Was Star Trek 11 too similar to Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by The Overlord, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Too similar? No. Alike in many ways? Yes. Phasers now shoot like Lasers, the Enterprise goes to Warp in a hyperspace style. Luke/Kirk similar stories of following their real destiny. Heck, Star Trek 11 even has R2-D2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0gpuYWCHtw

I think it's a perfectly fair argument to say that JJ wanted to make his Star Trek film in a Star Wars way since he is a very big fan of Star Wars and knows little about Star Trek.

Of course the people who argue otherwise are probably the same ones who said the NX looked nothing like the Akira class...

2. Brainsucker

Brainsucker Captain Captain

"Use the force, Kirk!" said Captain Pike

"Spock, I'm your father!"

"May Force be with you!"

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hmmmm.... I checked Memory Alpha, there's no mention of him being raised on a farm in TOS. I checked The Making of Star Trek, it just says Kirk is from "a small town in Iowa"

But "farmboy" Kirk definitely predates STXI. Maybe it's from one of the James Blish novelizations or original Bantam novels in the 70's?

4. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

There are a lot of similarities that are very hard to ignore. But something being "too similar" is pretty subjective, nor is it even really that much of a complaint. Star Trek being more like Star Wars is really a good thing for Trek movies.

5. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

^Agree on these points.:vulcan:

6. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, Star Wars has been a big influence on blockbuster movies overall so you can't expect Star Trek to be the exception.

7. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

The tattoos were meant to distinguish the Romulans from the Vulcans. And the tattoos looked nothing like Darth Maul's.

The planet was irrelevant. It could have been a desert planet or a jungle planet, and the results would have been the same. The fact that it was an ice planet was completely arbitrary.

The Wampa attacked and killed Luke's TaunTaun, then knocked him out, then tied him upside down in a cave in order to eat him later, where he then used his Jedi powers to retrieve his light saber, kill the Wampa, and escape before almost freezing to death. The anal-prolapse monster only chased Kirk into a cave before being scared away by Spock Prime. How is this is any way the same?

Kirk didn't get a vision about his "future destiny." He got a vision about the circumstances of the creation of his universe by Spock's actions.

I must have been in the bathroom when they showed Kirk living on a farm in the movie, because I don't recall seeing anything like that. Or are you assuming that, like Uhura did, just because he lives in Iowa, he must be a farmer?

Yeah, because no other movie has ever had those kind of plot elements. Just Star Wars and Star Trek.

The Remans were Nosferatu rejects, and were slaves, not independent miners. They did NOT wear trench coats; they wore leather getups straight out of a Tim Burton Batman movie.

And the Scimitar also looked like a Dominion battlecruiser, and an oversized Klingon BoP. Your point?

I can't think of a single instance in history were a group of slaves managed to build a huge warship, without help from anyone else, completely under the noses of their overseers, and use that warship to overthrow their masters. But that's what explicitly happens in Nemesis. It's patently absurd.

Yeah, because lifting ideas from other movies to create a hugely successful new movie NEVER happens...[cough]Avatar![/cough]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thing is, doesn't Abrams basically admit that Trek XI is influenced by Star Wars in a DVD interview? You know that thing where he talks about how he considers Trek to be the classical music of sci-fi and Wars to be the rock n' roll and says "I've always felt classical music could use some rock n' roll mixed into it."

9. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

If the Transsiberian Orchestra can do it, why not Abrams?

I just don't see this as a bad thing.

10. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

I though Luke just cut off one of it's arms. Not necessarily fatal.

:)

11. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Narada looked like the Shadow ships in Babylon 5.

12. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

And the Shadow ships looked kinda like the Lectroid ships from Buckaroo Banzai, therefore J.J. Abrams must in actuality be an undercover agent for... [Dunt! Dunt! Dunnnn!] ... Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems!

TruFax™ [​IMG]

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Episode VII will be about the Wampa seeking revenge against Luke.

14. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

If there are not Wampas in this movie I'm kissing this franchise goodbye!!

15. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

That Wampa did survive in the EU but was killed off in Darksaber.

16. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Just wait till JJ adds ewoks or frog rabbit gungans in his movies. Maybe we'll see some in Into Darkness. I'd like to see the Wars naysayers dispute that.

17. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I wanaa see Spock and Cumberbatch in a lightsaber duel .

18. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

We'll we've already had Sulu and his extendable Katana *cough* lightsaber homage *cough*. Wouldn't be much of a stretch.

19. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

I want to see Spock kill Cumberbatch in the first

two minutes of the film, before the opening credits.

That'll surprise the fans !!

:)

20. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not really, it'll just mean that the next scene is going to be something like "five days earlier" and we'll see the story devlop from there. A common Abrams trope.