DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Like the respect given to Watchmen?

Yeah, as soon as DC needs to do a big event for Bats, Damien will be back

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yeah, I doubt they'll have much "respect" for him once he's gone. If they think it can be profitable to them they'll bring him back. Look for Superboy to punch reality in the face again.

3. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Rather than get somebody new, Tim or Steph should return to the role.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

They don't need to get someone new...they've Harper waiting in the wings ;)

5. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tim's a superhero now in his own right. Why would he regress back into a sidekick?

6. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Damiens blood was infused with Lazarus Pit juice, he just needs a little bit to recover, he will be fine.
    I am looking forward to a new and female Robin making an appearance. Time to break up the all boys club there and would enjoy the Batgirl, Batwoman, Robin teamup as well.

7. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Quick thought on Batman Inc #8 -- I cheered, I laughed, I feared, I cried.

[SPOILER="Spoiler...]It's fitting that Damian's last partner is also his first -- Dick Grayson. And when they resumed their partnership for this final stand, I cheered.

When Damian and Dick went into battle together, there were flourishes from the old Batman television series. I laughed.

When Dick fell in battle against the cloned thing, when Damian made a stand on his own against the thing that outclassed him in every way, I feared.

And when Damian's battle against the cloned thing reached its harrowing climax, when Batman raced across Gotham on the back of Man-Bat, when Batman cradled Damian's broken and lifeless body, I cried.[/spoiler]

Good job, Grant Morrison.

8. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

You are seriously overestimating the importance of Batman Inc if you think it's comparable to Watchmen.

9. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Ugh, they actually did it. I really hoping that wouldn't happen. I think Damien is a great character. Still, it was well done in the issue. I'm really glad he got partnered with Dick for his final fight. I figured, uh, does Big Damien Clone have a name?, would be the one to do it. I wish Damien at least took him out in the process of dying.

10. Admiral_Young

I just finished Batman Incorporated #8. I know some of you dislike Burnham's art work but I thought he did an incredible job with this issue. As far as the issue its self...wow. I think Allyn above summed up my feelings. Bruce is going to be pissed off for a while...and I'm actually looking forward to what Tomasai is going to be doing in "Batman and Robin" over the next little while.

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

So y'know that new thing in the back of DC Comics where the little two page newsshow blurbs on their comics? It spoils the ending of Bat Inc #8. So anybody reading that in any DC Comic this week will be spoiled on the ending... if they haven't already been...

Who does the art on that, anyway? I think I first saw it in "Batman" and assumed it was Greg Capullo.

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Which is a pretty damn lame thing to do. The "news segment" thing is lame too. Am I really "paying" for this? Are valuable pages for more of the comic itself being used up for this nonsense?

13. Admiral_Young

The Channel 52 stuff is lame.

14. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Freddie Williams who did the new Captain Atom. The noses and the faces are in his style.

15. Professor Zoom

Oh, lord no. I'm simply saying that if they don't have respect for the Watchmen--a well loved COMPLETE story, why would they have respect for Morrison's wishes?

If bringing someone back from the dead will get them more dollars in the coffers, DC is going to do just that.

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Yeah, it's like they're a business or something.

17. Professor Zoom

Though, with some decisions, one has to wonder. But, yeah.

Though, I will give them credit: Levitz didn't go ahead with any sort of Watchmen stuff because Moore didn't approve. It was only after new people came in that they decided (rightly or wrongly) to exploit the Watchmen IP.

18. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Does anyone have any numbers of how well all the Watchman stuff sold? I have not purchased any of it as I will wait for the super cheap trades at con time in a year or so.

19. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

If I remember from the articles at Comics Beat correctly, all of the books started out around the 100k mark and finished around the 50k mark. Check out this article; it has the numbers for October, and the article recaps the previous months' numbers as well to show the trendlines.

20. Admiral_Young

I think the delay that happened really fizzled any real momentum that they had. I don't think we've ever got an explanation why the releases halted, I suspect that it has something to do with Joe Kubert's death. That's the only thing I can think of for why releases were suddenly halted for so long.

Aquaman #17: Another great issue, and the art has been terrific since Reis left. His departure hasn't affected the book at all. Arthur seems to be growing his beard again since there was some noticeable stubble. The pace of this book is exceptionally good as well.