Dennis Bailey's TOS/TMP Hybrid

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by FatherRob, Jul 15, 2013.

1. FatherRob

FatherRob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Several years back, I saw a rendered Enterprise by Dennis Bailey. It was the TOS nacelles on a TMP body (well, that's oversimplifying it) with other TOSisms injected into the overall aesthetic.

I only saw two images of it on Trek Movie back in the lead up to the first reboot film. I have long enjoyed the design, and have some spare parts around, so i was playing with the idea of building a model of the ship. I have looked online, but haven't found anything other than the two images I saw on TrekMovie.

I was wondering if there were any additional renders - orthos, etc., of the design that freely circulated that I am just missing. Or, if Mr. Bailey happens to be around, if he might still have images available for reference use.

Rob+

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

You can PM him. he's Admiral Buzzkill.

3. FatherRob

I tried that first... He has his PM's shut off.

Rob+

4. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm pretty sure you're talking about the U.S.S. Phoenix. A beautiful model for its time.

EDIT TO ADD:
    And here's the link to the whole thread Dennis created for the Phoenix.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  5. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I remember seeing a version of that in some FASA fed manual done by fans

6. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

No, that's not it. I know what he's talking about. A lot like the Prime Alternative, taking the TMP Enterprise as the starting point and 'defitting' it with TOS engines and livery...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yep, that's the one. :D (Original images from Trekmovie) It reminded me a lot of the cover of an old 1980's TOS computer game, The Kobayashi Alternative. (Cover image from Trekcore) And at the time I thought, "If I could remaster TOS and update the Enterprise, that ship (minus the 'neck' torpedo launcher and plus the 'fins' at the back of the nacelles) is pretty much what I'd shoot for."

7. FatherRob

Yep, that last one is it. I love the Phoenix too.

8. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No way! That was too recent! That was only like ...

Five years ago?

Wow.

9. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

How about venturing into the Neutral Zone and clicked on one of the threads he has started and asking him, he would likely see it then.

10. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Speaking of mash-ups...

You know, as much as some people (not me) really hate the new Alternate Universe "JJprise" - I think that there are some elements that are really cool - such as the rounded nacelles with the glowing Bussard collector endcaps (though they should be red) - and the rear-facing photon torpedeo tubes in the secondary-hull undercut (which I only recently noticed!)

But at the same time I think it's missing some features that I really like from teh TMP version (wich it's clearly taking a lot of cues from) - for example I miss the botanical garden windows, and the rec-dec...and the observation windows on the outside of the ship over the hanger-bay doors...which I don't think the new ship as (but I could be wrong)...

So I would LOVE to see a TMP/JJprise mashup. (Unfortunately, I *totally* lack the skills - and a working computer at home - to be able to make one myself (but I have a lot of ideas and) I'd love to see some other's take on a TMP/nuEnterprise mash-up...

11. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

^^^ It's actually already been done, in the form of Gabe Koerner's Enterprise (A.K.A. the "Koernerprise").

In fact, the JJPrise seems to have taken an embarrassingly large amount of "inspiration" from that particular design, which was done several years before NuTrek 2009 (and MUCH better looking, IMO).

Here is an early ortho rendering of it without too much texturing. Much of the lighting is unfinished, but it gives you an idea of where JJPrise might have come from. The front ends of the nacelles and similarities in certain lines on the hulls are quite stunning. You mentioned aft-facing photon tubes in the undercut? Guess who did it first...

[​IMG]

There's also a good thread about a "Prime Alternative" Enterprise and Galileo shuttlecraft that shows a nice series of upgrades on those two vessels. They seem a bit more TOS oriented than TMP, but still really nice on the eyes to look at.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  12. Mario de Monti

Mario de Monti Captain Captain

Looks great, thanks for that image and the links :techman: