AMT Galileo Kit

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by 3danim8d, Dec 7, 2013.

1. 3danim8d

3danim8d Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hi,

I have started building up the re-issued AMT Galileo from the early '90s.

I am scratch building some of the interior parts such as the overhead lightbox and and using 3ds Max to build parts for 3d printing for the exterior 'curls' that will go on top of the shuttle, the computer consoles, retractable display arms, equipment packages, the under-wing nacelle braces, the rear maintenance panel, and a new rear landing gear.

You can partially see some of the panels and the door I have cut into the rear bulkhead in the following picture. I have been using a combination of blueprint and screen cap resources to build the parts and decals.

[​IMG]

I have added the grill spacer and forward section behind the bussard collectors on the nacelles. I will be using the extra control reactor parts from the NX-01 refit kit(exterior parts) on the interior of the nacelles and will also be adding the 'Production' intercoolers from the TOS 1:1000 Enterprise kit on the exterior of the nacelles.

This is the very early beginnings of a custom decal sheet for the kit made in Adobe Illustrator, with the computer panels and interior / exterior markings for the shuttle which I am either going to name as the Feynman or more probably the Pausch. I am also going to be adding some 'real world' markings such as a 'Ground Point' and and "Emergency Exit - Explosive Panel' markings as seen on military aircraft. Maybe some No Step markings too. I will be making the yellow band around the interior of the door 'Caution Striped'. The step area of the door is supposed to look like diamond plate steel.

[​IMG]

I need some of your collective Trekbrain expertise, I understand that the Galileo is #7 and apparently the Columbus is #2, what would be a good number to use for the Pausch ?

I will post some renderings of the 3d parts when they are a bit more finished. One thing I am debating as I don't think I want to do a full accuratizing of the rear section, but I may at least model the upper impulse grill to replace that section on the kit.

I am also debating on making an accurate control console to replace the one from the kit which I have added the clear navigator disc. I would then need to redo the three console decals to fit the more correct console design.

Thanks for looking,

Jeff

2. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Well, any other number besides 2 or 7! :shrug:

3. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like to believe that there were four of these type of shuttlecraft, officially designated by their numbers 1-3-5-7 and named Columbus, Copernicus, Galileo and ??? ???.

I also have that same AMT kit. I was always baffled by that kit. As I understand it, AMT (a model kit company) paid for the full-size TOS shuttle mockup in exchange for the ST model kit rights.

Then when AMT does the kit of the shuttlecraft, they do such a poor job of replicating the actual item they paid for in the series! The AMT lines and contours are REALLY off from the real article.

4. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Yes, that is always been a mystery to me. They got the Klingon Battlecruiser so right and the shuttlecraft so wrong.

5. astarguy

astarguy Ensign Red Shirt

Well for me the nice thing is we can all go see the real thing and make our own models from there due to the fact that the original full size Galileo has been found and is restored and on display in Houston TX.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  6. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

And there's always the upcoming from-scratch 1:32 model from Round 2 ;).

7. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Yes! After seeing the fantastic job Round2 and Gary Kerr did on the 1/350 TOS E kit I am so looking forward to their shuttlecraft model.

8. 3danim8d

I haven't had much time to work on this lately, but did fire off a test spin of the parts I have in progress so far and this is it.

I have decided to start model something new for inside the nacelles, as the 1:1000 parts didn't seem large enough for the kit. I also think I am going to model a whole new control console that is more accurate than the one provided in the kit.

Here is the low res video on youtube.

http://youtu.be/UAN2YE9UG2E

Has anyone heard anything new about the PolarLights/R2 Galileo kit ?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  9. 3danim8d

Haven't had much time for this, but I did start working on the engine grille.

[​IMG]

10. Rattrap

Rattrap Commander Red Shirt

Latest word on the Polar Lights/Round 2 design is "We're working on it!"

The big problem they're running into is that the interior and exterior dimensions of the sets are nowhere near close. The actual shuttle is, according to the reports I've seen, usually described as between 22-24 feet long. To get the interior set into that shape, though, would require them to make it well over 30 feet long. Fans want an accurate outline in scale with a to scale interior, and well, you can't get there from here. So, the guys at Polar/Round 2 are bashing their brains out on their desks trying to come up with a reasonable compromise that will make the most people happy.

By the way, this is a common problem in filmmaking, in fact it happens more often than not. One of the few cases where the interior actually fit the vehicle was Airwolf, but that's because Bell had an old cockpit mockup they let them build the interior in.

11. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

The Romulan BOP was pretty far off too.

12. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

My understanding is that AMT also built the Klingon Battlecruiser. But, Wah Chang built the Romulan BoP, and the original model was already gone by the time they were making the model kits.

The inaccuracies of the Enterprise were from it being based on earlier MJ drawings.

I think the compromises with the shapes on the shuttle were done knowingly in order to keep the kit manufacturing costs down. Making an accurate one would require several more parts, I bet a whole new set of tooling, adding significant up-front cost.

I don't have any idea about why the K-7 station was so far off.

--Alex

13. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Here's the thread on this subject over at HobbyTalk. Nothing new since April.

Another example of the interior not having to be "fudged" is the submarine Proteus from Fantastic Voyage. Because so much of the inside could be seen through the huge window bay, the studio mockup had a complete interior built inside it. The mockup had several removeable "wild" sections to allow for filming from different angles.

14. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Gary Kerr has finished designing the model kit. The plans are done. The ball is in Polar Lights' court now. Jamie Hood at PL says he's occupied with other things at the moment, like getting the Lindberg kit line organized, but don't worry, he'll get to the shuttle.

15. 3danim8d

Well, I haven't had a chance to work on these parts recently, and am now suffering through the untimely death of my primary workstation, but I did get my first set of 3d printed parts from Shapeways. They aren't Star Trek, but I am fairly happy with how they turned out, a little grainier than I expected, so I'll have to see how these turn out when finished.

[​IMG]

16. 3danim8d

17. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

One could always say that the AMT shuttle was just a little more roomy in back without the scalloped aft.

18. 3danim8d

I haven't had much time to work on these parts, but I did a turn around rendering to test the new Sp3 of 3ds Max to see if it resolved a mental ray rendering problem I was having with this file, so here it is for now...

http://youtu.be/isEi3YXiFSQ

19. 3danim8d

Happy New Years!

Since this is a different class of shuttlecraft ( the decals I am working up have a "Class J" moniker with load details to be placed by the door) I pushed the engine grill back more. thought about adding some other external details and played with adding some material to the top mimicking the shapes on top of the shuttlecraft from STV.

I think I need to expand the arcs on the top curved pieces.

[​IMG]

I wasn't planning on replacing the entire upper rear deck, but now am thinking of reducing the taper at the back by 1/2, expanding the engine grill and flaring the wings out by about the same dimension.

What do you guys think ?

20. spockboy

spockboy Captain Captain

I think you have some GREAT work there!
    Well done.

As as far as a model kit goes, I think THIS 20 inch beauty should be made into a kit (including a lighting kit) and FINALLY some spinning nacelles!

http://titaniccreations.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=15424797

[​IMG]