Lis Sladen

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

^ He has? I missed that.

2. Samson88B

Samson88B Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I have to agree with another poster that mentioned the internet concerning Patrick and Jon as well as you.......The internet was not around in those days so the Docs passing was not something that was known to the general public - except for the UK....???? I hope Tom stays with us for a LONG time...I will not be able to handle any more....Then all of the cast that got me involved with Who will be gone...Yes im very nostalgic as are many on this board. Like a previous poster said....I am one of those 40 somethings that was hooked on Who because of the magic of Liz, Ian, and Baker...I am a fan of Who because of them...Not saying that Jon and Katy could not have hooked me but the trio of the 3 mentioned is what got me...

However...Liz was very active in the Who universe and as well as SJA so its hard to forget someone who is currently acting and fresh on everyone's mind. But most importantly....you are correct...she had the ability to bridge the gap and do things that not many actors can do....Like the comment that was made about her....Its not good to meet your hero...But she was an exception.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  3. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
  4. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

Not to distract too much from the tragedy, but consider that EJA is perhaps thinking the same thing that you are, Mr Awe, but in respect to those calling for the show to continue filming. His motivations are obviously out of respect for Mrs. Sladen's legacy, as I'm sure are those of the people supporting the position of continuing the show. Perhaps a moratorium on any sort of discussion of the show's future?

5. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

6. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Nicola Bryant also said a few words on twitter:

Noel Clarke on twitter:

And John Barrowman is apparently so upset that he can't speak about it for a while:

According to Barrowman's feed, his 9 year-old dog died of cancer the night before Lis, so he's probably doubly upset now.

7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I just found out a little while ago and couldn't believe it, she was so wonderful and fun to watch. Fucking cancer.

8. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nice piece in the Guardian today

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2011/apr/20/elisabeth-sladen-sarah-jane?INTCMP=SRCH

Elisabeth Sladen – who played probably the best-loved Doctor Who companion ever, Sarah Jane Smith – died on Tuesday. Like so many fans, I'm bereft.
    Why was Sarah Jane so important? Doctor Who always had strong female characters, but unlike, for example, Zoe, the astrophysicist who lived on a space station, Smith was an attainable role model. An investigative journalist in modern-day Earth, her first appearance in the 1970s found her relentlessly pursuing a story – and refusing to make the Doctor a coffee. She was strong, funny and determined. And unlike some female companions before her, she didn't constantly trip, twist her ankle and scream "Doctor!"
    The genius of Doctor Who is that the Tardis can travel anywhere in time and space – it can never run out of stories. The weakness is that there's always an escape route – why stay in the apocalyptic wasteland when you could be whisked away to a planet with a beach and cocktails? The answer is mostly character-led: the Doctor and his companions are driven by curiosity – and courage.
    Elisabeth Sladen excelled in communicating that heart. Her Sarah Jane never lost her slight nerviness, the trembling lip that said maybe she'd prefer the beach-and-cocktails. She wasn't an action hero; she had to make the decision to be brave.
    When Tom Baker's Doctor left her on a suburban street and she strolled off whistling merrily, the audience longed to know what happened next. When she returned in 2006 to Doctor Who, and her own show The Sarah Jane Adventures, we rejoiced – and hoped for many more years.
    As I write this, I've just sent back the proofs of my first Doctor Who novel to the BBC. Selfishly, I'm mourning the fact that I'll never be able to write for Elisabeth Sladen. Along with many fans, I'll be donating to a cancer charity today, in her memory.

9. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

10. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

Flabbergasted, wishing it was not true.

Goodbye, Liz.

11. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    This is a great little interview with Lis from the years between Whos. Awful background music, but I think it's a fitting tribute to the intelligence of the actor as she's eloquent and insightful about meeting and working with Baker.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwusxNL0ts4[/yt]

12. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

13. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wouldn't have expected Barry to be included, as great and kind as the man was he had The Waters Of Mars dedicated to him in 2009.

As I only started with the show in 1988, it had ended before I really could savour it. So the first new Who to get excited was the Pertwee Radio stories in 1993 and 1996. Jon, Nick and Lis back together, scripted by Barry.

That Lis isn't around just seems wrong. Still I suppose it would have been worse for the gents had they outlived her.

14. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

Just heard about this now. Very sad. Will be watching School Reunion tonight.

15. Kirk1980

Kirk1980 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

....how do you think Tom feels? Well, actually, we know. Tom usually rambles a bit in his newsletters but with the posting about her death, he's clearly struggling (I think anyway) to put down all of what he's feeling.

Poor Tom:(

16. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

CBBC listings for saturday

pretty sure the episodes were planned to air anyways, Sunday sees a repeat of The Mark of the Berserker and The Temptation of Sarah Jane Smith (the episode where she goes back in time to meet her parents)

That fills the 15 minute gap between Doctor Who & Doctor Who Confidentail, quite well.

17. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

One of the reasons that people are so vocal and upset is because of the internet, but the other reason is that Elisabeth Sladen was a class act. From what I have read, people are almost more focused on her decency and kindness than on her part on Doctor Who. And not only was she a class act, but she portrayed Sarah Jane that way.

Humans can be base and vile creatures, but when it comes to the passing of someone so willing to be the best humanity has to offer, we too show the best of humanity in our response.

18. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Yep - they'd been included in trails for CBBC's Easter programming for two or three weeks already.

19. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

I dont normally have CBBC on my digiguide, so I added it to get those listings.

20. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But its just a shame the tribute has to air after one of the shows worst episodes (IMO).