September Challenge: Secrets Vote Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Kaziarl, Oct 3, 2010.

?

September Challange: Secrets

Poll closed Oct 7, 2010.
  1. Cloak and Dagger, by Kaziarl

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Two Secrets for the Price of One, by Gul Re'jal

11.1%
  3. Secrets, by unusualsuspex

11.1%
  4. Immersion, by Nerys Ghemor

44.4%
  5. Far Away, Far the River, by Fleet Captain Frost

33.3%
  1. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

Since KobayashiMaru13 appears to be missing in action, I've taken it upon myself to create the voting thread to help out.

First off I'd like to say, as silly as this may sound, this is a month were all entrants are winners in my eyes. I'd have to say this has been one of the better months for the challenge, and everyone did a wonderful job.

Now that the sentimental junk is out of the way, here are the entries in no particular order:

Cloak and Dagger Written by myself, Kaziarl

Two Secrets for the Price of One by Gul Re'jal

Secrets by unusualsuspex

Immersion by Nerys Ghemor

And last, but certainly not least,

Far Away, Far the River by Fleet Captain Frost

2. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    ::::sits in front of her computer and howls:::::

I can't decide, I'd like to vote for 2, if not for 3 :lol: Tough choice!

3. Kaziarl

I feel your pain. Had there been more entries, I would have made it two votes per person. I might have been able to get away with it here, but it just didn't seem to warrant it.

4. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Can you vote for yourself now?

5. Kaziarl

Self voting has never been allowed.

6. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I defy you to stop someone from doing it.

I further defy you to prove someone did it if they're not stupid enough to post "I voted for myself."

7. Kaziarl

wth? where did that come from?

First of all, for as long as I've been here voting for one self has not been allowed. No, it doesn't stop them, but the couple of times in the past that I recall it happening the person was disqualified.

Secondly, it's an open vote. I'm sure you've been here long enough to know what that means, but just in case you haven't I'll tell you. We can see who voted for which entry. See the column with the number of votes? Click it. It will show you the names.

So yes, I see that FCF has voted for herself. I haven't said anything about it specifically since this isn't my challenge for the month. I simply helped with getting the poll up. The decision of what to do about it, in my mind, is up to the person who presented the challenge.

Now, as for the fact of whether it's against the rules or not, I simply refer to Nerys' post when the discussion came up during this very month in the challenge thread.
    http://trekbbs.com/showpost.php?p=4381034&postcount=19

8. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I've also been here long enough to know that wasn't always a feature available when creating a poll, and as long as you didn't know who voted for what, the only way to know someone voted for himself or herself was if they were dim enough to tell you.

This is hardly the first time this has been discussed. That's where my comment is coming from. It is a rule, but it's an idiotic one, as I've said on numerous occasions.

I'd feel sorry if FCF got DQ'd for voting for herself, because all that really happened was that she spent one vote on her own story. Nerys is still leading, so it's not like that one vote blew the contest wide open.

9. Kaziarl

I'm sure it's been discussed ad nauseam. All I know is that, to the best of my experience, it's been against the rules. So I responded to Jono in that regard.

As for FCF, like I said. As I see it, KM13 is the one to the make the choice. Until he says otherwise, FCF is still in because I certainly can't DQ her myself. Or rather I wont because I'm not the one that issued the challenge.

I'd hate to see her get DQ'd as well, I liked that entry quite a bit. Heck, I voted for it.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  10. Gul Re'jal

Personally I think voting for yourself should not be allowed (it should be made a clear rule, once and for all)... and I find it indecent. I can't imagine voting for myself, even if I thought my story was oh-so-great, it just doesn't feel... right :shrug: After all the whole challenge is to write a story for others to read and see if they like it. What's the point of voting for yourself?

11. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't worry, I voted for you. :)

12. Gul Re'jal

I appreciate that and I didn't worry :) Heck, I don't even want to win, because I wouldn't know what theme to choose for the next one ;) I just wanted to have fun in participating :D

As I see it: the stories that didn't get any votes aren't bad, but one has to choose something. If I could vote as many times as I wanted, I'd vote for Secrets for sure too (I had hard time to choose). The prevailing condition was that I just simply love Nerys's style of narration. But both stories' impact on me was equal - very, very strong.

13. unusualsuspex

unusualsuspex Captain Captain

Hehe! Thanks for the non-vote vote! :techman: XX

14. Kaziarl

I'm the same way. I often don't get any votes, and am excited when I get just 1. I don't care about winning, I just care about the writing and seeing what I can come up with.

15. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Okay, so every elected official who had the nerve to vote for himself or herself in a democratic election should be impeached? Or should never be allowed to run again? 'Cause that'd be a lot of people.

And this is the whole part of this debate that sets me off, the notion so many of the anti's seem to develop that voting for yourself is the source of all the evil and chicanery in the world.

You're given the vote to express your view in a contest. If, in your view, you have the best story or you just plain want to win, it's nobody's business but your own.

16. Kaziarl

I didn't say anything in that comment saying that voting for yourself is the source of all evil and chicanery, and we certainly are not talking about a presidential election. It's just a simple poll, so I'm not sure why you seem to be so up in arms about it. However, that's besides the point.

As for the self voting in the poll, it's been agreed upon by most of the people that it shouldn't be done. If you don't agree with it, thats fine. As you said, your personal business is your own. I don't vote for myself because of my own personal reasons, and I'm sure others have their own opinion of it. But the point still stands, it's been decided against by the majority of the people here.

And lastly, if this is something you feel strongly about I would suggest opening a thread to discuss the challenge rules and possible changes. If in doing so these rules get changed, then wonderful. Thats how society (be it a small group of people on a forum, or a nation of people) tends to work anyway. As for discussing it here, I would like to say this thread should be for discussing the entry's themselves.

In any case, have a nice day.

17. Gul Re'jal

We don't discuss presidential elections, we talk about short stories poll :rolleyes:

18. Nerys Ghemor

Yeah, furthermore, a presidential election has a much, MUCH larger sample. Here, it's far more likely that self-voting could actually swing the results, which is what is objectionable. The odds against that are beyond astronomical. What's more--you have constitutional right to vote in GOVERNMENT elections. This is private property, and your rights come from the owner of that private property. On private property, the Constitution gives you nothing. Right now the mods allow us to determine the rules as we see fit, but if a mod ruling is what it takes, then I will defer to that, seeing as they are agents of the property owner (AntonyF and T'Bonz).

19. KobayashiMaru13

KobayashiMaru13 Captain Captain

Congrats to the winner, and I'm SOOOO sorry, guys. I only have a mobile right now and TBBS is excruciatingly slow, and I couldn't do polls anyways. My apologies.

20. Nerys Ghemor

Thanks...that was a close race! :) It's an honor...I'll have a new challenge up in a few minutes.