So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Currently on War Dragons of the Captain's Table series. Neat concept but the actual story is somewhat bland. I'm enjoying the Excelsior sections more than the others in this book.

2. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just put up my latest review, Star Trek #15: Corona by Greg Bear. Right now, I'm reading the Errand of Fury series after having blown through Errand of Vengeance. These books are great! I'm really digging Kevin Ryan's writing style.

3. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

I'm reading The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold.

4. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

I finished Yoda: Dark Rendezvous, and I really enjoyed it. I felt it really captured Yoda as we originally saw him in The Empire Strikes Back. All in all, a HUGE improvement over Jedi Trial!

Now I'm starting Chindi by Jack McDevitt. It's a decent sized book, so I'm hoping that by the time I'm done with it Voyager: Eternal Tide will be out, and I'll be able to just jump on that one next.

5. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed this one to a degree, but I think that Deepsix before it and Omega after it are far superior.

6. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

Ummm... I don't want to necessarily prejudice you against Before Dishonor, but just be aware that it's going to be a significantly different experience.

7. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

I meant Q&A. Before Dishonor's supposed to be a real stinker, from what I've heard here. In which does Pluto get gobbled up by the Borg?

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Q&A was written by KRAD, not Peter David.

9. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I read all the relaunch books through Destiny back-to-back and I didn't think it was that great of a departure. Maybe I'm not very discerning.

10. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

Ah! Thanks for the correction.

At the moment I'm reading The Family Corleone by Ed Falco.

11. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just finished reading Twilight of the Elites: America After Meritocracy by Christopher Hayes. Truly brilliant look at the nature of modern institutional failure.

12. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Sounds like an interesting read SHO. I may have to check this one out. The reviews on Amazon are decent too.

13. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Just finished Siegfried by Alex Alice. It's a really good distillation of Wagner, Volsungasaga and the Nibelungleid with some really interesting new additions. The art is beautiful, with some fantastic looking landscapes and interesting character designs on Odin, the Valkyries and a very Henson-ish Mime. I will say it is a bit short, and 1/3 of the book is bonus material, but I enjoyed it a lot as a fan of that particular myth cycle and Wagner. I am sorely tempted to order the original French versions, as the official Archia twitter account told me the next two volumes won't be out in the USA until 2013 and 2014! In the bonus material, it seems that the comic is telling a similar but slightly different story to an animated project Alex Alice is spearheading, but I can't seem to find out if that came to fruition. Reminds me a bit of a what Darren Arronofsky did with The Fountain. (Release a Graphic Novel as a "pitch piece" while the film is limbo or post-production.)

As much as I intended to move on from TrekLit for a bit, I ended up reading Star Trek: TNG/X-Men - Planet X. I'm about 1/3 of the way through it. While it's not the most amazing prose it is a lot of fun, though I haven't really gotten to a point where the E-E crew or X-Men have a mission! I do enjoy the little mutual attraction Storm and Xavier have for each other. It's cute, if a little unsubtle. But it's not something I knew I was interested in seeing until I read it!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  14. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For the record, I deny all claims that I'm Sci. We've been seen online at the same time! :D

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Storm and Picard, you mean. Getting your Patrick Stewarts mixed up there... ;)

16. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Well, I happen to be in the middle of Forgotten History, and a biography of Cleopatra (I can't read just one book at a time).

I'm really enjoying Forgotten History. It's well-written, of course, with a good mix of familiar and (to me) unfamiliar characters. I like that all the viewpoint characters have understandable agendas, even if they're at odds sometimes. There's conflict and tension without a stereotypical, mustache-twirling villain. I can see how each character would take the stances they do, and how each reasonable stance would be at odds with other characters.

17. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

"City of God" is often required reading for history majors. It is an interesting discussion of things Roman. However, it is about 1000 pages long. I read it this year and am happy I did. It is part of "Great Political Thinkers" by Ebenstein and that Watergate famous recently deceased guy Chuck Colson refered to Augustine in his book "Kingdoms in Conflict" such that worldly and heavenly agendas may sometimes come into conflict. Persevere and it is rewarding to read old classics.

I am currently reading a collection of environmental essays "Inventing the Future" by David Suzuki (1989) which help contextualize the first Rio Earth Summit a bit. Still trying to get into "Crime and Punishment" by Dostoyevsky and still with "Mutiny on the Enterprise" by Vardeman. Slow going. Did finish watching DVDs for Season 3 of DS9 from library.

Must go to Star Trek exhibition at PNE in Vancouver. It shall probably be traveling elsewhere fairly soon.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  18. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

i should ask this in the novelverse thread but this is much more used.

Is this what the Nalori look like?

[​IMG]

19. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

:alienblush: I should read more carefully:lol:

20. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I had intended to start reading Michael Martin's TTN: Fallen Gods but I pushed it back to read at a later date (and given the reviews, I really am in no hurry to read it). A friend recommended that I try The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne so I'm about half way through book one. It's not bad.