Remington Steele comedy sequel being developed!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by bigdaddy, Oct 10, 2013.

1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

2. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I have just figured out who would be perfect for Olivia Steele, the daughter of Remington and Laura...

Jenna Louise-Coleman. She's the right age for the character (which would be mid-twenties), and Clara has the right spunkiness that the daughter of Laura Holt should have.

3. Lawrence B

Lawrence B Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Interesting. Have to assume they're opting to make it a sequel instead of a remake in the hopes they can snag Pierce Brosnan for the occasional guest spot.

Don't know about it being a half-hour comedy though. The original was a good mix of action and humor (along with Brosnan and Zimbalist's chemistry). Won't be easy to recapture that.

4. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I only vaguely remember Remington Steele as a kid, but I do recall that it had humor as well as action, adventure, romance, and mystery. I could see a remake emphasizing humor a bit more, and that probably would make it lean more towards being a comedy than a whodunit.

Hopefully, it'll turn out better than NBC's recent attempt to revive Knight Rider.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Isn't there already a Remington Steele remake? It's called Castle. :p

6. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

A sequel isn't what I think is going to be a failure, it's more the 22 minute idea. I rather they stick with the hour long and stick it on Thursday after their failing comedies.

7. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Seems an odd thing to make a sequel of, unless as has been stated they have a hunch they can get Pierce for the occasional cameo (and one assumes Stephanie Zimbalist as well). That’s really the only hook the show would have (and the name). At least the original had an interesting premise; it’s the 80’s no one will believe a woman can solve their cases so I’ll hire some bloke as a front, but even then it probably wouldn’t have lasted as long if not for the chemistry between the two leads.

Given we now live in the 21st Century I doubt Olivia would need to hire a man to front for her as a detective so it’ll be interesting to see where the humour comes from? Unless she takes more after her dad than her mum and actually has to hire a real detective who she then fronts for!

8. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I'm not averse to the idea here, which I think is better than a simple remake (particularly if the original stars can make occasional guest appearances). But I agree that the 30 minute comedy set-up doesn't make an awful lot of sense. I would have thought that this is better suited to being an hour-long comedy drama in the vein of Elementary or Castle.

9. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I actually thought that was one of the better attempts at all the endless remakes coming out these days.

As for this new Remington Steele idea, well... I'm not sure we need yet ANOTHER remake, but, I'll reserve judgement until I see it.

10. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

My lovely wife and I remember watching and liking the original Steele, so we picked up the season 1 DVDs a while ago. Either it hasn't aged well or we haven't. Not really liking as much as we remember.