Ongoing Community Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral_Young, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Meh?

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I got a chance to catch up and see the finale and thought it was decent. It would seem that Sci was right on the money regarding the Dreamatorium. I'm starting to pull for Britta and Troy now. I've given up on any chance of Annie and Jeff. It could be as someone mentioned prior that they're just teasing the tropes of relationships and not really planning on realizing them.

3. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

Dan Harmon teased at those tropes. But I suspect the new showrunners and writing staff will fall back on the typical relationship stuff that comedies always get into, and that suddenly our characters will start hooking up in season four. It is a standard writers crutch after all.

4. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Great. If this show starts actually using the TV tropes that the past three seasons have merely joked about, then it for sure is going down the tubes.

For example, the reason the bottle show was funny was because it was very obvious about being a bottle show.

5. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Some of the writers, including Megan Ganz (who is credited with writing the bottle episode) and Andy Bobrow are returning, so some of the old Community spirit will carry over into season 4. Hopefully it will be enough to prevent the show from becoming a generic sitcom, and it may just return to the relative normalcy of season 1.

6. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure you can put that toothpaste back in the tube. It would be nice though. As much as I still enjoy the show, it lost the spark of greatness (to me) somewhere around the Zombie episode and has only occasionally found it since. It has been practically(and sometimes literally) a cartoon more often than not since then.

7. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Don't you mean "no Harmon trying"?:guffaw:

8. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
  9. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't actually remember writing the above, but you should be gaoled for what happened below.

It wasn't me, it's a quote from M'rk, son of Mogh, still you should be gaoled.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  10. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Community characters as superheroes!

They're all pretty great, but I think my favorite one has Pierce as Ted Kord Blue Beetle, Abed as Martian Manhunter, Jeff as Booster Gold, and Troy as Green Lantern. I agree with one of the commenters - I could actually hear that dialogue in my head in the actors' voices.

The second one - with Britta as Batgirl and Annie as Batwoman - seems like the roles should be reversed, at least based on the characters' respective ages.

I also like the recurring joke that Troy wanted to be, or should've shown up as, Spider-Man. Although I am looking forward to seeing Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker, I still kind of wish Donald Glover had been cast as Spider-Man...

11. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^ I think Abed would have made a decent Sinistro.

12. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

And once again Community is snubbed in the Emmy nominations.

Emmys = Streets Behind!

13. Chris_Johnston

Chris_Johnston Captain Captain

Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series

Community • Remedial Chaos Theory • NBC
    • A Krasnoff Foster Entertainment,
    Harmonious Claptrap, Russo Brothers
    production, Universal Television production
    in association with Sony Pictures Television

Chris McKenna, Written by

http://www.emmys.com/sites/emmys.com/files/EmmyNoms64-Press-Release.pdf

14. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

I saw that, I meant the actors, McHale, Pudi, Brie and Rash shoulda been nominated. Not to mention outstanding comedy series. Thanks for making sure we don't forget that though! :)

15. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

If ANY episode deserved recognition it was Chaos Theory, so thats nice. I do think it's taking the piss when you have SIX actors from Modern Family nominated though and Danny Pudi is overlooked for the great work he does every week as Abed. As much as I love the show though, if it deserved an Emmy it was for the past 2 seasons, not the 3rd. Sure, Chaos theory was great, but overall for my tastes it was a bit too out there a lot of the time, and if the voters at the Emmys didn't respond to the first 2 years they certainly wouldnt have this year.

16. Chris_Johnston

Chris_Johnston Captain Captain

I've never been able to sit through a complete episode of Modern Family.
    Just not funny.

17. Venardhi

It is more of a Dramedy, but yeah, I don't entirely get the appeal though I've been amused by the couple of episodes I've caught.

18. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Really? I find it hysterical.

:wtf: Parenthood, sure, I can see that being described as a dramedy, but Modern Family? That's a first.

19. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guarantee more people can claim this of Community.

I enjoy both, but Community DEFINITELY doesn't have "mass appeal" stamped on its brand of humour.

20. Venardhi

I've only seen a couple episodes, perhaps they were more understated than most. I'll also admit to being perhaps overly broad with the term due to wanting to differentiate stuff like Community or your average sit-com from say, Weeds or United States of Tara or Californication or the like, Which are generally all lumped in as "comedy."