BY ANY OTHER NAME: Rojan and the cubes

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Rowdy Roddy McDowall, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Rojan knew so little of humanity that I doubt he had any idea 'who' he was killing. I'm sure all humans looked exactly the same to him. The native Kelvan form has leathery skin and 100 tentacles, after all.

2. Metryq

Metryq Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Leathery? Spock said only 100 limbs resembling tentacles. Although Kelinda might develop a fetish for leather.

The crushed polyhedron reminded me of the "dehydrated" crew in "The Omega Glory." I wonder if the Kelvins have a controlled effect something like the disease from Omega Four? The disease didn't reduce uniforms and other gear, though.

3. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What Rojan demonstrates is more like transporter technology. It isn't simply desiccating the victim by removing all the water. It is (as Metryq points out) also reducing clothes and boots.

I invoke transporter technology because the reduced objects seem to be data storage units-- but with no mechanism. The "cube" itself is the data, stored in the pattern of its molecules.

There must be a nearby storage place for the missing mass that makes up each person. That mass is later recalled and reassembled according to the data in the cube.

4. Metryq

Or maybe the "missing mass" is stored as pure energy (in the "projector" located in Engineering). I always figured the transporter as a derivative of phaser technology. The transportee is "disintegrated" in the chamber. Then a beam of energy projected at a planet is "molded" by the pattern stored in the transporter.

Perhaps the Kelvin technology is a super "Zip file." No buffer degradation, as with the transporter... unless someone uses your foam polyhedron to arrange flowers.

5. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

I always thought the same thing, just being tossed to the ground would have probably knocked a few really tiny pieces off the block. How cool would it have been to have a few tiny holes in his shirt/pants and a couple of little bleeding spots on his skin?

6. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    So make sure that if they fall on their backsides, they're already on a mat of some kind.

7. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Barbara Bouchet in leather . . . :drool:

8. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    That's what egg cartons are for.

9. Metryq

Or maybe waffles. I'm sure Kelinda will want to try it all. More syrup, Rojan?

[​IMG]

Imagine the Kelvin devices turning the entire crew into waffles. ("Tampopo" Trek)

[​IMG]

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

Generic "leggo my Eggo" joke goes here.