A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

There are candid pics of Christie where she looks more plain than in the carefully lit headshot. I think she'll be a good physical match for Brienne. Robin Weigert can look much more attractive than she did in Deadwood after all.

2. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

I remember all the hand ringing when Mark Addy was selected as King Robert Baratheon. That turned out pretty well. I'm not worried in the least.

3. Shurik

Shurik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

After the first season, I have full confidence in the casting department ability. Whoever they choose is fine with me. And if GRRM himself likes the casting, it's even better.

4. superdeluxe

5. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

A spoiler-free interview with George R. R. Martin's editor about her role in the evolution of A Dance with Dragons.

6. klingonhybrid

klingonhybrid Ensign Red Shirt

Incredible series...Being a JRR tolkien fan, and waiting for the new hobbitt film sucks, but I now can read the GRRM books to hold me over....This show was EPIC

7. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

It was a good performance but he simply wasn't Robert the same way that Gethin Anthony simply wasn't Renly and Lena Heady wasn't Cersei. They've essentially created new characters to fill the roles and the names. Robert was closer than the other two, but I never once bought him as having once been the Robert Ned describes growing up with and fighting alongside in the books.

It'll be a little work but they have a much better canvas to work with making her look like Brienne than they did with Addy. If she ends up the same character as the books is still a mystery though.

8. Capt. Vulcan

Capt. Vulcan Vice Admiral Admiral

I imagined Asha to have harder features. Wasn't she supposed to have a nose like a eagles beak or something like that? When I read the book I imagined the Miyam Bialik or whatever he name is, the one that played Blossom back in the day.

9. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I imagined a younger Claudia Black. I also imagined Theon looking nothing like Alfie Allen though.

10. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Damn you. I'll find it hard to picture her as anything else now.

Huh. The stockiness I guess is important to me. Maybe Christie will put on a few pounds? I don't know, I want a thicker neck...

Eh. I never felt the distinctions were that severe, although I kind of see where people are coming with them. The thing about Robert is he's no longer the man Ned once fought with, he's a fat, drunken old sod. Eddard's perspective chapters are strongly coloured by the Robert he used to know, and it takes Sansa's rather flippant dismissal of the King for him to see more clearly. Perhaps Mark Addy seventeen years ago wouldn't be a good fit for Robert during his Rebellion, but he worked just fine for now.

And while I get why some people have an issue with Renly (being afraid of blood?), his charisma was something of an informed attribute. He's a frivolous vainglorious twit even in the books, fiddling in Highgarden with his Rainbow Guard and actually convinced his brother will support his claim.

Found Cersei pretty dead on, really. I forget what problem people had with the character - the Robert/Cersei scene, I think, which I found one of the show's early highlights. The objection being it didn't fit the canon statements of the private lives of Robert and Cersei's marriage, which I think is taking Cersei at her word a little too much - both in that scene, and her own chapters (as unreliable narrators go she's close to the worst int he series). But eh.

To turn things on their head, Kit Harrington never really fit the Jon Snow in my head. He was too dour, and he never seemed as sharp mentally. Conversely, Richard Madden surpassed the rather bland Robb of the novels... as if I'd have been happier if they swapped roles.

11. superdeluxe

12. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Captain Captain

13. Bacl

Bacl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Eccleston and Shepard as Stannis and Davos gives me a multiple nerdgasms.

14. Shurik

Shurik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's almost my dream casting. I also would like Eccleston as Stannis, but I always imagined Davos as Colm Meaney.

15. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Robert Carlyle is actually closest to how I envisioned Davos, but since he's doing that show on ABC I doubt he'd be available. Sheppard or Sheen would be excellent.

16. superdeluxe

Salon with a rave review, according to Westeros, no spoilers (And upon reading it myself, no spoilers):

http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2011/07/10/a_dance_with_dragons

17. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

One more day! :D

18. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whew, just finished my re-read of AFfC. Got home from work, picked up the book, and read for five hours straight. All caught up for tommorow! Granted, my opinion of the book didn't really change, it's still boring as hell compared to the first three ("Oh great, another Brienne chapter..."), but damn me if it isn't satisfying as all get-out seeing that bitch Cersei get her comeuppance at the end. :lol:

19. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

please use spoiler bar for those who have yet to start the series yet? plan to make this fall a totally fantasy month with reading all five books one after the other.

20. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

^Like the title says, this is a spoiler-filled thread thread for people who've read the series. If you want a thread with no or limited spoilers, you can always start one. :)