La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Harvey, Aug 11, 2012.

1. RyanKCR

RyanKCR Vice Admiral Admiral

I've got to stop reading this thread or I'll have a wife who will be in jail for killing me for dipping into our vaction fund for this. I'll just stick with the movie soundtrack releases. Only three to go, if they are going to be done.

2. Balrog

Balrog Commodore Commodore

15 CDs! Never-before released clips!

I am giddy with excitement!

ETA: I'm betting the set will go for $180 - 15 CDs plus the 100 page booklet. If it comes over $200 I might have to balk at it.

Now if it's $150 or $120, I'll be doing a happy dance...

3. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

Estimated price is around $200-$225. It won't be out for a few months, so there is time to save up for it. That's why it was announced early.

Neil

4. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Soundtracks for Doomsday, Amok, Elaan of Troyus, This side of Paradise, the songs from Charlie X, Eden, can't wait.

-Chris

5. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I already have the soundtracks for Doomsday and Amok, and bits and pieces of the others, but I think I'll be picking this up if budget permits.

6. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I have a few collections of TOS music on disc, but it's certainly not that much. I'll be quite happy to get hold of everything in one collection. It'll be interesting to hear complete tracks and particularly music we might never have heard before.

New TOS music---imagine that! :techman:

7. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

You'll let $20 stop you from having it? Start saving now.

8. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

At the booth at the LV con, I was told that the collection was to cost $200.

9. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

I read on one of the Facebook pages that it will likely be in the $200-$220 range as well.

There is a page La-La Land has set up where you can register your email address to be sent more information about the set. Please note: it is only there for information about the set (and a backdoor means of La-La Land to gauge interest in the set) - signing up here does NOT mean you have pre-ordered the set; likewise you won't have to pay any money to do this.

The link is http://lalalandrecords.com/StarTrekMailingList.html

10. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thanks for that!

11. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I just received an email notice from la-la that the planned retail price for the complete set will be $224.98 and that they're on track for a late November 2012 release.

I'm in.

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Which is just about $15 per CD... a bit steep, but reasonable.

13. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, not bad really considering its a rather rare item without real mass market appeal.

14. DonIago

Or about $25/week from now until then. :)

15. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Well, let's keep in mind we're not just paying for the discs alone. As has been mentioned before, La-La Land needs to sell enough of these to make a profit over the whole enterprise; being that this is a highly niche-based collectible (in fact, I'd probably say that's precisely what it is, more so than just a regular old soundtrack or album), "$15 per disc" strikes me as incredibly fair.

16. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I also got the same email and it mentions a limited run of 6000 units, so plan your strategy accordingly. I'll have to admit, I'm in.

17. DonIago

(wonders whether he can get them wholesale) :evil:

18. JimZipCode

JimZipCode Commander Red Shirt

I have to say, I'm almost as excited about Jeff Bond's hundred-page booklet, as I am about the music itself.

Awesome.

I notice you didn't precisely answer the question. Are Adam's songs from Way To Eden going to be in the set? I know it was emphasized, "every piece of music", but it's not crystal clear that Adam's songs fit into the category.

Are you allowed to answer content questions? "Musicology" -type questions? Or is that all reserved to Bond's booklet?

The reason I ask is, I've read that no "original" music was written specifically for Way To Eden, except that Charles Napier wrote or co-wrote Adam's songs. But I've always had two nagging questions about that.

1. The jam, of course. Bond writes in his book that the jam was recycled from the lounge scene in Charlie X. Is that true? The tune is definitely not in any version of Charlie X that I've seen. If there was written-but-unused music from Charlie X, then that would explain it. Is that the case? Was the jam written for Way To Eden, or Charlie X? Or did it come from somewhere else?
    2. There is a cue in Way To Eden played at the death of Adam, and also at the death of Dr Sevrin, that I've never heard in any other episode. It's a very gentle, almost bell-like cue (maybe glockenspiel?? with maybe some harp thrown in?). You can hear it at 45:27 and 47:21 on the episode at CBS.com. Very pretty, and very brief. The cue echoes the tune of Adam's song "Headin' Out To Eden" (eg at 38:00 on CBS.com).
    Jeff Bond's book says that no new scoring was done for this episode. But that cue uses the same tune as Adam's song! Either Napier sang the song, and then a composer wrote the cue to ironically echo it – which is a beautiful and tragic effect, absolutely brilliant by whoever did it – or else the cue existed previous to the episode, and Napier worked with some arranger to create songs that fit the tune of the cue. And that's interesting too.

What's the deal with the music in Way To Eden? And, will all of it be in the set? (Including the pretty little "death cue" for Adam And Sevrin?) And, will Bond's booklet cover all that stuff for this episode?

Thanks!

Jim

19. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

Music was recorded for that episode and yes, we have it. Some of the music was recorded on set though and that we don't have. You'll have to get your clean bill of health from Dr. McCoy elsewhere.

One quick Charlie X bit is in the episode (when Adam samples Spock's Vulcan harp) but otherwise it's all new.

20. JimZipCode

JimZipCode Commander Red Shirt

I don't think this point has been hit hard enough in this thread. The expenses to make a box set like this are not limited to CD-printing and booklet-printing. There must have been a crapload of research that went into this. For example, the question I just asked about the music in Way To Eden. I'm sure Jeff Bond went with the best info he had, when he wrote his book, but it seems like there's more to the story given the relationship between one of Adam's songs and the score-cue I mentioned. Someone had to track that down, and that was work. (Possibly it was delightful and interesting work, but effort was still put forth.)

That's one example. I'm sure there were dozens of similar cases. At a minimum, written records of recording sessions had to be examined, and possibly cue sheets for every episode (even ones presumed to be track jobs), and possibly the surviving composers interviewed. That's just to gather info. There was also the work done on the re-mastering, which is not something I know anything about.

La-La Land was in it pretty deep, from an expense standpoint, before they ever got near being ready to print a single disc. Maybe a lot of people contributed their effort and knowledge, because it was a labor of love, but there were still expenses. The price we've been quoted seems quite fair, given the effort involved. (I value the Jeff Bond booklet pretty highly, after reading his book.)

I'm sure there has been price gouging on other TOS stuff. This doesn't seem to be an example of it, though.