So how do you ignore someone....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Nick086, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Nick086

Nick086 Captain Captain

So how do you ignore someone that think your trying to copy or cheat off of them? I sit next to this girl in my 8:00 a.m. 101 History class. I know I do pretty well in the class I have a B+ average right now in the class I know I can can do better I'm not really into Antiquity like Ancient Rome and Greece. I'm only taking this class to boost my GPA after getting a C+ in Geology. What your best way to ignore jerks like that?

2. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

I'm confused -- do you think she is trying to cheat off you or does she think you are trying to cheat off her? I guess the answer to both would be the same: don't sit next to her.

3. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, elaborate a bit more, has she said something to you? ... like "stop copying my work"

Is she hot? Haha you're probably checking her out and she thinks you're trying to look at her answers

4. Nick086

Nick086 Captain Captain

No she isn't hot at all and she hasn't said one word to me. I don't go for chicks that think I am some kind of a cheater looking to get a head in the class. This would make for a perfect Seinfeld episode.

5. thestrangequark

^Again, don't sit next to her. Why is this complicated?

6. Nick086

Nick086 Captain Captain

This is a 101 history class there aren't going to be other seats available in the classroom. I'm not making this complicated, I don't know where you get that from? I was only asking a question.

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I don't understand what this means. Do you have assigned seats or something? Just get to class a couple minutes earlier and sit in a different spot before the room fills up.

8. Nick086

Nick086 Captain Captain

Where are you from if you don't know what 101 classes are? 101 classes are introductory classes. There are no assigned seats, but most students wouldn't like it if they see someone sitting in their spot since the first day of class.

9. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Introductory or not, college classes are for adults, and if an adult can't deal with someone sitting in "their" seat, maybe they need to grow up a little bit. If the other student doesn't like that you're in their seat, too bad for them. You're paying for your education, and if a different seat will make the learning experience better for you, take advantage of it.

There were times in my college career when I would arrive to class and find someone sitting in my normal seat? You know what I did? I sat somewhere else.

10. Ethros

If she hasn't said one word to you, why do you think *she thinks* you're cheating off her? (If that is the issue at hand)

11. thestrangequark

That's just silly. I doubt that things have changed all that much in the 5 years since I graduated university, and back then nobody cared where they sat. Just sit somewhere else and your non-problem is solved.

12. Nick086

Nick086 Captain Captain

It a community college, students there get mad over the silliest things including the older adults who are of a lower social class. Everyone sit where they like, nobody ever sits anywhere else. If you sit in their spot they turn into Archie Bunker from All In The Family. I'm not going to get into a verbal argument with spoiled teenager or some trashy person. I'm just going to try my best to ignore her if she thinks I'm trying to copy her notes or answers.

13. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^OK, then the problem is solved. I guess we can close the thread, then? You just ignore her. Simple.

14. Ethros

15. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

During my time in college, people only "cared" where they sat if they needed a power outlet for a laptop. And politely asking for a seat close to an outlet was a quick, easy process that I never saw someone say "no" to.

This thread is just odd. If the girl in question hasn't even said one word to the OP, why does he think she suspects him of attempting to cheat off her in the first place?

16. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I can't imagine why you're having problems. You seem to handle everything in such a mature, rational manner.

You're not in high school any more. This is a non-issue that you should be able to resolve quite easily in a number of different ways. If the girl keeps accusing you of cheating, tell her to stop or just ignore her, which you're inexplicably having problems with. If she persists, tell her to take it to the professor, and if she refuses, take it to the professor yourself. Change seats. If someone doesn't like that you took their seat, explain the situation to them (about wanting to move away from the other student). Being adults, they should understand. If they don't, tough luck, it's not assigned seating. None of these things are difficult or major problems.

Whatever you do, act more mature, get some backbone, drop the attitude, and stop classifying everyone as jerks, spoiled, lower social classes, or trashy.

What an irritating thread.

17. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Click on her avatar, it will take you to her personal page. Find of "User Lists" just under her picture, click on it, then click on "Add to Ignore List". Answer yes. Done.

Oh. :alienblush:

18. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

That's exactly what I thought this thread was going to be about, and I thought I might have to close it down in case it named someone the OP wanted to ignore. Then it turned out to be something even more silly.

19. kolibri

kolibri Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I used to steal seats in college. At community college. I always wanted the coveted back seats so I'd take them if I got there early enough. The most dramatic response I've had is a big sigh. Nobody will fight you because you took their seat. Don't let your perceptions warp reality.

Or you could just tell her to stand her book up on her desk and block your view like back in elementary school if she's really so paranoid about it.

20. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sit elsewhere and tell them you have vision problems if questioned.