THOR: Grading, Discussion, Review **SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Apr 17, 2011.

?

What grade do you give THOR?

Poll closed Nov 3, 2011.
  1. A+

25 vote(s)
    12.2%
  2. A

48 vote(s)
    23.4%
  3. A-

49 vote(s)
    23.9%
  4. B+

33 vote(s)
    16.1%
  5. B

24 vote(s)
    11.7%
  6. B-

9 vote(s)
    4.4%
  7. C+

5 vote(s)
    2.4%
  8. C

6 vote(s)
    2.9%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

3 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd say stick with the fire demon look. I'm sure they can tweak it enough to be not too Balrog-y. Or if you wanted to lampshade it, have some minor human character comment on the similarity.

2. flemm

flemm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think there are plenty of ways to make Surtur look unique. The Balrog is bit of a design obstacle, as you wouldn't want it feel too derivative of that, but really only a minor one.

3. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

THOR saw an increase of 45 screens this weekend. A likely indicator that it's fully entering the discount/bargain/$1 theaters about the country. Due to that it saw a 40% spike in it's take bringing it's total now up to $178.7m domestic and $440m worldwide.

4. flemm

^Very nice. It should reach $180 million domestic and, I guess, fall just short of $450 million WW.

Now, here's hoping Cap does at least equally well :techman:

5. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Overall I'd say that's a good performance. It was well-reviewed, and I imagine that Marvel is planning/anticipating that between that and the hopeful boost of the Avengers film will make future installments perform bigger (probably even moreso with Captain America).

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I think Captain America will do a little better domestically, and a little worse internationally.

7. drychlick

drychlick Captain Captain

it was a good 1st movie not great but good!:)

8. flemm

Intuitively, that's certainly what one would expect.

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it is kind of the safe bet, isn't it? :alienblush: :lol:

10. Captain Craig

THOR placed 20th this weekend in the rankings but the news is it's domestic total crossed the $180.1m domestic mark. Kinda of nice it did it same as Captain America opened. Thor's worldwide total is $446.1m

11. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118040898

Looks like they're interested in hiring one of the staff helmers from Game Of Thrones. Which, if you ask me...is awesome.

12. Captain Craig

^^^^
    Very cool choice. I've not seen GoT but I've seen so much positive about the series that the idea Marvel is approaching him sounds great.

13. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Very interesting development. I wonder who the other contenders might be for the job? I'm disappointed like everyone else that Brannagh isn't returning but if they can get someone who has as much passion for the project as he did, that's fine by me.

14. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

Among "other possibilities," they say Drew Goddard ("Cabin in the Woods"), James McTeigue ("Ninja Assassin"), Noam Murro ("300: Battle of Artemesia") and Breck Eisner ("The Crazies").

None of whom excite me like Brian Kirk does. It may be based partly on Marvel cheaping out, but they're giving a new guy a chance based on the skills that he's exhibited that suit the thematic premise of Thor. I think that's awesome.

15. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Out of those mentioned I'd be excited for either Drew Goddard or James McTeague. Not surprised if this is another case of Marvel Studios "cheapening" out on talent. They'd better be careful if this is the case or if this continues because it's gonna end up eventually biting them in the arse.

16. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

Talent doesn't have to be established or expensive, though. Talent can be up and coming, and therefore inexpensive. All the directing on Game Of Thrones has been top notch, and exhibited the technical and thematic skills required for a Thor story. So I think it's exciting. Even Fincher was just a commercial guy at one point.

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

It doesn't have to be established or expensive, but with the money at stake in these projects there's an obvious tendency to hire on the same basis that people in most any industry do: experience and track record on other projects.

Oh, I'm sorry, we're talking about writers - pretty much the bottom of the totem pole; the craft services guy in charge of handi-wipes is considered more crucial during production.

18. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I don't know which individual episodes of GOT Brian Kirk directed, but the idea of any of the directors of it doing Thor 2 is a good one. Particularly if Thor 2 is to go in a more fantastic direction, with more emphasis on Asgard.

Rather him than the list of journeyman hacks also listed there.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I haven't seen GoT yet so I can't judge Kirk's abilities, but I am glad to see then considering someone familiar with the fantasy genre.

20. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

If he's coming from Game of Thrones, that bodes well for Thor 2.