Shane Black might write and direct "Iron Man 3"

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Feb 10, 2011.

1. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

The Hollywood Reporter reports that Shane Black is a contender to write and direct Iron Man 3. Jon Favreau, who directed the first two films, opted out of directing the third installment to helm The Magic Kingdom for Disney. Shane has an impressive repertoire- he wrote Lethal Weapon and Lethal Weapon 2 and directed Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang also starring Robert Downey, Jr.

I think this would be a fantastic decision. Shane Black is one of the best action writers around, and Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang was a terrific blend of humor and intrigue. He hasn't done anything on the scale of Iron Man before, but then again neither did Jon Favreau before directing the first film. At least this proves Marvel is thinking outside the box when it comes to choosing a new director for the flick.

Click here for more. Thoughts?

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I like it.

3. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Ok, I could get behind that.

4. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

If it happens....

(Hallelujah chorus)

BUM BUM BUM BAH BAH BAH BAH BAH, BAH BAH BAH BAH BAH: BAH-BUM...

5. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

It is such an off the wall choice that I have to wonder if RDJ suggested it.

But it would be fun.

6. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe Iron Man can repeat the jokes Black told in Predator. :lol:

7. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Need a "I'm getting too old for this shit" in Iron Man 3 then.

8. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Considering Black hasn't had any work since Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang came and went without much fanfare (a shame, since it might be the best film he's made) in 2005, I'll take this with a grain of salt.

That said, I hope it's true. He's proved that he can get great work out of Robert Downey, Jr., and his breezy, comedic touch is exactly what Iron Man needs more of.

9. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

This would be brilliant. Especially if he writes it. Lethal Weapon, The Last Boy Scout, Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang - how could it not be good? (Let's ignore The Last Action Hero). And we know he works well with RDJ

10. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's probably one reason they want him. Favreau made like $12 million for Iron Man 2. Feige couldn't be too happy with that, in addition to Favreau not liking all the plotstopping setup of The Avengers.

11. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Black has been getting closer to making a move to directing big budget films over the last couple of years, although the projects he's been attached to write and direct haven't come to fruition yet (Doc Savage for Columbia, which he signed on to in early 2010, and Death Note for WB, which he signed on to just last month). I'd most like to see his Doc Savage get made, but Iron Man 3 would also be a good project for him - it would certainly be a solid launching pad for him as a big budget director.

12. Captaindemotion

As for him not having made a movie since 2006 - what has the director of The Avengers done since that year?!

13. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Written and produced Dollhouse, a TV series which lasted two years (Whedon also directed a few episodes).

Whedon has also directed two episodes of The Office and an episode of Glee.

Written a horror movie that has been completed for a while (The Cabin in the Woods).

Wrote and directed a popular online video series (Dr. Horrible).

So, yeah, I don't really see your point.

14. Captaindemotion

^ And how many big-budget movies has he done?

(I'm a Whedon fan by the way. My point, since it escaped you, is that lack of big-budget movie experience doesn't seem to be a bar to you directing a movie for Marvel. And good for them)

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Fair enough, but my point was the Black hasn't been getting any work since Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang.

16. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

As I mentioned earlier, he's signed two major writer/director deals in the last year or so, although they haven't come to fruition yet.

17. Captaindemotion

^ He's been hired for movies (Doc Savage, Death Note) which so far haven't gotten off the ground and he wrote a draft for Lethal Weapon V which didn't happen because Mel didn't want to return (who knows, he might yet).

My take is that Marvel clearly are taking a wiser approach than DC and WB, who seem to think that when a director has a hit with one superhero movie (X-Men, Batman) it automatically makes him right for another (Superman).

Whereas Whedon and Black are hugely talented writers and directors who may not have been troubling the multiplexes over the last few years but clearly have the abilities to make a great Iron Man or Avengers movie, regardless of recent box-office successes. So I'm glad Marvel are being more-open minded than 'how big/ when was his last hit?'

18. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I believe he wrote the Lethal Weapon 5 script on spec, so there's not much to see there.

The two recent directing deals are promising, and the first movement his career has had in five years, but as you've both said, they've yet to come to fruition.

Hopefully I'm just babbling on about nothing, because Black is a terrific writer and director, and it would be a shame if his lack of recent success kept him from the Iron Man job. As far as comic book properties go, it's perfect for him.

19. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

As Aragorn mentioned earlier, Marvel are also looking to hire directors at reasonably low rates. If that makes them more open to talented directors who can do good work despite not having a big budget track record that's all well and good, but their penny-pinching and pushing to fast-track certain films can also be to the detriment of their films and drive talented people away.

20. Captaindemotion

^ True, but they're hiring people of the calibre of Whedon, Favreau (circa IM1) and Joe Johnston, not Uwe Boll or Paul Thomas Anderson. Good balance, IMHO.