives an interesting perspective on Star Trek.

He seemed to like Star Trek V the most out of the original films and Indirection and maybe Nemesis out of the TNG movies.

I like all Trek films but I have to say I found his reviews very interesting.

13. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Anyone else noticed that the TNG movies don't have a "The ..." title? Was that intentional?

14. heavylids

heavylids Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I found it amusing that he kept calling TNG "The New Generation"