Nicolas Cage's Career hits a new low.

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by EmoBorg, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I smell possible epic camp awesomeness.

"How'd the atheists get burned?!" :rommie:

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

It would appear that there's enough smugness to go around...

(this is not against you personally, BTW)

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Nicolas Cage is his generation's version of Michael Caine, who used to be everywhere doing some of the best and worst films ever seen (example: Oliver Stone's The Hand, which Caine did because he needed money for a new garage). Caine would often take a bad script because it allowed him to do something he hadn't done before, or shoot at a location he hadn't been before, so he could treat it as a working holiday.

Edit: I recommend Caine's book, Acting in Film, which apparently was based on some videos he did coaching some aspiring actors doing acting exercises.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  4. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

michael caine on jaws the revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific."

5. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Patrick Stewart confessed to making Wild Geese II so he'd have money for home repairs.

Supposedly Christopher Walken has never turned down a role if his schedule allows for it.

6. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Patrick Stewart only did TNG because he thought the show would be cancelled at the end of the first season, and he needed some quick money. Of course he grew to enjoy working on the series.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  7. Melakon

Patrick's also on record as saying he did the film Lifeforce in order to buy new windows for his house. And he gets his first on screen kiss*!

* With Steve Railsback.

8. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

I did not know that Nicolas Cage had financial problems. That explains his slew of bad movies choices in recent years.

9. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Well, I'll be honest, I don't like Kirk Cameron. I consider him to be a self righteous, ignorant jackanape.

10. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

It sadly seems VERY Chistian to me.

Not at all Jesus like though.

11. Melakon

It will probably be a big hit in the rural areas, with churches planning busloads to the theaters. For metropolitan areas, maybe not so much. It might also be one of the few times Cage doesn't say "fuck" in a movie.

12. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked him in "Moonstruck," but thinking about it, I haven't liked him in much else. But I LOVE Moonstruck. Hubby and I quote it on a weekly basis.

13. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

14. bigdaddy

Whatever happened to doing National Treasure 3 and 4? That was a promisingly fun movie franchise that just didn't continue.

15. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

I was working in a big-box bookstore during the peak (then decline) of the books popularity. Looking back it was the Harry Potter or Twilight craze for fundies of the time.

I know. They had a very Indiana Jones take but in the modern era with a dash of "Find your own adventure"

16. bigdaddy

Yeah, it was a perfect summer flick movie. I even own them on DVD, just still fun to watch, and the sequel was tons of fun too. Not like some movies where the sequel is a bomb.

17. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

The National Treasure movies were just fun to watch. Left Behind (books, movies, comics, all of it) is just hellishly depressing.

18. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Depending on how much time you want to devote to it, there's a liberal Christian blogger who spent an exhaustive amount of text (almost 200 posts on the first book!) deconstructing Left Behind - why it's horrific from a theological and artistic perspective, and where the appeal lies. It's good reading in its own right, imo. Here's the first 50 indexed.

19. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

The ones that are specifically designed to give delusional christian fundamentalists a hard on are certainly. Some others may be as well, but we aren't talking about those. This isn't being made as fiction for those people, they seriously believe it's going to happen.

If you don't think that's moronic, then I don't really know what to say to you.

20. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Honestly, don't really see the issue. The film could be good or bad, but it isn't automatically terrible because it appeals to Christians. Been plenty of brilliant pro-Christian films made in the history of cinema. And I don't even like Christianity.

I'm a huge Nicholas Cage fan... when he isn't phoning it in. He's delivered too many brilliant performances to deserve the hate he gets. The problem is that most mainstream movie-goers don't see films like Adaptation or Raising Arizona, so they judge him on Ghost Rider and shit.