Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by daedalus5, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ParLawGod

ParLawGod Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I look forward to playing once it becomes free - up to this point I really have not been able to justify buying the game (in regards to both time and money). Lots of bills, and also too much work to get done. Really can't be stuck behind a game...but I think I'll give it a shot :bolian:

2. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

I sometimes forget to check the forums until something happens that reminds me that I need to do that. I've got a lot of good info from there.

On the DOFF system, I've received another green Saurian Science Bridge Officer with the Efficient trait. I think it's from the assignment Evaluate Federation Science Bridge Officer (or something like that). I need to research it more though.

I'm also on part 4 of 6 on the Colonial chain assignments for Delta Volanis for two of my characters. Completing the chain awards a Renown DOFF.
    //

3. Rocketeer

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  4. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Cryptic is having a Last-Chance-Sale before F2P.
    20% on pretty much everything.
    Since a lot of prices will change and likely go up (esspecially ships T3+) now is your chance to get them cheap.
    I know, I will buy the Intrepid and Defiant class at least.

It't won't be the last sale ever, but 20% now is better then 20% later (so pray we won't have a 50% sale soon!!!!). :techman:

5. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

It's probably been three weeks since I even logged into the game...

6. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

New missions going to occur anytime in the near future?

7. Timelord Victorious

Hopefully in February after the FTP celebrations

8. Killandra

Killandra Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I originally avoided it because I didn't want to get involved with another MMO after finally dropping WOW 2 years ago, but being it's going free on my birthday, I may give it a shot. :)

9. Amaris

Amaris Guest

It's a LOT of fun, it really is, and worth the experience. :)

10. Rocketeer

I bought most of the things that I wanted back when someone said that Cryptic would end account wide item purchases.

On another note, my TrekBBS toon, Doc Lee was able to complete the Delta Volanis Colonial Chain assignments and picked up a Blue Doctor as a reward. (For some reason, I was expecting purple.) It's good to get a Blue DOFF but kind of a let down since he already had a Blue Doctor. He's running one of the post Colonial Chain assignments which is suppose to give a Purple DOFF if he gets a critical success.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  11. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

The downtime in this game is starting to annoy me. Seems they take EVERYTHING down quite often, don't get why that is if they let you patch the game every time you play.

I try and log in for 5 min in the morning before work to swap out my DOFF missions, and it's been 50/50 whether the game will even load. And when it's down, they also take down their website, which makes no sense...

12. Rocketeer

Yeah, I was thinking that the other day. I'm not allowed to take a server down without a few weeks of advance notice to the users (unless it's an emergency). However, Cryptic sometimes gives you a 5 minute warning.

Update - I don't mind the outages as long as they are posted. Patches and tweeks need to be made. I just hate receiving an unplanned "The server is going down in 5 minutes." message when I'm 90% complete on a mission. Several hours later when the server returns, I'm back near the start of the mission, my bridge officers are unassigned and all my ship controls are ganked up. :-/

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  13. syberghost

syberghost Commander Red Shirt

STO official forums community moderator emeritus
    WoW goes down every Tuesday. EVE Online goes down every single day.

They gave 12 hours notice, not 5 minutes. This stuff happens in every MMO in existence.

14. Rocketeer

Has anyone experienced this? While gathering data samples at the academy (KDF in this instance), another character approached and scanned me with a blue light. When this happened, 24 data samples vanished before my eyes (the inventory was open at the time, so I saw them disappear.) I know that players sometimes steal data samples as you're trying to scan them, but I wasn't aware that players were able to take items from another person's inventory.

Is this an option that I've missed somehow? Are you vulnerable when the Inventory is open? I submitted a trouble ticket, but haven't heard back yet. Thanks.

15. Jim Gamma

Jim Gamma This space left blank intentionally. Rear Admiral

No, they vanish if you don't turn them in after a certain time, I think.

16. Aeolusdallas

Aeolusdallas Captain Captain

Yes it's a timed mission.

17. Timelord Victorious

They disappear when the event ends. Probably just a coincidence that another player usedan ability on you at the same moment.

18. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Not the announced downtime (think it was set for 7am PST?). My game wouldn't load at 6:30am EST this morning. And then a few minutes after my post here, it was up again, with the announcement that it would be down later this morning.

And why is the website down when the game loader is down? Surely they aren't THAT inter-dependent...? Someone trip and power cycle the router there or something?

I've had it happen to me several times early in the morning, game just won't load, and website is down.

19. Rocketeer

Well that good to know, but doesn't apply in this case as it was in the middle of the event. And these were all data samples that were collected during the current event. Thanks

Interesting enough another incident happened in Q's Winter Wonderland. My character had 9 data samples in inventory. There were a few players running around using their abilities (healing, cover shields, etc...) A guy approached my character, my character flashed blue and data samples started disappearing, one at a time. The chat log said "you used a data sample" 9 times. The person disappeared and I couldn't locate him. I'm starting to think now that he didn't 'steal' the data samples, but that he triggered the routine that removes them from inventory when the event is finished. The routine obviously has some bugs if it's allowing my characters to keep data samples after the event.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  20. Rocketeer

DOFF - Another of my characters got a Renown DOFF. This was a blue Shield Distribution Officer so it appears that the specialization is random.

Q's Winter Wonderland - I ignored this for a long time but after seeing someone run around ESD with a Federation scarf, I'm trying to get them for all characters. Two characters have them currently. Tips for winning the race - You are running against a hologram. Just take off after the starter say '"2".

Crafting - Three of my characters now have complete Aegis sets. If you craft during the Crafting event, there is a 20% savings on Nonreplicatable material.

Omega Force - Jasmine received an invite when she made BG (RALH); however, the mission says that she was not eligible for the mission when she got it. If I drop the mission, will it be reoffered at a higher level? Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.