What order should the TV series and movies be watched in?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by php111, Oct 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

The order of which they aired.

2. GameOn

GameOn Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That's a horrible way to watch especially as it starts with Enterprise. If you absolutely insist on watching TNG, DS9 and VOY concurrently then you're better of watching a season of each at a time instead of trying to do them all at once. That order tries to follow stardates which are never consistent and appeared less and less in later episodes. Also it lists Insurrection as taking place after DS9 which is contradicted by dialogue in the movie. Based on release date it probably takes place in the middle of season 7.

3. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^The website focuses on more than just Stardates due to inconsistencies.
    They explain the process in detail on the site. I also agreed with watching Enterprise after Nemesis in an earlier post.

4. php111

php111 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

So, this way I posted earlier will or will not work?

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'm simply confused at this point. Just grab something and watch it. Outside of DS9, order really isn't that important.

6. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

That's a great way to go. I'm going to try it myself someday when I can set aside 700 hours. And I agree with what GameOn said about Insurrection. I'd find the DS9 episode that referenced the Son'a and put the movie sometime before that.

7. GameOn

It's interesting to see where the shows fit chronologically but as a watch order its kind of a mess especially for first time viewers.
    There's no advantage to watching Star Trek 5 or Star Trek 6 between episodes of TNG as they are set in different centuries.

8. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Check out the video in my signature for a post TOS chronological mashup.

9. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:techman:

It's a chronological list...

No...

They explain...

10. GameOn

As I already said in a previous comment it's an interesting to see where the shows fit chronologically but it's pretty messy as a watch list.

The section you quoted was to do with TOS. I'm talking about later episode of DS9 and VOY which didn't have stardates half the time and much of their ordering it based on conjecture and story arcs.

I still think they're wrong.

PICARD: I'm going to ask Worf to delay his return to DS9 so he can join us.

PICARD: I don't know how they do it on Deep Space 9, but on the Enterprise, we still report for duty on time.

They seem to put a lot of importance on the line about Dominion negotiations but that doesn't mean it takes place at the end of the war. In "Statistical Probabilities" the Federation is in negotations with the Dominion and "In the Pale Moonlight" states that the Federation has put out peace feelers.

EDIT:
    A few more things that come to mind. The Federation is so desperate for allies that they accept a species that has only had warp drive for a year. To me this suggests that the Romulans may not have even entered the war yet.

The following line would suggest that the movie takes place in the middle of season 7.
    RU'AFO: The Federation is old. In the past twenty-four months, they've been challenged by every major power in the Quadrant. The Borg, the Cardassians, the Dominion.

The following line would suggest that the Dominion war is still going on at the time of the movie.
    PICARD: But these are perilous times for the Federation. I can't abandon it to people who would threaten everything that I've spent my lifetime defending.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  11. php111

php111 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

A BIG THANK YOU to everyone who took their time to reply to this thread and helped me and gave me all and lots and lots of info!

12. Toxteth O´Grady

Toxteth O´Grady Captain Captain

I agree with GameOn. I've always felt that Insurrection was set during the last season of DS9. Just based on dialogue I never got the impression that the Dominion War was over.

13. admiral_reliant

admiral_reliant Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I have watched them in the stardate chronilogical order, so you would watch the whole of Enterprise, TOS, TOS Movies, TNG and DS9 as there are some crossover episodes, TNG: Generations and First Contact, Voyager mixed with Insurrection and finally Nemesis

14. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^Don't forget Voyager mixes with DS9 after season 3.

15. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I might be too late for this to be of any relevance to the OP, but I sat down and created what I'm calling the 'Ultimate Guides' for TOS, TNG, DS9, and VOY (I'm still working on one for ENT), and thought I'd share them here.

The Ultimate Star Trek Viewing Guide
    TOS Season 1:

TOS Season 2:

TOS Season 3:

TNG Season 1:

TNG Season 2:

TNG Season 3:

TNG Season 4:

TNG Season 5:

TNG Season 6/DS9 Season 1:

TNG Season 7/DS9 Season 2:

DS9 Season 3:

DS9 Season 4:

DS9 Season 5:

DS9 Season 6:

DS9 Season 7:

VOY Season 1:

VOY Season 2:

VOY Season 3:

VOY Season 4:

VOY Season 5:

VOY Season 6:

VOY Season 7:

16. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Why is half of TOS missing, including The Cage?

18. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

It looks like all of TOS except "The Cage" is there, but rearranged so that some episodes are falling into different seasons. I'm guessing that they're in stardate order.

19. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

@Bill J: The Old Mixer is right. I arranged the TOS episodes by Stardate, but The Cage isn't the only episode missing; The Man Trap is as well.

BTW, the reason The Cage isn't on the list is because its salient points are covered by The Menagerie, and the reason The Nan Trap isn't on the list is because it's Stardates overlap with those of The Corbomite Maneuver and I was trying to avoid continuity errors.

20. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Which is a good argument why the TOS episodes were never meant to be watched in stardate order. You're throwing the salt vampire out with the bathwater.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.