Why was Kes written off the show?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Kooz, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The answer is 39 pages long and counting.

But People Magazine is most concise answer available.

If you read 1/2 of the first page to this thread you would understand what People Magazine means and a few other angles to the hows and whys of Jennifer's firing.

After 39 pages, your only question is to repeat the original post in the thread?

I assumed you were trolling.

2. Captain_Nick

Captain_Nick Vice Admiral Admiral

I was hoping for a nice short summary. What you gave me was shorter than I was expecting :)

3. Guy Gardener

They thought up a Borg Characer.

So they had to fire someone to make room in the budget.

They said lets fire Wang, he's bloody useless.

However between the airing of Scorpion one and two, during the months long hiatus break, somehow Garret Wang was placed on People Magazine's 50 Most Beautiful People in the World Yearly Poll, which back then was a really big thing...

They couldn't fire Wang now, and they still wanted to hire the sexy Borgette.

So they fired Jennifer.

4. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Nice summation. Can I go home now?

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Just click your heels together three times. :P

6. Guy Gardener

Watched Wicked yesterday.

Dorothy did not know what she was fucking with.

7. DeepSpaceWine

DeepSpaceWine Commander Red Shirt

Well, seeing as Lost in Space was a sci-fi series aimed at kids and G-rated family fare, over-the-top absurdity was to be expected, though that episode was so hilariously bad, 2 of the cast members forced so many cut takes they were written out of the next episode (the series finale). When you're trying to be serious, even in jest, that kind of uncontrollable laughter shows the material is weak. That can be good though. One episode of Mad TV was so funny, the cast had to hide their laughter during a few of the skits (hands over the mouth, turning away from the camera, other cast members ad libbing til the other member can get their composure back). It was quite fun to see. Laughter is contagious :lol: :lol:

Yeah, Lost in Space was more serious in Season 1, but it clearly delved into camp in Season 2. Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea also started out as more serious with the sci-fi before diving deep into the depths of camp. Expecting serious, mature sci-fi from Lost in Space is like expecting Shakespeare from Mister Ed. A horse is a horse by any other name, of course of course.

Didn't she have a kid shortly to months before that episode was filmed? When I saw her in "Fury" way back then (fun fact: that day was free scoop day at Baskins Robbins, which was a total ripoff as the scoop was tiny and not worth the long line) it seemed like after being fired from Voyager, she basically retired from acting and got into family mode. The weight seemed to be a result of her not expecting to get asked to come back. Either that or the trip back in time makes you gain weight (so many calories along memory lane) when you do so under your own (super)power as opposed to via technological doodads or big fancy ancient devices. We don't know the ins & outs of Ocampan superpowers or their side effects.

Earth had an atmosphere before life generated the oxygen. The issue is a breathable atmosphere to us aerobic lifeforms. The 1st era of life was a bunch of anaerobes to whom oxygen was toxic. I think it was a reducing atmosphere too, as opposed to the oxydizing (i.e. rust) atmosphere we've had now. Earth wasn't always a blue marble, though then again, we're not the original Earth. Yeah, the further back you go, the weirder it gets.

Assuming Ocampans breathe oxygen because Kes doesn't have a problem on the ship, there could be a geologic source of the oxygen or there was enough present and it wasn't being generated/recycled by life to make the cataclysm not make the air unbreathable. If I remember correctly, ice ages shift the oxygen percentage by a few percent.

I would say Spaceballs was my first act of (rare) juvenile delinquency, though I may have been too young to qualify as a juvenile. I snuck in near the climax of the movie when whatever movie I was at got out. Went to the bathroom, waltzed in (has anyone ever really waltzed in? I'd love to see someone make an entrance doing steps from a waltz) in the bathroom scene of all the scenes. Saw the rest of the movie. Later that summer, I saw the whole movie, legit. Should there be pride in committing such an act before even stepping foot into 1st grade?

Surely you jest. Voyager had great production values for UPN. Not sure how its budget compared to comparable shows on the big 4 networks (Fox just became the big #4 around Voyager's 1st or 2nd season), but Star Trek had budgets over $1M per episode. Babylon 5 was the one that ran a tight budget (finished under budget each season too) and spent < $1M an episode. Voyager wasn't cutting payroll, it was adding a new castmember while keeping payroll the same, meaning somebody had to get cut. It was Kim, but because he won a beauty contest, it switched to the next castmember with a 3 letter name starting with K.

8. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Italics added to highlight the offensive portion.

This particular avatar is there to make a point in a thread in Misc and it will go when the thread is dead. However, since you bring the issue up, your statement is not true. It's merely propaganda designed to justify an anticommunist crusade that led to the murders of millions. A personal request from me which has nothing to do with Trek is to please remove this murderous BS.

9. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The hammer and sickle at its most basic represents Communism, its not a way of expressing the approval of atrocities carried out under some Communist governments. Just like a US flag as an avatar is not necessarily expressing approval for invading Iraq.

10. Guy Gardener

I always thought it represented how important the proletariat was?

Besides, without Stalin, Germany would have won the war.

Hitler would have honoured his treaties (longer) with the Tzar, because a monarchy is trustworthy and dependable.

11. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

It's really sad to see how uneducated people seem to be about the Communist Holocaust. Honestly, it makes me sick.

I have friends and relatives who suffered under communist dictatorship so don't tell me any fairy tales about "anti-communist propaganda" and such rubbish.

Just some examples:

Hitler: 6 million murdered jews plus starting a world war which cost 40 million people their lives.

Stalin: 20 million or more murdered Russians and other Soviet people, 20 million or so who died of starvation caused by the Russan Communist regime plus the fact that Stalin helped Hitler to start WWII (the Molotov-Ribbentrop treaty, cowardly attack on Poland, the occupation and genocide in Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania and the attack on Finland in order to enslave that country).

Mao: About 80 million murdered Chinese plus the ongoing genocide in Tibet.

Pol Pot: One third of Cambodia's population murdered.

North Korea: The opression continues, not to mention millions of people dying from starvation.

Add to that the Soviet invasions of Hungary and Czechoslovakia which caused thousands of deaths.

And the atrocities of other local Communist leaders such as Ceausescu (Romania), Rákosi (Hungary), Tito (Yugoslavia), Enver Hoxha (Albania) and many more.

That is Communism!

If you don't believe me, there are books about Communist dictatorships to buy or borrow. I can easily come up with a list. Or read Solshenitsyn's books. he actually lived under Communist rule. Learn history! :mad:

12. Guy Gardener

Hitler was a communist?

You're confusing a political construct with fascist dictators who just happen to be crazy assholes.

13. Lynx

No, just stating the facts.

Hitler was a mass murderer and could be regarded as a "crazy asshole" as well.

But communist dictators like Lenin, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot and all the others are no better. They are ten times worse when it comes to imperialism, mass murder and opression.

You Will Fail wrote:
    You should change that to all Communist governments. Everywhere where the Communists seize power, it ends with executions, opression and concentration camps.

14. Guy Gardener

Hitler's second most vital mission in life was to destroy communism.

As a fervent Christian once the Jews had been wiped off the planet, the Communists were next, beuase that's what god wanted.

Isn't the enemy of your enemy your friend?

15. Lynx

Ask the people of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania which occupation they experienced as worse, the Soviet occupation or the German occupation.

Ask the people of Poland and Czechoslovakia (countries who were occupied by Germany early in the war and where there were strong anti-German feelings) what they thought of their Soviet "liberators" when the Germans once were driven out.

Ask the unlucky Soviet soldiers who had been prisoners of war in Germany and after being liberated by the Allies were sent straight to Soviet concentration camps as traitors against the USSR because they had had the bad luck of being captured by the Germans (being taken prisoner by the Germans was regarded as a crime in the USSR).

Ask the Finns what they thought of the sneak Soviet attack on their country when the USSR tried to enslave them in the same way as they had with Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.

Learn history!

16. Guy Gardener

So nothing bad ever happened before Karl invented communism?

17. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So Communism hasn't worked out that well so far.......yeah but Communism is just an ideology and there's nothing really wrong with supporting it if you're that way inclined

18. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, Communism itself, isn't bad as ideology, Star Trek promotes Communism. The problem we have is power corrupts humans and makes us greedy, so, the Rulers over Communist Countries have always been Totalitarianists and greedy, so, the result was not Communism.

Communism says nothing about the Government becoming rich, nor about conquering, enslaving or abusing other Countries or your own people. Communism merely says everything belongs to everybody, and everyone chips in where their skills improve the whole

19. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

What the Hell does any of this have to do with Kes?

If the Admins and Mods see no issue in stj's avatar, then there's no reason for him to take it down.

20. Captain_Nick

Captain_Nick Vice Admiral Admiral

It only took 40 pages but finally someone has brought the Nazi's into this